• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

quick update for Sunday

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
hi

hour 3 (should kick in about 11am) of my show The Vinyl Resting Place will feature all quad (well, except for the first song)
but after that it's a combination of my own remixes (including the full 5 minute version of All I want for Christmas) and
surround tracks from greatest hits albums - remixed with the Involve encoder (Gloria Estefan, Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Carpenters)
these tracks will also be included in my other station's 36 hours of Christmas in Surround - but more about that later
http://radiomaxmusic.com/popup.html is th4 place on Sunday!
The show repeats at 9pm (NYC time) - so the quad portion should turn up around 11pm
but feel free to listen to the full 3 hours - hours 1 & 2 feature the top 2 Christmas songs of the past
two decades - but alas, in stereo

a short aside - I'm in discussions with Involve into infusing stereo with some proprietary phasing info
to enhance the stereo sound field, and give decoders - especially the surround master - enough to
decode into a convincing surround playback - sounds crazy no? stay tuned...

Sonik Wiz

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
From the earliest days of Sansui patents to multiple posts made by me about out of phase blending to enhance stereo 2 surround decoding I can only say this: what is Involve bringing to the game that is proprietary that hasn't been done before?

It does not sound crazy I will stay tuned.

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
From the earliest days of Sansui patents to multiple posts made by me about out of phase blending to enhance stereo 2 surround decoding I can only say this: what is Involve bringing to the game that is proprietary that hasn't been done before?

It does not sound crazy I will stay tuned.
thanks for the comment - perhaps I should explain, or at least offer a bit of background. I really have no skin in this game - I've been captivated by quadraphonics since my first exposure to it in 1971 or so. I was never a fan of pop/rock music - but back in the day, buying records and tapes by performers I never heard of, simply because they were released in quad, opened up my world to music I probably never would have discovered otherwise.
I've always played any recordings though some simulated surround circuitry (from my first $19 Dynaco kit - through the Sansui X series and beyond).
I've usually found matrix LPs to sound better than their stereo counterparts; The Columbia LPs were a prime example (compare the dreary - overly compressed Chicago II stereo issue - to the SQ pressing) - CD-4 (when properly mastered) also sounded better - but more because there was more care taken in the pressing/mastering, not because the "mix" was any better.
About 15 years ago a DJ at WCBS in NY (who had been using elements from my collection for his shows) asked me to joining an Internet radio outfit hosting a show highlighting the world of vinyl. I had been writing a music review/history column called "My Vinyl Resting Place" - so I picked that as a titled for the show, and have been doing it every week since.
about 2 years back the owner of the station ask if I'd do a second show - playing complete LPs - and highlighting the differences between the LP and it's digital re-issue. I thought of the approach of playing LPs that contained something not available unless you had the LP.
putting all this together - the logical thing to do was play quadraphonic albums. Initially this limited me to QS and SQ releases. Then when it came to CD-4 I felt it was still fair to do a needle drop on these - demodulate them - then encode them for QS or SQ.
I had tinkered together a SQ encoder back in the 70s and was going down that route, then came across a java based software encoder that could do qs and sq. After going through a fairly extensive battery of testing - as long as I was fine with 16x44 (which I was) - the software encoder was flat out remarkable.
I used the Fosgate Tate II for SQ decoding - but it wasn't until I bought the Suzanne Cianni LP with it's included Surround Master decoder that I was able to do much beyond basic qs decoding.
That little circuit board really floored me. If that had been available in 1973 I doubt quad would have "died off" as it did.
So - what has all of this to do with radio? Eventually I'd run out of discrete sources - but that would take a while, the real issue was - so many recordings were only mastered in two track, or the multi-tracks were lost, or unavailable. of course, anyone with a home stereo (or home theater system) set up for surround sound could play these effectively - and, as it turns out, if you have a surroundmaster - they are much more effective than a Lafayette composer A circuit. But what if A) we could make the stereo source sound better - in stereo and B) in the process, make the decode even more effective.

This all brings me to where I am now - and it may lead to nothing - but I want to improve the stereo playback of a stereo source. AND make that stereo source decode so well into surround, that "up-mixes" are no longer considered (if in fact they actually are).

I really do overthink things, don't I.

Group builder