Queen - ANATO DVD-Audio True Scheiner Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, I'm with you Mike, I'm over it! I was just curious if there were major differences, 'cause it'd been on my "To Do" list for years. Just not enough meat on the bones to worry about. If anyone else cares to double check my work or try another track, Have Fun, but I really just don't care much anymore :)
I'm more concerned now, why Tim's ATMP disc won't play :unsure:
ATMP = All Things Must Play!!!

I'm sort of over the whole topic. I'd be willing to sell you my 2001 at cost, if you're interested. I mean, really. It's interesting that there are differences, but enjoyment is what I'm all about, and the BD does it for me. Fully discrete. Effective and sympathetic mastering that sounds great to me.
I actually would be interested in that!
Partially because I am curious, partially because I am becoming a bit obsessive-compulsive about surround mixes, and partially because I met Elliot Scheiner back in the day when he produced a band called PM on Warner Bros. and he was as nice as he could be.
Oh, yeah - and I love Queen šŸ‘‘
šŸ˜

I actually would be interested in that!
Partially because I am curious, partially because I am becoming a bit obsessive-compulsive about surround mixes, and partially because I met Elliot Scheiner back in the day when he produced a band called PM on Warner Bros. and he was as nice as he could be.
Oh, yeah - and I love Queen šŸ‘‘
šŸ˜
Well, no foolin'. I have all 4 versions and I'm happy with the BD. If interested, I'll consult my records for the cost. Knowing me, it wasn't excessive and was a 'deal'.

Always remember that Brian May is a control freak at times. Roger Taylor and John Deacon had started work on mixing "Made In Heaven" (the Queen album put together after Freddie's death). Brian wasn't initially available so they mixed some tracks without him. When Brian showed up he insisted that was all thrown away and the mixes started again from scratch. Brian isn't always like that, but he seems to do it whenever anything has been done without any of his input. The Scheiner 5.1 mix may be a case in point. I still think in that case Brian was right to intervene, I much prefer his mix.
Wellā€¦at the end of the day, he is the artist and he knows better than anyone what his intent was. Stillā€¦I am curious to see what a studio wizard like Scheiner might have pulled out of the mixes.
What has drawn me to this surround sound hobby is exactly that - breathing new life into albums you have heard a million times.
Frankly, an album as classic as ā€œA Night at the Operaā€ canā€™t have enough mixes for me šŸ˜œ

Wellā€¦at the end of the day, he is the artist and he knows better than anyone what his intent was. Stillā€¦I am curious to see what a studio wizard like Scheiner might have pulled out of the mixes.
What has drawn me to this surround sound hobby is exactly that - breathing new life into albums you have heard a million times.
Frankly, an album as classic as ā€œA Night at the Operaā€ canā€™t have enough mixes for me šŸ˜œ
Ugh... I remember doing a series of reviews on ANatO, in the early days of LiS.
I wonder if I should do another video on it. In light of recent knowledgle. And while I have all four versions to reference...

I've been down the rabbit hole with a few people in the past about the two mixes. I guess I was not being authentic about "can't hear any difference" but I can't hear anything that sets either one above the other I guess. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading what people think! After all, I don't hear super good anymore although it's not totally degraded.
Lively discussion is good....I might not agree with your opinion but I -try- to respect it.
Queen is one of those groups for which I have favorites but do not at all like a lot of their effort. I DID have the first two LP's early on. Still get a chuckle when I read the title "the fairly feller's master stroke". I mean, c'mon, what a title!

Sorry, obsessives, but in truth there's actually 2+ mixes. The 2005 DVD+CD set is the only one that contains a 'real' remix of 'God Save the Queen'. The two DVDA use an upmix. I have no idea what the BluRay has. No one wants to post waveforms of a rip?

Wouldn't a fully discrete 'Prophet Song' be a new development since 2005? Or was that done back then? I forget. It's not mentioned in May's liner notes.

Just one note from a recent discogs purchase of the DVD-A. The May tweaked version was also pressed by PDSC CA even though there is no discogs entry for it (and the notes for the 2001 Scheiner version kinda implies the pressing plant distinguishes it from the May version) . My 2002 May copy also has the same mastering ID code as the 2001 Scheiner disc per the discogs notes.

So I think the added Co-Produced credit in the booklet and 2001 copyright date are the real distinguishing characteristics (perhaps the UPC hole punch as well)...

FWIW, like the mix a lot. While i would have preferred a more discrete mix, it really is a fun listen and brings out the insanity of the layers upon layers upon layers of the recording...

Hey Pupster, the old article linked from Queenonline (web.archive.org cache) stated that the initial disc was produced only for promotional DTS press kits at CES Las Vegas in 2002, and that by the time it took place, May had already undertaken the changes which resulted in the eventual retail release. The article is not complimentary of the original disc's mix, nor of its authoring. ;)

If you need to confirm your own copy, the Discogs page for this release has all the information you'll need. Mastering code IFPI LL07 is unique to these discs, I understand.

FWIW, I also struggle to enjoy Bohemian Rhapsody ... not sure whether I should blame my peers for always playing it at houseparties in our youth, or Mike Myers. :sneaky:
Finally got my hands on a Scheiner mix.
How someone could pan it is beyond me šŸ¤Æ
I have many issues with the referenced review, but as always believe beauty is in the ear of the beholderā€¦
The only thing the reviewer wrote that I agree with is this:

CONCLUSIONS & AFTERTHOUGHTS:

Evaluating 5.1 music is a subjective thing - given the exact same mix, two people will often come to two totally different opinions about the effectiveness of the surround design.

Word šŸŽ¶ šŸ‘‚šŸ¼šŸ‘šŸ¼

My complaint with the Scheiner mix is it is not sympathetic to the original stereo mix, which I am very familiar with. Scheiner made a different album, not a new mix of the same album.

My complaint with the Scheiner mix is it is not sympathetic to the original stereo mix, which I am very familiar with. Scheiner made a different album, not a new mix of
So you agree with the basic premise of the reviewer, which
My complaint with the Scheiner mix is it is not sympathetic to the original stereo mix, which I am very familiar with. Scheiner made a different album, not a new mix of the same album.
Different strokes for different folks as they sayā€¦
I am always up for an adventurous mix - but certainly understand that it is Mr. Mayā€™s prerogative to reel it in toward the original stereo mix.
I enjoy each and am glad to have them both.
For that matter, if Steven Wilson were to grace us with an Atmos mix of this classic album, Iā€™d be in for that too. Cheers!

I didn't realize that this still commanded such good money. Are any versions of this still in print? I've kind of lost track of which version is which.
I don't believe so, but the cheapest way to get a version of the surround mix is in the 30th Anniversary CD/DVD package. It's the Brian May-updated mix in DTS 96/24.

Back