Queen - ANATO DVD-Audio True Scheiner Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is the 2005 (i.e., DTS-only) version, the one with added dynamic range compression on the 5.1 mix and the first true 5.1 mix of God Save the Queen.
I listened to it and enjoyed the videos but the mix was average in my opinion. I saw in the liner notes that both May and Schiener were involved in the mix.

I've kindly been supplied with a track from the BluRay, in LPCM, DTS and DTS-MA. The latter two require decoding, which I have not done yet. But here's the previous image, with the BluRay LPCM added on top

Left channel of 5.1 Bohemian Rhapsody, top to bottom
2021 Bluray - LPCM
2005 DTS (decoded)
2002 DVDA - DTS (decoded)
2002 DVDA - LPCM

Apart from the obvious -- the 2021 BluRay is the same as the 2005 DTS, compression and all (making 'hi rez' rather pointless, incidentally) -- I have highlighted an interesting thing. These waveforms are all micro-aligned (by me) at the right end of the white highlight block. Note that the 2005 and 2002 waveforms are no longer aligned at the left end of the white block. This indicates the 2002 is shorter/runs faster than the 2005. I haven't confirmed with a pitch analysis yet.
BR_inlcueingBluray.png

Last edited:
I've kindly been supplied with a track from the BluRay, in LPCM, DTS and DTS-MA. The latter two require decoding, which I have not done yet. But here's the previous image, with the BluRay LPCM added on top

2021 Bluray - LPCM
2005 DTS (decoded)
2002 DVDA - LPCM

Apart from the obvious -- the 2021 BluRay is the same as the 2005 DTS, compression and all (making 'hi rez' rather pointless, incidentally) -- I have highlighted an interesting thing. These waveforms are all micro-aligned (by me) at the right end of the white highlight block. Note that the 2005 and 2002 waveforms are no longer aligned at the left end of the white block. This indicates the 2002 is shorter/runs faster than the 2005. I haven't confirmed with a pitch analysis yet.View attachment 81038
Thanks for doing the analysis! We appreciate it!

2021 Bluray - LPCM
2005 DTS (decoded)
2002 DVDA - LPCM

Apart from the obvious -- the 2021 BluRay is the same as the 2005 DTS, compression and all (making 'hi rez' rather pointless, incidentally) -- I have highlighted an interesting thing. These waveforms are all micro-aligned (by me) at the right end of the white highlight block. Note that the 2005 and 2002 waveforms are no longer aligned at the left end of the white block. This indicates the 2002 is shorter/runs faster than the 2005. I haven't confirmed with a pitch analysis yet.View attachment 81038
Or it could mean there is an edit(s) somewhere. I’m not saying there is, but at a glance it seems like the misalignment happens fairly suddenly and then maintains after that.

Edit: i just saw that you also noted it could also be shorter, i.e. an edit. I might be wrong, but it looks to me like there could be an edit in the section about ~35-40sec or so after the highlighted area.

Last edited:
Such an edit could not be *after* the highlighted area in the above image. If it was, the entire length from nonhighlighted start to the right end of the white box, would have been aligned.

Now, if I instead extremely carefully** align the waveforms at the *start*, instead of in the middle of the track, the 2021/2005 are already obviously out of synch with the 2002 by ~2.8 sec into the alignment:

3sec.png

This suggests a speed difference, not an edit, as the cause

**as before, the alignment was done at a much higher magnification than this image, this time at a point ~0.7 sec into the alignment, i.e. where the white highlight box starts.

Last edited:
Such an edit could not be *after* the highlighted area in the above image. If it was, the entire length from nonhighlighted start to the right end of the white box, would have been aligned.

Now, if I instead extremely carefully** align the waveforms at the *start*, instead of in the middle of the track, the 2021/2005 are already obviously out of synch with the 2002 by ~2.8 sec into the alignment:

View attachment 81080

This suggests a speed difference, not an edit, as the cause

**as before, the alignment was done at a much higher magnification than this image, this time at a point ~0.7 sec into the alignment, i.e. where the white highlight box starts.
Ahh I see now I think (I’m viewing it on my phone so it’s small) - the areas before and after the highlighted area are in of sync. But the highlighted area looks pretty synched up so there is either an edit in both non-highlighted areas or they pasted in two (or more) separate pieces outside the highlighted area which run at different speeds. The former seems more likely to me, but it could be either could be possible I suppose.

No, you are misinterpreting/seeing. The part after the highlighted area is NOT 'in of' synch. It is quite 'out of' synch. The part within the highlight box is ALSO out of synch, but the out-of-synch only becomes easily visible at this magnification at around 2.7 seconds. In other words, I chose to end the highlighted section where the synch problem is plain to see -- a big peak -- but if you look carefully before it you can see other small peaks already aren't lined up. At very high magnification you'd see that they samples start to go out of synch almost immediately.

And if I showed the whole alignment, instead of the first 3.5 seconds only, you'd see the synch getting progressively more 'out' as time goes on. Indicating, again, not likely to be an edit problem.

Last edited:
FWIW, there is no sample rate conversion involved in these rips (and two of them involve no DTS decoding, just straight PCM rip) so the difference would have to gave been introduced during production..i..e. baked in to the discs.

And yes, DSP can change speed but maintain pitch, or change pitch but maintain speed. Very useful for learning bass parts ;> But not done here ...by me, at least.

2021 Bluray - LPCM
2005 DTS (decoded)
2002 DVDA - LPCM

NB the BluRay was released in 2013, not 2021.

Back