HiRez Poll Queen - NIGHT AT THE OPERA [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Queen - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

• Total voters
This is exactly like me, are you me? :mad:@:

Own the LP and CD, 1st DVD-A curious about 5.1 surround ! Took the plunge never looked back.
My thoughts exactly when reading that first reply.

Oops, after skimming the thread, I realized I made basically this same comment in 2008. Damn being over 50 and having CRP (Can't Remember Poop).

I have the 2002 DVD-A. My first DVD-A bought it on a lark, since I loved the album and wanted to find out what surround music was all about after setting up my first home theater. Thank whoever insisted on requiring a Dolby Digital version for those stuck with standard DVD players, otherwise I might never have discovered surround music.

Last edited:
I've created the seemingly ideal lossless version, by ripping both discs and splicing the "true" 5.1 mix of GSTQ to the end of the DVD-A mix. Whilst this true BD mix of GSTQ is limited, it still sounds better than the up-mix version. I had to level correct it by -3dB to match the DVD-A, but it slots in perfectly.

I left Prophet's Song as-is, as I don't believe they ever found the discrete elements for the "now I know" section. To my ears it remains an up-mix on the BD. I also fixed the out-of-sync LFE channel.

Last edited:
I've created the seemingly ideal lossless version, by ripping both discs and splicing the "true" 5.1 mix of GSTQ to the end of the DVD-A mix. Whilst this true BD mix of GSTQ is limited, it still sounds better than the up-mix version. I had to level correct it by -3dB to match the DVD-A, but it slots in perfectly.

I left Prophet's Song as-is, as I don't believe they ever found the discrete elements for the "now I know" section. To my ears it remains an up-mix on the BD. I also fixed the out-of-sync LFE channel.
Yep, I did the same awhile back.

Picked up the DTS Entertainment version back in 2002, got ready for Prophet Song.... disappointed. expected the la la's to bounce round the room. Got the 30th anniversary edition which remains unplayed

Picked up the DTS Entertainment version back in 2002, got ready for Prophet Song.... disappointed. expected the la la's to bounce round the room. Got the 30th anniversary edition which remains unplayed
They unfortunately couldn't find the multitrack reel with all those "now I know" vocals when the 5.1 remix was made, so that section had to be upmixed from the stereo master.
The three sections of Brian May's eight-minute epic 'The Prophet's Song' were spread across two multitracks but, sadly, did not include all of the original song from the album, although the third section did segue into 'Love Of My Life' as on the original. However, the only sign of the a cappella vocal section in the middle of the song was a tantalising 16-part track sheet which fell out of one of the tape boxes. A search has since failed to locate this tape and so this section had to be processed into 5.1 surround from the stereo master (something that had already been decided for the 'God Save The Queen' guitar instrumental which closes the album, the multitrack of which was known to be missing before the transfer session started).

...and for the 30th annivesary edition, the multis for God Save the Queen were found and used to make a remix....but the Prophet Song reel remained missing.
But unfortunately both the 30th anniversary edition and the HFPA blu ray brick walled the 5.1 remix (unlike the DVD-A) so we only have brick walled God Save the Queen as a full 5.1 remix.

Blu ray Audio 5.1 knocked my socks off. I love this album and I listented to it at least 1000 times--but I don't think I ever really heard it until now. Amazing experience. A perfect moment. A total eargasm. I paid the price, but it sure was nice! :LB
If the blu ray 5.1 knocked your socks off, you were impressed by the loudness wars version. Try to find the DVD-Audio, it's even better.

He liked the mix would be my guess.
The mix on the DVD-A is exactly the same except for God Save The Queen (they couldn't find the multi tracks for that so did an upmix for the DVD-A). But the DVD-A has good dynamic range whereas the blu ray is afflicted with loudness wars clipping and dynamic range compression.

Count me amongst those who like the blu-ray just fine.
More compressed than the DVD-As. Less than the 30th Anniversary DVD-V. And some people like this more compressed version, too.

No accounting for taste!
The blu ray sounds awful to me, it is so dynamic range compressed. There is absolutely no accounting for taste!

I should add the blu ray stereo track is entirely the opposite. It is a flat 24/96 transfer of the original stereo master tape, with no dynamic range compression at all. It is by far the clearest I have ever heard the stereo, so clear I can hear tape saturation in a few places.

The blu ray sounds awful to me, it is so dynamic range compressed. There is absolutely no accounting for taste!

I should add the blu ray stereo track is entirely the opposite. It is a flat 24/96 transfer of the original stereo master tape, with no dynamic range compression at all. It is by far the clearest I have ever heard the stereo, so clear I can hear tape saturation in a few places.
I have all three versions and the Blu-ray never sounded "awful".

If the blu ray 5.1 knocked your socks off, you were impressed by the loudness wars version. Try to find the DVD-Audio, it's even better.
Thanks for the reply Owen. It would be fun to compair the two. Still, I paid more than I normally would for a surround disc and will play this blu-ray often for continued enjoyment. I like the tonal balance, dynamic range, EQ, sound quality, directional sound effects and immersive presence.

I don't have it in front of me right now but I remember a quick A/B of the loud version showed 6db give or take of limiting and boost but no 'volume war' style harsh treble eq or distortion added. Maybe there are two loud ones and I only heard the boosted one and the other is also distorted?

I think it's a bit of a novelty release with the original release being more accurate with crest factor delivery. Perhaps a way to create future demand for a "restored" version? I always wonder if someone is doing that when a substandard release follows a more accurate one.

The accusation of straight clipping is a pretty strong accusation though! The limited one I heard had no sign of anything like that. That kind of accusation demands direct evidence. ie. Show the waveforms zoomed in to the sample level to clearly show the clipping in question. ie. Pictures or it didn't happen.

I think the production is a little lit and hyped I suppose. But it's also bad ass and I'm not sure what to compare it to to try to point out any failing.

If there is a straight up distorted version, show the picture of the waves. Zoomed in to actually show the clipping! (Yes, zoomed out brick wall limiting looks brutal. Show the actual clipping. It's an acusation that demands evidence.) Name and shame with the catalog number and label.

I don't have it in front of me right now but I remember a quick A/B of the loud version showed 6db give or take of limiting and boost but no 'volume war' style harsh treble eq or distortion added. Maybe there are two loud ones and I only heard the boosted one and the other is also distorted?

I think it's a bit of a novelty release with the original release being more accurate with crest factor delivery. Perhaps a way to create future demand for a "restored" version? I always wonder if someone is doing that when a substandard release follows a more accurate one.

The accusation of straight clipping is a pretty strong accusation though! The limited one I heard had no sign of anything like that. That kind of accusation demands direct evidence. ie. Show the waveforms zoomed in to the sample level to clearly show the clipping in question. ie. Pictures or it didn't happen.

I think the production is a little lit and hyped I suppose. But it's also bad ass and I'm not sure what to compare it to to try to point out any failing.

If there is a straight up distorted version, show the picture of the waves. Zoomed in to actually show the clipping! (Yes, zoomed out brick wall limiting looks brutal. Show the actual clipping. It's an acusation that demands evidence.) Name and shame with the catalog number and label.
Facinating. I would like to see that. :unsure:

Back