"Quiet" Quads (mostly LPs) - Any SQ Encoded?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Many of the so called "quiet" quadraphonic albums are QS encoded but completely unmarked as to being quad/encoded (the Tommy movie soundtrack from ~1975 is probably the most famous example).

Are there any quiet quad albums that were revealed [magazine article, for example] to be SQ encoded (but are completely unmarked)?

Kirk Bayne

Note that there seem to be two different versions of the Tommy soundtrack.

The first one came from the movie soundtrack and was QS encoded.

Then Polydor signed with CD-4, and seems to have made a version without the QS encoding.

Many of the so called "quiet" quadraphonic albums are QS encoded but completely unmarked as to being quad/encoded (the Tommy movie soundtrack from ~1975 is probably the most famous example).

Are there any quiet quad albums that were revealed [magazine article, for example] to be SQ encoded (but are completely unmarked)?

Kirk Bayne

You might want to page down to the "Stealth Quad" Thread.

Apart from that ;
There are a large number of CTI /Kudu SQ albums previously separate SQ Quad and Stereo , now all SQ .

Also Neil Diamond -Serenade is an SQ "quiet quad" or "sleath quad" , whichever term you prefer.

There is a copy of the cd Rick Wakeman Six Wives Of Henry VIII which is supposedly SQ .

Star Trek III , The Search For SPOCK (soundtrack album) is SQ. And so is the soundtrack to 2010 Space Odessey.

There were some later Angel records early 80's which were SQ , but not indicated.

I would also add David Bowie -Serious Moonlight , the cd as SQ .

Kenny Loggins - Alive , is SQ (video only available).

I guess the "brute force" method could be tried, compare the Tommy movie soundtrack (maybe the QS encoded stereo from the old LaserDisc or possibly the Quintaphonic 5.0 from the Blu-ray) to the SM decoded LP or CD of the same song.

That might solve this mystery.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
I guess the "brute force" method could be tried, compare the Tommy movie soundtrack (maybe the QS encoded stereo from the old LaserDisc or possibly the Quintaphonic 5.0 from the Blu-ray) to the SM decoded LP or CD of the same song).

Kirk Bayne
Brook Page Page 1 Book 11 Mirror Image Space x (SQ)

I guess the "brute force" method could be tried, compare the Tommy movie soundtrack (maybe the QS encoded stereo from the old LaserDisc or possibly the Quintaphonic 5.0 from the Blu-ray) to the SM decoded LP or CD of the same song).

Kirk Bayne

Perhaps , but remember that the 5th channel was mono discrete . THE CENTER ,5th CHANNEL would be mono.

Apart from that ;
There are a large number of CTI /Kudu SQ albums previously separate SQ Quad and Stereo , now all SQ .

Also Neil Diamond -Serenade is an SQ "quiet quad" or "sleath quad" , whichever term you prefer.

There is a copy of the cd Rick Wakeman Six Wives Of Henry VIII which is supposedly SQ .

Star Trek III , The Search For SPOCK (soundtrack album) is SQ. And so is the soundtrack to 2010 Space Odessey.

There were some later Angel records early 80's which were SQ , but not indicated.

I'm shocked on David Bowie. How and why would they SQ encode the CD? I mean, the release (from 1984) seems more available on VHS and DVD. I get the multichannel DVD. The CD's that are available were remastered in 2019. Kinda doesn't make sense. (But hey, I'll take a quad mix anyway I can! :) )

Also, it's too bad the original 2001 A Space Odyssey wasn't quad. Beautiful soundtrack. Plus the first release was 1968 (and there were more after that) which would have been perfect timing for quad stuff.

Apart from that ;

i think the info about Serenade may be incorrect tbh.. certainly i've yet to find a CD edition that SQ decodes properly into anything resembling the discrete Quad.

Then Polydor signed with CD-4, and seems to have made a version without the QS encoding.
I'd be interested to know which version of the tommy soundtrack album is QS. While the audio on my dvd is unquestionably 5 channels, I haven't been able to find any versions of the record that are encoded. At least on the album versions I have found, the mixes are very basic stereo. If someone wants to let me know where I can find an encoded version of the record please let me know.

Kirk Bayne

i've never knowingly heard the quiet QS release that often gets talked about, did it utilize the Quintaphonic soundtrack? or a downmix of it to 4-channel? or something else?

Perhaps , but remember that the 5th channel was mono discrete . THE CENTER ,5th CHANNEL would be mono.

True, it would probably be more useful to compare LB and RB (from the movie soundtrack [QS decoded from a QS encoded stereo soundtrack w/SM decoder or discrete 5 ch from a Blu-ray]) to LB and RB from the soundtrack LP/(CD?) w/SM decoder.

Of course, an SM decoder will almost always find something to route to LB and RB in any stereo content.

Kirk Bayne

I'm shocked on David Bowie. How and why would they SQ encode the CD? I mean, the release (from 1984) seems more available on VHS and DVD. I get the multichannel DVD. The CD's that are available were remastered in 2019. Kinda doesn't make sense. (But hey, I'll take a quad mix anyway I can! :) )

Also, it's too bad the original 2001 A Space Odyssey wasn't quad. Beautiful soundtrack. Plus the first release was 1968 (and there were more after that) which would have been perfect timing for quad stuff.
Why shocked? The recording was always SQ encoded it wasn't specially encoded for the CD release. I'm surprised that there was a CD release at all, but checking Discogs it looks like an Australia only release that was quickly withdrawn due to copyright issues with EMI.

AFAIK, Polydor only released CD-4 LP's in Japan, but also continued releasing some in QS. The determining factor was the content, and which format did it the most justice. Toshiba did this as well; in fact, many Japanese labels did.

Last edited:
AFAIK, Polydor only released CD-4 LP's in Japan, but also continued releasing some in QS. The determining factor was the content, and which format did it the most justice. Toshiba did this as well; in fact, many Japanese labels did.

That's correct jaybird and IIRC Polydor (Japan) ...started using CD-4 for a very small number of lps 2 or 3 years before 1975 - The year of Tommy's release . In fact the Japanese copy of the 75 Tommy contained an obi strip that mentioned QS Quintaphonic .
Nowadays, that Japanese version with the obi strip is an important must own collectors item , I do believe .

I used to have both the Tate SQ Beta hifi and VHS hifi copies. There were no separate Stereo tapes.

Remember that David Bowie cd was remastered , NOT REMIXED .
And all copies were single inventory SQ TATE Matrix .

I had both versions of the LP in my hands at different times.

I got the first one when it was released, but it actually belonged to the audio store where I worked. I made a reel to reel recording of it and played it repeatedly through my QS decoder.

Later I was DJ-ing a party using a Dolby Surround system and someone wanted to hear "Pinball Wizard" from the album. All of the 4-channel effects were gone. It had to be a different mix.

The two versions were visually indistinguishable. I didn't know about the master marks in the lead-out area of the record then, and I didn't have the original to compare it to.

I lost the reel version when the oxide fell off the tape. Every reel I had of that brand shed its oxide, so I lost most of what I had recorded on reels.

I do have the DVD of the movie. It has 3 choices for the soundtrack:
- Original quintaphonic
- Dolby Surround
- Dolby Digital 5.0

Since my player and receiver together can handle only Dolby Surround (and other matrix), I use that. But it sounds like I remember the first copy of the album sounding.

(Before you ask, the player has only RCA stereo, Composite, RF, and HDMI, while the receiver has 2 ch and 6ch RCA and SPDIF.)

Back