Question for Townshend/Who Fanatics

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B&W Driver

I was responding to a PM today, and the subject of "live variations" came up. To clarify, the discussion turned toward live music that's been "changed-up"for a live performance. As I was considering live versions of songs that sounded different than the studio versions, I remembered a live version of "Who Are You" that I heard back in the early-2000s. As I recall, this live performance was done with a "reggae vibe" in which the flow of the original lyrics was totally changed. The fact that I heard it via an FM broadcast coming out of NOLA leads me to believe that it came from a bona fide, for sale "recording"...but I haven't heard it since.

I just went through the "Gigography" tab on Pete Townshend dot net with high hopes that I'd find something there, but no luck. Yes, there were variations, including what some call the "Gateway Remix" or the "Rap Mix," but they're not the one I heard. I was especially excited that PT had set lists and a limited number of performances from his Psychoderelict Tour, that began in the Summer of '93, but, once again, no luck.

If any of the Townshend/Who fanatics on the forum boards know of any unusual variations/mixes of this great "theme" song, I'd appreciate the pointer.

EDIT: I just listened to The Who - Who Are You Sessions on YouTube. There are two variations of "Who Are You" at the beginning of the YT video/audio, but, alas, neither is the version I've been wondering about on and off for all these years.

I was responding to a PM today, and the subject of "live variations" came up. To clarify, the discussion turned toward live music that's been "changed-up"for a live performance. As I was considering live versions of songs that sounded different than the studio versions, I remembered a live version of "Who Are You" that I heard back in the early-2000s. As I recall, this live performance was done with a "reggae vibe" in which the flow of the original lyrics was totally changed. The fact that I heard it via an FM broadcast coming out of NOLA leads me to believe that it came from a bona fide, for sale "recording"...but I haven't heard it since.

I just went through the "Gigography" tab on Pete Townshend dot net with high hopes that I'd find something there, but no luck. Yes, there were variations, including what some call the "Gateway Remix" or the "Rap Mix," but they're not the one I heard. I was especially excited that PT had set lists and a limited number of performances from his Psychoderelict Tour, that began in the Summer of '93, but, once again, no luck.

If any of the Townshend/Who fanatics on the forum boards know of any unusual variations/mixes of this great "theme" song, I'd appreciate the pointer.

EDIT: I just listened to The Who - Who Are You Sessions on YouTube. There are two variations of "Who Are You" at the beginning of the YT video/audio, but, alas, neither is the version I've been wondering about on and off for all these years.
There is a member called @lukpac who is quite the expert on all things The Who. Haven't seen him around here much but more often you can find him at the stevehoffman forums. If anyone would know, I think it would be him.

There is a member called @lukpac who is quite the expert on all things The Who. Haven't seen him around here much but more often you can find him at the stevehoffman forums. If anyone would know, I think it would be him.

According to his QQ forum profile, lukpac was last seen on the forum this morning. Probably best to PM him with your question in case he misses this thread!

Hey, if UB40 can do it, why can't The Who? šŸ˜ Seriously, though, it was probably 20 years ago, so I'm going way back into the cobwebs to recall the details. I do believe that it was Pete and one of his solo bands, though...and there are various versions of this great standard done by PT on his own.

Back