Questions about transfer protocols, specifically DNLA & SMB per Jailbroke Oppo 103 + Now some tips added on configuring windows media streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am trying to set up a NAS, with Jriver and get a long network connection from one end of the house so the other (the internet entry and listening room are on opposite ends of a long house.) I know I won't have much trouble running wires and setting up hardware. But there is always some software switch you never heard of that prevents the whole damn project from running.
This is what I have been doing for years and it is not difficult. Over the years, I have changed cabling, NAS boxes, routers, switches and JRMC hosts. Throughout all these variables, the problems have been few and minor. Setting fixed IP addresses for the NAS and the host devices helps a lot.

boondocks said:
Any idea which NAS software you'll go with?

I bought an 8TB Buffalo which is still sitting in its box. I also bought a Seagate backup plus hub also sitting in its box. Both 8tb. I only have 0.3 tb of music but this computer is rapidly running out of room so I will relocate most of its music files to the NAS (and back up) fairly shortly.
I recently took advantage of Jriver's sale price and have it loaded and am going to try and make it all work together and with my network which is only set up for wi fi and mesh wifi.

But I have noted that surround files are very large as your 35tb attests to. That's a lotta files.

Another question for anyone that may have already done this. Has anyone switched their internet connection for their house to 5G yet. I think AT&T would like me to switch to 5G and they sent me a 5G modem because my 3G wireless home phone will become inoperative in February. They sent me the modem free because I had paid for the 3g whp device. I am sure there would be a charge for it if I just started 5G from scratch. If I go with the 5G the network physical layer setup problem will change a bit since the antenna can go anywhere. I may set it up in the attic.

Kal Rubinson said:
Over the years, I have changed cabling, NAS boxes, routers, switches and JRMC hosts.
Could you elaborate on , for example where, Jriver lives compared to your NAS. Is it just on a computer that is connected to the network? When it takes a music file from the NAS where does it send it? (to your Okto?) Does it send to the Okto via USB? A dedicated silent computer in the listening room?
Are you still running a 5.0 system? (Do I ask too many questions?? don't answer that! 🤣 )

boondocks said:

I bought an 8TB Buffalo which is still sitting in its box. I also bought a Seagate backup plus hub also sitting in its box. Both 8tb. I only have 0.3 tb of music but this computer is rapidly running out of room so I will relocate most of its music files to the NAS (and back up) fairly shortly.
I recently took advantage of Jriver's sale price and have it loaded and am going to try and make it all work together and with my network which is only set up for wi fi and mesh wifi.

But I have noted that surround files are very large as your 35tb attests to. That's a lotta files.

Another question for anyone that may have already done this. Has anyone switched their internet connection for their house to 5G yet. I think AT&T would like me to switch to 5G and they sent me a 5G modem because my 3G wireless home phone will become inoperative in February. They sent me the modem free because I had paid for the 3g whp device. I am sure there would be a charge for it if I just started 5G from scratch. If I go with the 5G the network physical layer setup problem will change a bit since the antenna can go anywhere. I may set it up in the attic.
You're lucky. We've had 5G phones for a while but it's yet to appear. As far as internet I'm on double-twisted pair phone line also known as ADSL. It's all I can get in spite of the government paying to have fiber laid up and down every pig trail out here in the sticks. The ISP took charge of it and only give real high speed broadband to people in town. :mad:
At least their backbone is good.....

Could you elaborate on , for example where, Jriver lives compared to your NAS.
The NAS is in my home office. JRiver lives on a silent server in my listening room and they communicate over my wired LAN.
Is it just on a computer that is connected to the network?
It is a Win10 PC but fanless and silent.
Does it send to the Okto via USB?
Yes and it also sends it to an exaSound s88 by USB or UPnP.
A dedicated silent computer in the listening room?
Yup.
Are you still running a 5.0 system?
5.0 mostly but also 5.3.

SMB stands for Server Message Block but on a basic level it's sharing files and folders.

Since I posted the above message I have spent many hours in que at Microsoft help on the same ticket, and at least 7 or 8 different techs. to try and fix network file sharing on my home network.
I figured, fix the network first.

In between I sought out everything I could find about SMB protocol, unfortunately most of the stuff on MS is server related, but still I learned a little from them and from some folks here as well.
For example, in Windows 10 and 11 at least, SMB 2 & 3 appears to be enabled by default. But you can also enable the earlier SMB v1 which is likely more sympatico with older Oppo's. Unfortunately it ultimately did me no good but I'm told from one person using a NAS that he uses this protocol enabled to share files with his Oppo.

So I've had some limited success with file sharing on the network but it hasn't helped the Oppo to see any files on it's network interface.
I tried something different.

Windows actually has provisions to enable NFS which is I take it is more of a Unix file system thing. Anyway I enabled it in Windows and downloaded a trial program called NFS Server.
Lo and Behold, after some back and forth with the developer in Germany, and getting my firewall setup to pass the proper ports, my Oppo was seeing folders I made available with the software! including .iso files!

So I bought the program and now am happily playing DVDA, DVD, SACD, and Blu Ray .iso files through my Oppo via the network from my pc!
Of course any other files the Oppo is capable of playing as well.

That's where it's at now, and while it sucks that I can't get the Oppo to see files/folders with simple file sharing in Windows, at least now I have a solution that works for me.
SMB stands for Server Message Block but on a basic level it's sharing files and folders.

Since I posted the above message I have spent many hours in que at Microsoft help on the same ticket, and at least 7 or 8 different techs. to try and fix network file sharing on my home network.
I figured, fix the network first.

In between I sought out everything I could find about SMB protocol, unfortunately most of the stuff on MS is server related, but still I learned a little from them and from some folks here as well.
For example, in Windows 10 and 11 at least, SMB 2 & 3 appears to be enabled by default. But you can also enable the earlier SMB v1 which is likely more sympatico with older Oppo's. Unfortunately it ultimately did me no good but I'm told from one person using a NAS that he uses this protocol enabled to share files with his Oppo.

So I've had some limited success with file sharing on the network but it hasn't helped the Oppo to see any files on it's network interface.
I tried something different.

Windows actually has provisions to enable NFS which is I take it is more of a Unix file system thing. Anyway I enabled it in Windows and downloaded a trial program called NFS Server.
Lo and Behold, after some back and forth with the developer in Germany, and getting my firewall setup to pass the proper ports, my Oppo was seeing folders I made available with the software! including .iso files!

So I bought the program and now am happily playing DVDA, DVD, SACD, and Blu Ray .iso files through my Oppo via the network from my pc!
Of course any other files the Oppo is capable of playing as well.

That's where it's at now, and while it sucks that I can't get the Oppo to see files/folders with simple file sharing in Windows, at least now I have a solution that works for me.
I’m glad to find this thread as I am having the exact problem that my Oppo is not able to discover the SMB from my Windows 11 pc. May I know which NFS Server program are you using? Possible to send me the link where I can download? Thanks!

I’m glad to find this thread as I am having the exact problem that my Oppo is not able to discover the SMB from my Windows 11 pc. May I know which NFS Server program are you using? Possible to send me the link where I can download? Thanks!
To be able to use SMB you need two things:

1 - Activate SMB1. That was necessary for Windows 10 as by default it is not activated. For Windows 11 the situation could be worse, as to need to install SMB1 from outside.
2 - Have another network node with SMB Master Browser running. You have that "automatically" if you have a NAS (with SMB), a router with SMB, some media players like DUNE, or a Virtual machine Windows 7 (previous to Windows 10) running in your Windows 11.

The best is to use SMB, but you have to deal with all that.

The alternative of using NFS exists, although it is not a thing "native" to MIcrosoft Windows.

I play everything from video to audio MCH ISO's from my Server Windows 10 to my Oppo. I will stay as much as possible with Windows 10 without going to Windows 11, as long as Microsoft allows me...

https://www.hanewin.net/
You can use it as a trial I think for 30 days and see how it works for you.
I bought the program and it worked fine for me.
I recently reinstalled Windows 11 and haven't reinstalled ithe serve program yet but will get too it soon.
Windows has some built in ability to use NFS btw; you can enable this in Programs and Features/Turn Windows Features On or Off/Services For NFS/Client For NFS

BTW I have found nothing inherently worse sound wise using Windows 11 over Windows 10. In fact I find Windows 11 better and Windows 10 a PITA. (I have one machine running Windows 11 Pro and one machine running Windows 10 Pro)

Last edited:
https://www.hanewin.net/
You can use it as a trial I think for 30 days and see how it works for you.
I bought the program and it worked fine for me.
I recently reinstalled Windows 11 and haven't reinstalled ithe serve program yet but will get too it soon.
Windows has some built in ability to use NFS btw; you can enable this in Programs and Features/Turn Windows Features On or Off/Services For NFS/Client For NFS

BTW I have found nothing inherently worse sound wise using Windows 11 over Windows 10. In fact I find Windows 11 better and Windows 10 a PITA. (I have one machine running Windows 11 Pro and one machine running Windows 10 Pro)
Thanks for the advice! Will give that a try try and see how it works out! Have a nice day!

To be able to use SMB you need two things:

1 - Activate SMB1. That was necessary for Windows 10 as by default it is not activated. For Windows 11 the situation could be worse, as to need to install SMB1 from outside.
2 - Have another network node with SMB Master Browser running. You have that "automatically" if you have a NAS (with SMB), a router with SMB, some media players like DUNE, or a Virtual machine Windows 7 (previous to Windows 10) running in your Windows 11.

The best is to use SMB, but you have to deal with all that.

The alternative of using NFS exists, although it is not a thing "native" to MIcrosoft Windows.

I play everything from video to audio MCH ISO's from my Server Windows 10 to my Oppo. I will stay as much as possible with Windows 10 without going to Windows 11, as long as Microsoft allows me...
That explains why I don’t see the SMB anymore because I used to have a NAS on my network until recently it has been retired. Initially I was thinking whether it was my recent upgrade (kind of unintentional and it happened around the same time as my NAS broke down) to win11 that causes the issue but now everything is clear! What a genius that you figured out the requirement of having another network node with master browser running! Cheers!

Yeah MS wanted to retire SMB 1 for security reasons but apparently a lot of people run it on their NAS and otherwise anyway.
I have a machine that's online 24/7....
But to be honest I seldom use the Oppo anymore. I can use VLC or PowerDVD to play pretty much anything I want to either directly or bitstreaming to my AVR in 7.1.4 Atmos.

Back