Questions about network playback

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihg90

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum (I've read through many of the posts in this thread and this seems to be correct)... I just have what I hope is a simple newbie question. I have a computer downstairs in my office (wired ethernet to a google mesh unit) with multi-channel flac files (as well as iTunes and other music) and I've been playing these flac files through my Sony X800M2 by copying them to a USB, inserted into the Sony. The Sony is upstairs with my Yamaha AVR setup - on the same home network as my computer, but not wired to each other directly.

I'm wondering what I need to simply play the MCH flac files that are on my downstairs computer (which has an HDMI output port, currently unused) through my upstairs home theater (Sony, Yamaha AVR) - additional hardware (like a NAS?) - software (like Kodi?) - my Sony can access my network.

as an edit, I moved some MCH flac files to my Music folder and the Sony recognized and played them - seemed to play multi-channel - just wireless through the home network - is that possible, and that easy?

Sorry again, but would appreciate any help.
Thanks!
Ian

Last edited:
as an edit, I moved some MCH flac files to my Music folder and the Sony recognized and played them - seemed to play multi-channel - just wireless through the home network - is that possible, and that easy?

Sorry again, but would appreciate any help.
Thanks!
Ian
Yes. As your PC is on your network and your music folder on it is Shareable, then that is all that is needed.

The reason we all mention NAS Drives is so that the files are all backed up (NAS set-up usually as RAID 1 - so 2 mirrored drives), plus NAS are often fitted with drives designed for heavy use, so more reliable in the long term.

The only other thing is the order the tracks are played in, my Oppo plays in title alphabetical order not track order, so I always append the track no to the front of the title, so if I use the Oppo it then plays albums in the correct track sequence.

Yes. As your PC is on your network and your music folder on it is Shareable, then that is all that is needed.

The reason we all mention NAS Drives is so that the files are all backed up (NAS set-up usually as RAID 1 - so 2 mirrored drives), plus NAS are often fitted with drives designed for heavy use, so more reliable in the long term.

The only other thing is the order the tracks are played in, my Oppo plays in title alphabetical order not track order, so I always append the track no to the front of the title, so if I use the Oppo it then plays albums in the correct track sequence.

Thanks so much - that's helpful, and reassuring.... I'll need to add or replace my second internal hard drive on which my music is stored (should have had more foresight :) ) - I see options for internal NAS as well, so can consider that, although I guess that if it's an internal drive, it won't matter so much ...

And thanks for the numbering tip - I expect my Sony will do the same as your Oppo -

I really do appreciate your response - thanks!

All good stuff, but realize that RAID is not a back-up strategy, it is a fail over strategy. I'd still put precious music (or anything else) on extra hdds and get them out of the house.
Good point. I have 3 NAS boxes and still back up on External HDDs.

Good point. I have 3 NAS boxes and still back up on External HDDs.

That's good advice for sure!

As I'm continuing to test my system, I see my Sony basically sees the files in my Music folder on my Windows 10 computer - but it won't browse to, say, an external hard drive on my computer that I'm using to back up that folder - I know I'm still learning how this works, but would Kodi or MMH give more browsing/selecting flexibility keeping my system as is?

Thanks!
Ian

That's good advice for sure!

As I'm continuing to test my system, I see my Sony basically sees the files in my Music folder on my Windows 10 computer - but it won't browse to, say, an external hard drive on my computer that I'm using to back up that folder - I know I'm still learning how this works, but would Kodi or MMH give more browsing/selecting flexibility keeping my system as is?

Thanks!
Ian
Have you tried making the folder on the External HDD plugged into your PC shareable?

For Kodi you would need to plug your PC into your AVR, I have an Odroid N2 ODROID-N2+ 4GB CoreELEC Edition which I run Kodi on.

The MMH is a tool for assisting in extracting and manipulating the audio files.

You can easily share an externally attached USB drive on Windows to play MCH elsewhere; I do the lazy way using a 4k Firestick and VNC for a no-frills MCH experience on any TV in my house (Sticks are cheap...)
I wouldn't play something like the 40 GB Devin Townsend Project, Ocean Machine - Live At The Ancient Roman Theater Plovdiv mkv file from a USB stick on a PC share, but no problem with music.

Have you tried making the folder on the External HDD plugged into your PC shareable?

For Kodi you would need to plug your PC into your AVR, I have an Odroid N2 ODROID-N2+ 4GB CoreELEC Edition which I run Kodi on.

The MMH is a tool for assisting in extracting and manipulating the audio files.

Thank you for explaining Kodi & MMH - that's helpful!

The external drive was not shareable so I changed that - but still not seeing it - just my single Music folder (internal HD) - I'll keep playing around with it - really do appreciate your helpful input!

Attachments

• IMG_5580.jpg
    IMG_5580.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5581.jpg
    IMG_5581.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 48
You can easily share an externally attached USB drive on Windows to play MCH elsewhere; I do the lazy way using a 4k Firestick and VNC for a no-frills MCH experience on any TV in my house (Sticks are cheap...)
I wouldn't play something like the 40 GB Devin Townsend Project, Ocean Machine - Live At The Ancient Roman Theater Plovdiv mkv file from a USB stick on a PC share, but no problem with music.

Thanks - yes, I can take my 2TB external drive (backup of my MCH music) and plug it into my Sony X800M2 and it plays fine - was trying to find a way to have the Sony function as a media server on the same network as my computer - it can do that just fine - but I can't get it to see anything but my Music folder on my internal HD, even though a shareable external HD is plugged into the computer....

Thank you for explaining Kodi & MMH - that's helpful!

The external drive was not shareable so I changed that - but still not seeing it - just my single Music folder (internal HD) - I'll keep playing around with it - really do appreciate your helpful input!
You often have to go right back to the very top level so you can see all the drives on your PC, you should then be able to see the shared folders. I have to do that with the Oppo if I use it after I've added files (I think the folder list gets cached on the Oppo) to the main playback NAS (I use the others to store the audio files and work related stuff).

Mods: can we shift this on how to connect drives etc to a new thread as we're diverging away from MMH operation etc.?

I realize this is slightly OT but searched other MKV-related threads and none seemed as appropriate. So here goes:

I have, really, two systems I play music files and spinning disc through...one is my main 2 channel system, which uses:
* a dedicated Roon NUC (local files) serving an HQPlayer Win10 server (upstairs) serving (optically) a Fitlet2 Intel HQplayer NAA (all connected to a Mikrotek switch that has two optical ports and seevral wired ones) that connects via USB to my Holo May DAC -> stereo preamp.

This setup handles all 2 channel files (FLAC, WAV, DSF, etc) and sounds glorious.

Then I also have a multichannel music and video setup (not set up yet in my new room cuz Timbernation rack isn't ready) that will use two processors:
* exaSound s88 streaming multichannel DAC (PCM and DSF mch files)
* Lyngdorf MP-40 preamp/processor that accepts all types of files via HDMI from Apple TV 4k, firestick 4k and a bluray player.

Both these processors are connected to a Coleman switcher (switches 6 channels from exasound or Lyngdorf to all necessary surround and center amps as well as to other inputs on stereo preamp above). The Lyngdorf also is connect to a 4 channel Dolby Atmos amp and four Prime Elevations on the ceiling.

So....my quandry is this: where do I store and play Atmos-based MKV files (as well as any other movie-related files like ripped BluRays, etc)? Roon won't play them. Hqplayer won't play them. I'd want either a dedicated movie server connected via HDMi (with JRiver, Kodi, etc) or feed them (via USB drive) to one of those streamers or the bd player (I understand the well-regarded Panny UB840 does not accept the Atmos audio layer in files presented via the USB port. Not sure what bd player does).

Any help appreciated. Thx
Ted

Mods: move this to better thread if one exists.

Back