Queen fans-Freddie Mercury-Lover of Life Singer of Songs 2 cd/2 dvd DTS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterzach

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I have been on a bit of a Queen kick lately for my music listening and was missing some of the later Queen cd's which I never gave a chance. In the process of that I never did pick up the Freddie solo albums and in checking on his solo stuff I was surprised to find out that this compilation has 2 cd's of almost all Freddie's solo as well as a Dvd going over Freddie's life from a child to when he became the star singer in Queen but the surprise here for quad fan's is there is also a Dvd with all his solo videos and they are in DTS 5.1. I have only given it a couple of listen's so far but the surround is fairly well done and I got the whole package for $20 dollars which I think is a pretty good deal for all what you are getting. Has anyone else gotten this set?
Here is link for where I picked this up from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220630711884&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

You can probably get this set with NTSC version for the Dvd's but the set I got was the PAL region 0 and my Oppo BR player played them fine.

Here is a break down of the 2cd/2dvd set:

http://www.recordcollectormag.com/articles/article-detail/195

thanks for the notice - i was in the fifth grade when i won - another one bites the dust - 45 - at my public school fair musical chairs - and havent given up on them yet - well, somewhere around - radio goo goo - radio gaa gaa - i did - but the earlier stuff is still some of the music i use to test any new gear i may get - thanks for the heads up. oh yeah - what is DTS?
you dont have to answer - i will get it anyways.

w.a.reid

it is a nice compilation, but reading that topic makes me wonder again what happened to the Queen Greatest Hits III DVD - since they are very apt at milking everything out of the franchise, it is strange that this series was discontinued; I assume sales couldn't have been that bad?

thanks for the notice - i was in the fifth grade when i won - another one bites the dust - 45 - at my public school fair musical chairs - and havent given up on them yet - well, somewhere around - radio goo goo - radio gaa gaa - i did - but the earlier stuff is still some of the music i use to test any new gear i may get - thanks for the heads up. oh yeah - what is DTS?
you dont have to answer - i will get it anyways.

w.a.reid

I know you said, no reply required but putting DTS in heading was just a heads up to people here that the 5.1 surround does have a DTS stream which while not as good as Dvd Audio is better than had they just put a Dolby Digital as a choice on this release.

I like reading posts like yours that say how you first came across a band.
For me it was getting 'Sheer HeartAttack' and listening to song 'Now I'm Here' on headphones with Freddie singing he's here and then there between left and right sides and then band letting loose after that, just awesome, I could just drigt away on the Queen rock"roll musical ride. I was sold on them and got Queen 1 and 2 and then eagerly looked forward to each new album after that with some pretty big winners,Night of the Opera,etc.
Funny your Radio Ga Ga comment, Queen kind of lost it for me as well once they started getting more disco'y and club sounding stuff in songs and I think they just lost some of their steam in the 80's where early albums every track was good IMO.
I even went to watch the forgettable film 'Flash' or was it Flash Gordon because Queen was involved in the soundtrack.

The Freddie stuff does reflect more of the 80's Queen so you do get hits and misses on this comp but it is great hearing Freddie having so much fun doing all this stuff including the pop meet Opera stuff(Barcelonia).

peter

The videos from this release are now re-booted as part of the Never Boring deluxe box set and some sources report that they now come in 5.1 dts-HD MA:
Taken from the very best original source material available, the full “Never Boring” collection contains three CDs with 32 tracks; a Blu-ray and DVD featuring 13 promo videos and interview; a 120-page 10”x10” hardback book full photos, many of them rare and unpublished, as well as thoughts and choice quotes from Freddie himself, and an introduction from Rami Malek, who earned an Oscar for his portrayal of Freddie in Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”. Specially created insert packaging includes a double-sided poster containing an image of Freddie and an original work from synesthetic artist Jack Coulter inspired by the song “Mr Bad Guy”.

1 Made In Heaven (4K Remake)
2 The Great Pretender (4K Remake)
3 Living On My Own (4K Remake)
4 Barcelona (4K Remake)
5 I Was Born To Love You (4K Remake)
6 Time Waits For No One
7 In My Defence (2000 Re-Edit)
8 Living On My Own (No More Brothers Radio Mix)
9 The Golden Boy (La Nit Performance, Barcelona / 1988)
10 How Can I Go On (La Nit Performance, Barcelona / 1988)
11 Barcelona (La Nit Performance, Barcelona / 1988)
12 'Time' Interview, 1986
13 The Great Pretender (Extended Version / 4K Remake)
14 Barcelona (Live At Ku Klub Ibiza, 1987 / 4K Remake)

The three CDs include a new 12-track compilation of many of Freddie’s greatest solo performances; a newly mixed 11-track special edition of “Mr Bad Guy”; and the nine-track 2012 special edition of “Barcelona” featuring full orchestra. The Blu-ray and DVD of Freddie’s promos and his stage performances with Montserrat Caballé include eight that have been painstakingly reassembled from the original 35mm film rushes to give them the best-ever visual and sound quality.

Back