HiRez Poll Queen - NIGHT AT THE OPERA [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Queen - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

• Total voters
Yes. I read that article when you linked it before. Great read.

But I have to say I don’t read “soured” in his account. They had some differences, Scheiner says he stood up for himself and May appreciated it. Collaborative efforts between dedicated artists and craftsmen rarely go without any conflict. This one sounds like it went pretty well to me

Same here. And here is the way to tell the Scheiner mix from the Scheiner-May mix:

"Brian also had me move certain things. In 'Bohemian,' when it cuts to the opera section, I originally put the piano in the rear for those quarter notes: da da da da, da da da da. Everything went to black except there. But Brian said, 'Can we bring it out to the front a little?' So I did - and it just doesn't have the same impact for me. I thought my version was good because it drew your attention, it did something different, it wasn't ordinary. But that's my opinion. Brian's the artist. His name's on that record, not mine."

GSTQ was definitely reported to be an upmix when the DVD-A was released-- multis could not be found. And one of the few publicized selling points of the later DVD-V was that the GSTQ multis had been found in the interim, and were used.

I suppose a waveform comparison could settle the issue.

So, taking a super-deep listen to GStQ on both the 2002 DVD-A and the 2008 DVD-V, I think I perceive certain elements of the DVD-V mix to be more discrete, like in the corners. On the DVD-A, these elements seem to be more in the "phantom sides" of the room.
And this could be power of suggestion. It's really not something I'd likely discover without intentionally listening for it.
Now, the DVD-A sounds a shit-ton better, and the added discreteness of the DVD-V isn't so much of a thrill that I feel it's worth writin' home about, as they say.
So, my opinion is the 2002 DVD-A can't be beat.

GSTQ was definitely reported to be an upmix when the DVD-A was released-- multis could not be found. And one of the few publicized selling points of the later DVD-V was that the GSTQ multis had been found in the interim, and were used.

I suppose a waveform comparison could settle the issue.

I took a quick look at my DVD-A rip of 'God Save the Queen' 5.1, vs my decoded rip of the later DTS version from the DVD-V, in Audacity. They are quite obviously different mixes. I'll try to post images next week.

I’d rather they did a breakdown of THE PROPHET SONG…probably my fave Queen song other than a few on their 1st LP
That one and Death on Two Legs for me.

So... there are 3 versions of this now? I think I have the 2nd remix that was altered at the request of Brian May (if I have that right). Then there was a reissue of that a while back that was boosted and limited. Like someone wanted to put out a substandard version to give collectors something to do or something. Or someone just screwed up.

Pretty lit aggressive mix. Still sounds really right. It's hyped alright but it doesn't just sound shrill or crushed from it. (But I think the 3rd boosted version does.)

Did I hear the story right that that tape loop section Freddy performed in Prophet Song was a first take? Whatever the story is there, that's just one of the more badass things I've heard anyone do!

Prophet's Song has dozens of overdubs in the tape loop vocal section (as does the entire album basically), only one of which can be the first take.

Prophet's Song has dozens of overdubs in the tape loop vocal section (as does the entire album basically), only one of which can be the first take.
Yeah, but mostly towards the end. You wouldn't be able to just punch in and fix a mistake in there either! He's harmonizing along with every previous line and there are no breaks or artifacts. He nailed that initial track and there isn't any other way that could be done. Then added to that near the end to build up more harmonies and double a few things. That initial take is full on badassery! Nailing the arrangement of those intervals as the whole thing evolves. If he planned that out ahead of time it's still beyond what most people could pull off. If he improvised it... I don't even know what to say. I'm aware he did these kind of jams at live shows and he ended up with chops for this kind of stuff. Live looping before anyone know what that was!

Based on all the comments, I just found a copy on Ebay and purchased it. Since I have joined this forum, based on recommendations, I have been purchasing new music. Its great to be in a group that loves all surround sound!
Ain’t it great? I joined 5 years ago, similar experience. My wallet has never forgiven me :)

Back