Question about "Matrix"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desmo888

Hello All,

First Post here, great site and community. I have spent the past several days reading every post in the forums. Love the site!

I have a surround sound pre-amp that decodes several formats. Of these formats, one is titled "Matrix".

Is this (or should I expect this to be) the same Matrix format from the 70's Quadraphonic formats?

Generally, "Matrix" would mean a non-logic matrix decoder, which would provide generic decoding for QS/RM and not that great decoding for SQ, but yes, it probably references the '70s quad.

However, 80's and 90's pre-amps did exisit with Matrix settings that just synthisized a surround signal from stereo sources, so you would have to let us know the make and model to make a better call.

Hi Jon,

I am not new to surround, but am rediscovering it. I used to have an NEC processor that did "Matrix" and it was clearly more of an enhancement of stereo (most likely a digital delay/reverb enhancement with some sound trafficking to rear channels).

I am currently using a Boston AVP7 (Newcastle P-965 clone). It decodes just about everything that was available up-to the end of 2004. I don't believe that it will decode THX-EX, but I am not as big of a fan of that format anyway.

Anyway... below is a link to the Newcastle Specs.

http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_p965.html

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited:
THX or Dolby-EX is primly based around the Dolby CP-45 which is affordable Dolby Stereo A and SR type surround decoder that was modified for use in the cinema via extracting the monaural centre phantom signal that is placed within the split-surrounds mix.

Dolby_CP45front.sm.01.jpg

SA10.jpg

It’s no real secret the cat as been out of the bag for years now on this matter.

The Dolby Digital Surround-EX decoder was called the SA-10 which is the real McCoy but when you look inside of her there not much to see, except the circuitry layout might have had some slight modifications it’s still the same unit in fact it’s really a Dolby matrix decoding affair to simply eliminate the common disorientation that the listeners in the cinema have experienced for many decades.

dol_sa10_innen.jpg

Dolby CP-200

Thank you for the information. Do you have any recommendations for "a good read" of Dolby and/or Other Format information?

Also, Is the 70's Matrix a true encoding process or is it just 4 channel stereo with each channel recorded independently?

Merry Christmas!

Back