Questions about Atmos on Amazon Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texquad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I have a Denon Atmos enabled receiver with Heos which allows me to stream from Amazon Music. There's quite a few Atmos tracks on listed like lots of Allman Brothers. When listening to an Atmos track it doesn't sound discrete or does it allow you to even choose Atmos on the sound settings. I do have a Samsung phone with an Atmos setting and I can play my phone using BT and it doesn't sound as good as the Heos setting in the receiver. The Atmos tracks sound good but obviously as good as my BR discs. I'm I wasting my time with this? Me thinks.

I have a Denon Atmos enabled receiver with Heos which allows me to stream from Amazon Music. There's quite a few Atmos tracks on listed like lots of Allman Brothers. When listening to an Atmos track it doesn't sound discrete or does it allow you to even choose Atmos on the sound settings. I do have a Samsung phone with an Atmos setting and I can play my phone using BT and it doesn't sound as good as the Heos setting in the receiver. The Atmos tracks sound good but obviously as good as my BR discs. I'm I wasting my time with this? Me thinks.
Amazon music isn’t that good to begin with

Amazon Music does not support discrete channel Atmos. The only way you can get Amazon's version of "Atmos" is by using their "Echo Studio" speaker and through headphones on a phone. Notice speaker is not plural. Amazon is trying to sell Atmos one 1 speaker. I am surprised Dolby is allowing Atmos to be butchered like this, but I guess enough marketing and people will think they are getting something better than "stereo".

https://www.dolby.com/experience/amazon-music/#gref

Amazon like Apple is smart in that they have proprietary software that in some cases only works with their products.
As for the sound quality on Amazon Music it's hit or miss. Some tracks sound great while others sound like crap. Defiantly better overall than Spotify.

So which ATMOS is best APPLE/Amazon or TIDAL?

what y’all think? Why?
Question: How do you play the Amazon content in Atmos - or in 5.1? I'm playing the Apple Spatial stuff through my Apple TV 4k, but can't seem to get a clean multichannel feed into my home theater with my Amazon stuff - even with an HDMI cable out of my MacBook. Do I need a Roku?? Apologies for being somewhat clueless here!

Question: How do you play the Amazon content in Atmos - or in 5.1? I'm playing the Apple Spatial stuff through my Apple TV 4k, but can't seem to get a clean multichannel feed into my home theater with my Amazon stuff - even with an HDMI cable out of my MacBook. Do I need a Roku?? Apologies for being somewhat clueless here!
Amazon has limited its Atmos content playback to mobile devices, an Echo device, and certain Sonos speakers.

Amazon Music kind of sucks, for their Atmos limitations
It's disgraceful, with their resources, that the Music Apps, only play
on Sonos; (which I have)
My Apple TV 4K Amazon Music app is useless, for 5.1, or Atmos
Ditto to my Sony XR-77A80J
:(

Amazon has limited its Atmos content playback to mobile devices, an Echo device, and certain Sonos speakers.
The echo doesn’t work, the amazon studio is the only amazon product which works with atmos, since it’s a single speaker i’m not buying it, don’t see how a single speaker can play atmos when an atmos soundbar is crap with many more speakers

You won't be able to play Atmos via Amazon music to your home theater. Amazon only feeds the Echo speaker or via headphones.

Atmos/Dolby Audio discrete is only via Apple Music or Tidal.

I can play Amazon Music Atmos to my Soundbar via Bluetooth from my Android phone, but not via my PC HDMI to the Soundbar. Is there any other streaming service that can play Atmos via PC HDMI?

Things have progressed on this topic. Amazon have now opened up Spatial Audio capabilities for all Fire TV devices.
An Amazon Firestick in your AVR, and an Amazon Music HD subscription results in Dolby Atmos music playback. It's actually working very well for me, and for a very nominal outlay.

I can play Amazon Music Atmos to my Soundbar via Bluetooth from my Android phone, but not via my PC HDMI to the Soundbar. Is there any other streaming service that can play Atmos via PC HDMI?
AFAIK there is not a way to use a computer in the chain of equipment when using (edit to add Amazon), Tidal or AM. Must stream Tidal via:
  • Apple TV 4K (running tvOS 13 or later)
  • Fire TV (Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Gen 3 2017, Fire TV Cube 1st Gen or 2nd Gen)
  • Nvidia Shield TV and Shield TV Pro (2019 and newer models)

Back