HiRez Poll Queensryche - EMPIRE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Queensryche - EMPIRE

• Total voters
the more I listen to this 5.1 the more impressed I am, and I've been listening to this album for the last 30 years since it came out.

blabbermouth.net said:
In a June 2019 interview, former vocalist Geoff Tate announced his intentions to perform the entire album live in 2020 to celebrate the 30th anniversary. He also said that there will be a new 30th anniversary edition box set.

Last edited:
I voted 8, love the disc, but surround is weak, still better than stereo, turning up loud of course makes it better.

actually it's the mixing (James Barton) /authoring (Bob Ludwig) of this disc IMO that indeed makes it sound better the louder it's played.

Instead of the usual brickwall which of course you can hear better because it's louder this disc has each speaker/instrument mixed in a way that the louder it is the more it separates and becomes discrete. It's almost like each instrument/ vocal has it's own separate volume control even though it's played at one total volume. It's very unusual IMO and I like that.

cranked up I've never heard certain words/sounds/effects or instruments like I do with this disc.

Last edited:
Here's a list of James Barton's credits (and he's not even listed in the Surround Engineer polls, wha??)

https://jamesjimbobarton.com/#artists
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/james-barton-mn0003131936

an egregious oversight! šŸ§ šŸ˜‰

more seriously, he wouldn't be on the list unless i was made aware of it/him doing surround mixes and tbh i have been remiss in updating the lists but Garry (HomerJAU ) has kindly been taking up the slack and done the most recent additions.

its great that you've highlighted this because the bottom line is the lists rely upon QQ member submissions, the more people chip in with information the better the lists will be.

otherwise its just little old me checking every release for a credit and while i own this DVD-A i haven't played it in many years and i honestly don't recall a thing about it in 5.1, least of all who did the mix but i shall rectify that this week and pull it off the shelf for a long overdue refresher!

just having a wee snoop around in his own website's credits, this is seemingly his only specifically mentioned 5.1 remix to date, do you know of any others?

23D2BEF3-E463-4E37-94E5-D5FB0B889DE3.jpeg

Finally found a copy of this for a reasonable price.
Yes - I was the target demographic when this came out & I played the hell out of it.
For some reason, my Oppo auto-played this in what was apparently the ā€œAdvanced Resolution 5.1ā€ or whatever they call it. Nothing going on in the rear speakers.
Very disappointed šŸ˜ 
Then read the comments here and realized that there is a DTS mix to be found somewhere on this disc.
Lo and behold - the rear speakers sprang to life and the mix sounded pretty much as I had hoped it would - in fact everything sounded better. Huge difference to my ears.
Nine šŸ¤©

Back