Question about some SQ recordings, CBS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
I recently purchased a bunch of quad LPs on line. A gentleman had several, so I bought the lot....cheap. When I received them in the mail, all the Columbia and Epic releases including the "Chase" one pictured here, look different than others I've had in the past.

Although the album cover has the gold border which was typical of quad releases by CBS, there are SQ stickers on the front and back. (see photos.) Also, although the label shows quadraphonic, it's not the usual CBS gold with red lettering, but blue. It also says Stereo, but with the quad catalog number on the label.

Any idea why? IMG_20200130_123007.jpgIMG_20200130_123016.jpgIMG_20200130_123012.jpgIMG_20200130_123029.jpgIMG_20200130_122928.jpg

Very cool. They are probably quite rare, so you found a nice haul. 20 years ago it would have been a windfall!

They are either UK or Netherland versions.
Yes, I asked the same question a while ago and discovered that they couldn't use the brand name "Columbia" in the UK as that had been the name of a record company here since the earliest days of the gramophone. Imported records had to have that name covered up by the CBS sticker. I've got lots like that - but strangely they often didn't bother to relabel the discs themselves (guess they thought they could get away with the offending name if it was inside a sealed sleeve and not visible in the shops!)

The LP-label stickers were prone to unglue easily, much more that the ones in the covers, got a Percy Faith BMW with stickers outside and... lp stickers on the bottom of the inner.
Blue letters are Holland pressings, unless the words are in spanish (and guess where it was made...)

I recently purchased a bunch of quad LPs on line. A gentleman had several, so I bought the lot....cheap. When I received them in the mail, all the Columbia and Epic releases including the "Chase" one pictured here, look different than others I've had in the past.

Although the album cover has the gold border which was typical of quad releases by CBS, there are SQ stickers on the front and back. (see photos.) Also, although the label shows quadraphonic, it's not the usual CBS gold with red lettering, but blue. It also says Stereo, but with the quad catalog number on the label.

Any idea why?View attachment 45695View attachment 45696View attachment 45697View attachment 45698View attachment 45699
I have more on this subject.

In the days just before World War II, many countries were nationalizing the companies within them. Among them were the UK, France, Japan, and Germany.

US Companies were required to divest their holdings in these countries. They also lost their trademarks in those countries to their divested former holdings. Thus, the US companies and companies in these nations with names the same as US companies had to create new trademarks to be able to sell products in other countries.

RCA Victor (US) created the Camden label.
Columbia (US) created the Okeh and CBS labels.
Decca (US) created the Dot label.

Victor (UK) created the His Master's Voice label.
English Decca created the London label.
English Columbia reused Parlophone.

Netherlands Decca created the Philips label.

French Decca became Polydor

German Victor used only its Deutche Grammofon label, dropping Victor.

Japan Columbia became Denon.
Nippon Victor became Nivico, and later, JVC.

These trademark problems continued long after the nationalizing ended. They still exist today.

Last edited:
Back