HiRez Poll Queen - NIGHT AT THE OPERA [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Queen - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

• Total voters

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So, is the 2002 Scheiner/May DVD-A mix the same as the 2005 Scheiner/May DVD-V mix?
And, which mixes appear on the Best of video?
Seem to remember May tweaked it some more. There's a discussion about it on here somewhere.
IIRC, God Save the Queen was mixed discretely and part of The Prophet song, for the 30th anniversary.
So, I guess there are 3 different versions. The question my mind was trying to formulate before was whether Scheiner's work carries over to the 30th and the video collection or not. And is the BD the 30th anniversary mix or a clone of the 2nd DVD-A?

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
IIRC, God Save the Queen was mixed discretely and part of The Prophet song, for the 30th anniversary.
So, I guess there are 3 different versions. The question my mind was trying to formulate before was whether Scheiner's work carries over to the 30th and the video collection or not. And is the BD the 30th anniversary mix or a clone of the 2nd DVD-A?

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
i can't remember and i can't check right now, does the piano bit before the "nothing really matters" bit in Bo Rhap pop up in the rear on the DVD video collection?

Last edited:

Frogmort

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
This whole entire article HERE is an absolute must read. I have it saved under my favorites. Thanks to Scott65 for posting the link.

From my understanding, the first 2001 Scheiner only mix was more of a rough draft, then with May they both went back and spent much more time polishing it up for the 2002 mix. I have both, and while they are quite similar overall, there are a few things that stand out as a bit more prominent on the 2001, but also a lot of stuff that seems even better on the 2002. One example, near the end of The Prophet when the music kicks back in after the a cappella section, the 2002 version dances/bounces back and forth, front to rear, and also kind of side to side. The 2001 version does not. They seem to be essentially the same bed-mix, but the 2002 seems to have a lot more little things tweaked in a good way to me.

Although I don't have it, I've read that the blu-ray includes God Save the Queen in discrete elements that weren't available at the time of the earlier versions, but since that song is one minute long at the very end of the album, and also the fact that the blu-ray was apparently heavily compressed compared to the earlier DVD-A's, I'd prefer to stick with them.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
here are questions I feel have never been definitively answered, sorry:

1) is the 2005 DVD-V truly a remix, or is it just a different mastering of the Scheiner/May 2002 DVD-A mix?

2) is the 2013 BD the same mix/mastering as an earlier version, or a different mix/remastering (disregarding 'lossy' vs' lossless')?

3) were the original multitracks for the middle of 'Prophet Song', which were missing when the 2002 Scheiner/May mix was done, ever found and used for any later release? (We know that the answer is YES for 'God Save the Queen', which first appears in discrete 5.1 on the 2005 DVD-V, but I have not seen definite word on Prophet Song)

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
1) is the 2005 DVD-V truly a remix, or is it just a different mastering of the Scheiner/May 2002 DVD-A mix?
It's a different mastering, but with one exception: "God Save The Queen" is an upmix on the old DVD-A, and it is discrete on the DVD-V. Guess they found the tapes later.

Fascinating read on the making of the old DVD-A disc. Apologies if this has been posted before (and I see it has, RIP me).

Last edited:

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
It's a different mastering, but with one exception: "God Save The Queen" is an upmix on the old DVD-A, and it is discrete on the DVD-V. Guess they found the tapes later.

Fascinating read on the making of the old DVD-A disc. Apologies if this has been posted before.
Was "God Save the Queen's" track discrete on the BD~A? I have both the DVD~A and the BD~A .... just wondering.

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Was "God Save the Queen's" track discrete on the BD~A? I have both the DVD~A and the BD~A .... just wondering.
Not sure actually, though I guarantee @fredblue would know. Apparently some of those Universal HFPA discs that are reissues of old 5.1 mixes DO have subtle differences compared to old DVD-A/SACD issues. I read that the fronts are phase-inverted on Beck's Sea Change and the rears were lowered on Elton's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

It's really crazy there's so many versions of this title that really aren't all that different, personally I'm still content with the old '02 DVD-A. I've heard Scheiner's original version and there are some subtle mix differences, and "Bohemian Rhapsody" appears to be more dynamic (I posted waveforms here), but I wouldn't go lengths and spend the big bucks to track that down over May's tweaked version.

Now this may be blasphemy, but I actually think The Game is a better disc :eek:

Last edited:

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Not sure actually, though I guarantee @fredblue would know.

It's really crazy there's so many versions of this title that really aren't all that different, personally I'm still content with the old '02 DVD-A. I've heard Scheiner's original version and there are some subtle mix differences, and "Bohemian Rhapsody" appears to be more dynamic (I posted waveforms here), but I wouldn't go lengths and spend the big bucks to track that down over May's tweaked version.

Now this may be blasphemy, but I actually think The Game is a better disc :eek:
Likewise, I LOVE the DTS Entertainment's DVD~As of both ANATO and The Game. Really wish Hollywood Pictures had licensed all the Queen albums to DTS at the time, when they were on that incredible MLP DVD~A ROLL!

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
How do you know so much? Fantastic.
This is well known ; as even I mentioned:
3) were the original multitracks for the middle of 'Prophet Song', which were missing when the 2002 Scheiner/May mix was done, ever found and used for any later release? (We know that the answer is YES for 'God Save the Queen', which first appears in discrete 5.1 on the 2005 DVD-V, but I have not seen definite word on Prophet Song)

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just voted on this for the first time. A solid "10" from Baggy!
I also just shot a surround review of the album, which should appear on the Life in Surround YouTube channel pretty soon
(toddler permitting)...
:QQlove:rocks

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I didn't know this existed! I don't see it for sale anywhere... any one know of any sites still selling the HFPA release?
afaik all versions of the 5.1 are currently out of print.

while the HFPA is the most recent release of the 5.1 it is scarcer and pricier than either the 30th Anniversary CD+DVD-V (5.1 is DTS @96/24) or DVD-A at this point.

if format is not a consideration i'd go for any of the DVD-based releases.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
$50 for the BD is the cheapest I see for the uncompressed master, on eBay, at the moment.
Might be worth checking Amazon and discogs too. Happy hunting.
I don't recommend the 30th Anniversary, unless it's the only version in your budget.
In that case, lower your fronts around 3db.