Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Queen - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

• Total voters

keywhiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
So let me see if I have this straight:

We have two polls for this album:

This poll for the DVD-A released in 2002 AND for the Blu-Ray released in 2013.

And THIS poll:

for the DVD-V version released in 2008 or thereabouts.

But the BluRay contains the same mix as the DVD-V version and not the DVD-A?

Am I the only one who finds this forum very confusing sometimes?

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
This whole entire article HERE is an absolute must read. I have it saved under my favorites. Thanks to Scott65 for posting the link.

From my understanding, the first 2001 Scheiner only mix was more of a rough draft, then with May they both went back and spent much more time polishing it up for the 2002 mix. I have both, and while they are quite similar overall, there are a few things that stand out as a bit more prominent on the 2001, but also a lot of stuff that seems even better on the 2002. One example, near the end of The Prophet when the music kicks back in after the a cappella section, the 2002 version dances/bounces back and forth, front to rear, and also kind of side to side. The 2001 version does not. They seem to be essentially the same bed-mix, but the 2002 seems to have a lot more little things tweaked in a good way to me.

Although I don't have it, I've read that the blu-ray includes God Save the Queen in discrete elements that weren't available at the time of the earlier versions, but since that song is one minute long at the very end of the album, and also the fact that the blu-ray was apparently heavily compressed compared to the earlier DVD-A's, I'd prefer to stick with them.
I doubt I’ll ever get to hear the original Scheiner mix, but as much of a surround God as he is, I can’t imagine the original mix being any BETTER than this one.

If there ever was an album that was “made” to be in surround, it’s this one. I think I’ve always imagined it in surround in my head when listening to it. “Prophet’s Song” and BR always needed “more” than just stereo, IMO

And this is almost exactly how I always imagined the album would sound. And who can really argue with Brian May being the one to make the changes?

This really is a perfect surround album, IMO. I suppose there may be issues with mastering and maybe some of it being too “hot” was there even back in ‘75? I dunno. I played this album to death back then with no complaints about any imperfections that may have existed and I don’t hear them now either.

Albums like this are why I’m a surround fan.

BTW, I have the CD/DVD-V version and apparently I voted in the wrong poll. Oops.

Last edited:

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
Well, the DVD-A and DVD-V are nearly identical mixes too. Very different mastering though. The DVD-A is much better balanced, while the DVD-V has cooked fronts, which can overpower the surrounds, at times.
Ok. So that explains two different polls for those two versions. But the BluRay is the DVD-V mix with, presumably, the same “cooked fronts”.

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
After 2001 it all the same mix... If the BD has the DVD-V style mastering that's sad.
The 2008 DVD-V is a different mix. For at least GSTQ and some say that the middle section Prophets Song is different as well.

I dunno. Just going on what I have read.

Just seems confusing to me that we have polls that sometimes combine various reissues and other times split them up. And then we spend multiple pages discussing various versions and masterings and not the mixes and the music.

I get that when an album such as this has so many various versions that some of that discussion becomes inevitable. But at the same time, if I wanted to spend my afternoons looking at tiny numbers printed on discs through a magnifying glass, I’d probably be at that “other” forum more! 🤣

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I doubt I’ll ever get to hear the original Scheiner mix, but as much of a surround God as he is, I can’t imagine the original mix being any BETTER than this one.
I've heard the Scheiner-only promo DVD-A and the more common Scheiner/May DVD-A. To my ears the differences are quite subtle. Scheiner's original mix of "Bohemian Rhapsody" is quite a bit more dynamic than the May-tweaked version, and on the opera section the piano is completely isolated in the rears. No trace whatsoever in the other channels.

I think I've linked this article before, but it's an interesting read. Apparently things between Scheiner and May soured during the making of the surround mix.

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
I've heard the Scheiner-only promo DVD-A and the more common Scheiner/May DVD-A. To my ears the differences are quite subtle. Scheiner's original mix of "Bohemian Rhapsody" is quite a bit more dynamic than the May-tweaked version, and on the opera section the piano is completely isolated in the rears. No trace whatsoever in the other channels.

I think I've linked this article before, but it's an interesting read. Apparently things between Scheiner and May soured during the making of the surround mix.
Yes. I read that article when you linked it before. Great read.

But I have to say I don’t read “soured” in his account. They had some differences, Scheiner says he stood up for himself and May appreciated it. Collaborative efforts between dedicated artists and craftsmen rarely go without any conflict. This one sounds like it went pretty well to me

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
The 2008 DVD-V is a different mix. For at least GSTQ and some say that the middle section Prophets Song is different as well.

I dunno. Just going on what I have read.
So, I've actually A/B'ed both and hear NO difference, besides the mastering. GStQ and Prophet Song are already discrete on the 2002 disc. I think whoever wrote the DVD-V liner notes had a foggy memory.

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
So, I've actually A/B'ed both and hear NO difference, besides the mastering. GStQ and Prophet Song are already discrete on the 2002 disc. I think whoever wrote the DVD-V liner notes had a foggy memory.
The notes are credited to Brian May in August 2005.

Last edited:

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
For "The Prophet's Song", it's not the entire track that's upmixed, just the middle portion with the voices. I'm looking at the waveforms from the 2002 DVD-A and that particular section just looks like "double stereo". The resulting effect is that the voices are alternating between the phantom side channels, which does sound sort of surround-y, but it's really just the same audio copied to front and rear.

As for "God Save The Queen", same thing. I don't hear or see anything in the rears that isn't also upfront.

Also, I played this disc the other day and I have to say my player did not like the authoring. It was a struggle just to select a track.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Well, I stand by what I said. The supposedly upmixed tracks from 2002 and the 2008 versions just don't sound different.
Furthermore, the 2002 tracks are plenty surroundy. So, whatever B. May thinks he did to improve them didn't do much, to these ears.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Yes. I read that article when you linked it before. Great read.

But I have to say I don’t read “soured” in his account. They had some differences, Scheiner says he stood up for himself and May appreciated it. Collaborative efforts between dedicated artists and craftsmen rarely go without any conflict. This one sounds like it went pretty well to me

Same here. And here is the way to tell the Scheiner mix from the Scheiner-May mix:

"Brian also had me move certain things. In 'Bohemian,' when it cuts to the opera section, I originally put the piano in the rear for those quarter notes: da da da da, da da da da. Everything went to black except there. But Brian said, 'Can we bring it out to the front a little?' So I did - and it just doesn't have the same impact for me. I thought my version was good because it drew your attention, it did something different, it wasn't ordinary. But that's my opinion. Brian's the artist. His name's on that record, not mine."

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
GSTQ was definitely reported to be an upmix when the DVD-A was released-- multis could not be found. And one of the few publicized selling points of the later DVD-V was that the GSTQ multis had been found in the interim, and were used.

I suppose a waveform comparison could settle the issue.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
So, taking a super-deep listen to GStQ on both the 2002 DVD-A and the 2008 DVD-V, I think I perceive certain elements of the DVD-V mix to be more discrete, like in the corners. On the DVD-A, these elements seem to be more in the "phantom sides" of the room.
And this could be power of suggestion. It's really not something I'd likely discover without intentionally listening for it.
Now, the DVD-A sounds a shit-ton better, and the added discreteness of the DVD-V isn't so much of a thrill that I feel it's worth writin' home about, as they say.
So, my opinion is the 2002 DVD-A can't be beat.

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
So, taking a super-deep listen to GStQ on both the 2002 DVD-A and the 2008 DVD-V, I think I perceive certain elements of the DVD-V mix to be more discrete, like in the corners. On the DVD-A, these elements seem to be more in the "phantom sides" of the room.
And this could be power of suggestion. It's really not something I'd likely discover without intentionally listening for it.
Now, the DVD-A sounds a shit-ton better, and the added discreteness of the DVD-V isn't so much of a thrill that I feel it's worth writin' home about, as they say.
So, my opinion is the 2002 DVD-A can't be beat.
Again the LOSSY vs.LOSSLESS controversy. Too bad one can't have the very best of both worlds. Adding a LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1 mix to the 2008 DVD~V would've certainly balanced the equation. The 2002 remix will always be my go to version.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Again the LOSSY vs.LOSSLESS controversy. Too bad one can't have the very best of both worlds. Adding a LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1 mix to the 2008 DVD~V would've certainly balanced the equation. The 2002 remix will always be my go to version.
Not sure if lossy/lossless as opposed to mastering, but same wish, yeah.

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Not sure if lossy/lossless as opposed to mastering, but same wish, yeah.
I equate LOSSY to 480p versus higher def [Lossless] 1080p and now 4K. Would you shoot your Life in Surround videos in 480p when you have the capability to shoot them in 1080p? Why settle for LESS, Mike?