HiRez Poll Queen - THE GAME [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Queen - THE GAME

• Total voters
I gave this another spin today and noticed that I can't pass 48khz on the dvd audio option, I tried a few settings on my Oppo and receiver but no luck reaching 96khz. I do reach 96 choosing the dts option however. Anyone else having this? Not that I lose any sleep over it, just curious.

Weird! The only thing I can think of is some older OPPOs won't pass >48k across HDMI - only analog. Probably not your issue though, since you're getting 96k on DTS.

Love this one as well. I actually think it's a better surround experience than A Night At The Opera. "Another One Bites The Dust" in surround is everything you want it to be, but the track that really blew me away is the opener, "Play The Game". Some great panning on the sound effects and I love how Brian May's guitar is isolated in the rears.

One interesting thing I noticed about this disc is the variable use of the center channel. "Play The Game" has isolated lead vocal hard in the center (in Steven Wilson style) and reflections off the other channels. The rest of the songs use the center in a much more limited fashion, and several don't use it at all! "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and "Save Me" are 4.1 mixes :)

"Play The Game":
Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 4.46.23 PM.png

"Crazy Little Thing Called Love":
Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 4.46.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Sorry for the threadcrap but....
I was never a big fan of this disc...
The only Queen album I don't have any plans of getting on DVD-A..
Glad you guys like it.. I have enough with the DVD Collection...

This is the only Queen I have in dirgital and I never regretted it. I still get shocked with the differing elements from the stereo LP I grew up with, but MAN the effects are effing stunning. Another One Bites The Dust is wild, but my fave has to be Dragon Atttack. I always pull it out for one or two songs to get me going and end up playing the whole damn thing, some songs twice!

Sorry for the threadcrap but....
I was never a big fan of this disc...
The only Queen album I don't have any plans of getting on DVD-A..
Glad you guys like it.. I have enough with the DVD Collection...

well that is an unfortunate threadkap, crap! i mean threadcrap, kap! :p
i wouldn't go onto a Poll for Thrak and Thrakcrap it, kap! ;)

this to me is a QQ "10" anyday of the week! its swirly and oomphy and panny and jangly and wooshy and oohey and aahey! if all the albums i love were mixed in surround of this quality, i wouldn't need pills! erm, polls. they'd all be tenz in mercedes-benz! :smokin

yours, kwadraphoneycally,
kraptain kaptastik and the threadblue fredkrap! :ROFLMAO:

well that is an unfortunate threadkap, crap! i mean threadcrap, kap! :p
i wouldn't go onto a Poll for Thrak and Thrakcrap it, kap! ;)

this to me is a QQ "10" anyday of the week! its swirly and oomphy and panny and jangly and wooshy and oohey and aahey! if all the albums i love were mixed in surround of this quality, i wouldn't need pills! erm, polls. they'd all be tenz in mercedes-benz! :smokin

yours, kwadraphoneycally,
kraptain kaptastik and the threadblue fredkrap! :ROFLMAO:

You KNOW I love you too Ad.. I mean, Fred!!
I know it's weird cause I love Queen but there's something about this LP that I can't put my finger on.. maybe it was all the bad vibes that were floating while they were making this album, or maybe that this LP came out at the same time my only uncle was killed in a horrific car accident...I even have the original silver foil cover...

Oh well..

You KNOW I love you too Ad.. I mean, Fred!!
I know it's weird cause I love Queen but there's something about this LP that I can't put my finger on.. maybe it was all the bad vibes that were floating while they were making this album, or maybe that this LP came out at the same time my only uncle was killed in a horrific car accident...I even have the original silver foil cover...

Oh well..

kap ,kap please... ya don't even like Crazy Little Thing Called Love? o_O - Well, we still love ya anyway kap'n! :love:

It must be good, as my discerning brother has kept my copy I lent him before xmas, to blast his 7.2.4 system. Every time I ask for it back, he throws back an excuse to hang on to this 'reference' quality, surround music. How can I disagree..(y)

I think he is using this, to get his new band to practice with it, he's a drummer. Well the music anyway...nobody comes anywhere close, to the amazing voice of Freddie Mercury.
:SB:love::love::love::SB

It must be good, as my discerning brother has kept my copy I lent him before xmas, to blast his 7.2.4 system. Every time I ask for it back, he throws back an excuse to hang on to this 'reference' quality, surround music. How can I disagree..(y)

I think he is using this, to get his new band to practice with it, he's a drummer. Well the music anyway...nobody comes anywhere close, to the amazing voice of Freddie Mercury.
:SB:love::love::love::SB

Well, Mike, as they say in QQforumLand:

You ain't getting that one back:(

Last edited:
Someone gave this a “4”? Lol. It’s like calling the head cheerleader in your HS “ugly” because she wouldn’t give you the time of day.

This is a great mix. This is the only surround mix this guy did? C’mon! Let’s get more Queen.

Queen albums are always controversial so I won’t get into whether this is better or worse than any of their others except to say I love nearly every song on this one and this was one of my favorite albums back in 1980. (And it’s not my favorite Queen album by quite a bit but Queen’s last great album).

This surround mix is great. Vocals all around you on nearly every song. The synths swirling around on “Play The Game”. The guitar spinning around the speakers at the end of “Another One Bites The Dust”. The low end thumping throughout like a great 80s album should. This is big and fat and open and full.

I expected ANATO to be a surround-fest. But this album was their stripped-down Mack-produced album. It wasn’t supposed to blow me away quite like it does.

C’mon Brian and Roger. Give us the three albums in-between these two! And the first three as well! Hell, do all the ones after this one too!

(Do I need to say I gave it a “10”?)

Yet another disc I've had for years and just now getting around to rating.

The Game is probably Queen's most commercial, hit-oriented disc up to that point in their career, but I've always liked it -- some really great hooks on several cuts and spare, intense rock arrangements. The surround and audio on the DVD-A are spectacular. An easy 9 for me.

So, question for those who have heard both: how are the mixes of “Play The Game”, “Another One Bites The Dust”, “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”, and “Save Me” on here compared to the ones on the Greatest Video Hits DVD?

In other words, is it worth paying the $50 or so for The Game if I’m happy with the mixes on Greatest Video Hits? Would this be any kind of noticeable upgrade? (I really think the only other song on the album that I’m curious to hear the 5.1 of is “Dragon Attack”.)

Back