HiRez Poll Queen - NIGHT AT THE OPERA [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Queen - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

• Total voters

JediJoker

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Adding a LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1 mix to the 2008 DVD~V would've certainly balanced the equation.
It is my understanding that while LPCM 5.1 is in the spec for DVD-V, it was not well supported by manufacturers and therefore rarely used. Consider that the album alone would take up 4.46 GB in that format, leaving essentially no room for anything else on a standard single-layer DVD (4.7 GB).

Last edited:

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
It is my understanding that while LPCM 5.1 is in the spec for DVD-V, it was not well supported by manufacturers and therefore rarely used. Consider that the album alone would take up 4.46 GB in that format, leaving essentially no room for anything else on a standard single-layer DVD (4.7 GB).
I'm almost certain it is doable [in the absence of video] and furthermore, LPCM incurs no further licensing fees [as does MLP DVD~A 5.1]. Quite a few discs in my collection utilize LPCM to great effect!

I have the Lord of the Rings Trilogy boxsets on MLP DVD~A 5.1 and one DVD~A disc holds over 2 hours of MLP DVD~A 5.1 24/48 audio. By contrast, ANatO runs 43 minutes!

Linear pulse-code modulation (LPCM) is a specific type of PCM where the quantization levels are linearly uniform.[5] This is in contrast to PCM encodings where quantization levels vary as a function of amplitude (as with the A-law algorithm or the μ-law algorithm). Though PCM is a more general term, it is often used to describe data encoded as LPCM.

Last edited:

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I'm almost certain it is doable [in the absence of video] and furthermore, LPCM incurs no further licensing fees [as does MLP DVD~A 5.1]. Quite a few discs in my collection utilize LPCM to great effect!

I have the Lord of the Rings Trilogy boxsets on MLP DVD~A 5.1 and one DVD~A disc holds over 2 hours of MLP DVD~A 5.1 24/48 audio. By contrast, ANatO runs 43 minutes!

Linear pulse-code modulation (LPCM) is a specific type of PCM where the quantization levels are linearly uniform.[5] This is in contrast to PCM encodings where quantization levels vary as a function of amplitude (as with the A-law algorithm or the μ-law algorithm). Though PCM is a more general term, it is often used to describe data encoded as LPCM.

MLP is lossless compression. LPCM isn't compressed at all. That;'s the only difference that matters in terms of space-on-disc.

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
GSTQ was definitely reported to be an upmix when the DVD-A was released-- multis could not be found. And one of the few publicized selling points of the later DVD-V was that the GSTQ multis had been found in the interim, and were used.

I suppose a waveform comparison could settle the issue.
I took a quick look at my DVD-A rip of 'God Save the Queen' 5.1, vs my decoded rip of the later DTS version from the DVD-V, in Audacity. They are quite obviously different mixes. I'll try to post images next week.

jimfisheye

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I’d rather they did a breakdown of THE PROPHET SONG…probably my fave Queen song other than a few on their 1st LP
That one and Death on Two Legs for me.

So... there are 3 versions of this now? I think I have the 2nd remix that was altered at the request of Brian May (if I have that right). Then there was a reissue of that a while back that was boosted and limited. Like someone wanted to put out a substandard version to give collectors something to do or something. Or someone just screwed up.

Pretty lit aggressive mix. Still sounds really right. It's hyped alright but it doesn't just sound shrill or crushed from it. (But I think the 3rd boosted version does.)

Did I hear the story right that that tape loop section Freddy performed in Prophet Song was a first take? Whatever the story is there, that's just one of the more badass things I've heard anyone do!

Owen Smith

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Prophet's Song has dozens of overdubs in the tape loop vocal section (as does the entire album basically), only one of which can be the first take.

jimfisheye

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Prophet's Song has dozens of overdubs in the tape loop vocal section (as does the entire album basically), only one of which can be the first take.
Yeah, but mostly towards the end. You wouldn't be able to just punch in and fix a mistake in there either! He's harmonizing along with every previous line and there are no breaks or artifacts. He nailed that initial track and there isn't any other way that could be done. Then added to that near the end to build up more harmonies and double a few things. That initial take is full on badassery! Nailing the arrangement of those intervals as the whole thing evolves. If he planned that out ahead of time it's still beyond what most people could pull off. If he improvised it... I don't even know what to say. I'm aware he did these kind of jams at live shows and he ended up with chops for this kind of stuff. Live looping before anyone know what that was!

temporaryhuman

Based on all the comments, I just found a copy on Ebay and purchased it. Since I have joined this forum, based on recommendations, I have been purchasing new music. Its great to be in a group that loves all surround sound!
Hola, mi amigo. Buenos dias. The Game DVD Audio is great too. I would not pay too much however, as nobody but the seller benefits.

sbrom

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Based on all the comments, I just found a copy on Ebay and purchased it. Since I have joined this forum, based on recommendations, I have been purchasing new music. Its great to be in a group that loves all surround sound!
Ain’t it great? I joined 5 years ago, similar experience. My wallet has never forgiven me :)

Beefalo

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
You should hear Cornholio sing "Lesbian Seagull"
Ain’t it great? I joined 5 years ago, similar experience. My wallet has never forgiven me :)
"When you hear about all the great titles out there you will not be able to abstain.
Prices go up and titles out of print so the later you join QQ the more the wallet drain"