"Quiet" Quads (mostly LPs) - Any SQ Encoded?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you noticed any significant change in the amount of decoded/synthesized surround sound (older songs from the 1970s/80s compared to the current songs)?

Kirk Bayne

I wish Dolby Labs had allowed the surround channel to be encoded full bandwidth w/a switchable (~7kHz low pass filter) in the DS decoder, that might have helped encourage more music to be released in DS (since it would be basically DynaQuad).

Kirk Bayne

They did. PL-II is full bandwidth.

And the PL-II encoder had two back channels.

But without logic, the important part was keeping the surround from "ghosting" in the dialog (center) channel and the dialog channel from ghosting in the surround due to the (usually high frequency) leakage caused by slightly different channel electronics.

This ghosting often appeared in the B channel when a mono record was played through the Dynaco Diamond (L F R B) system.

The 7KHz filters mostly prevented the ghosting.

Because PL-II had no primary channels encoded to CB, the ghosting was rare.

I wish we could know for sure how accurate the DVD quint mix is as far as reproducing the theatrical mix of "Acid Queen". On the DVD it goes completely nuts at points. That works with the picture but would probably be borderline annoying as an audio-only experience.
I expect they used the original 5 channel split If they had done a modern 5 channel remix I expect it would have sounded way more refined. Ken Russell had no interest in things that were refined and/or subtle. No one like him, that's for sure.

I once heard that it was to mask the sound produced by loading/unloading VHS tapes

VHS tapes (begin 1976) were rare when Dolby Stereo was hatched. None were stereo (begin 1982).

The 7 KHz cutoff was in the original theatrical version to prevent ghosting from annoying moviegoers.

Well I am curious to know if Sony/ODE Records has issued the CD of Tommy/LSO w/guests with the QS encode intact.

I had this quad album and found the QS encode was quite good via my Sansui QSD 2 . I suppose I could purchase it the next time I come across it a give it a go.

FWIW quad cd's of (1) Rick Wakeman-6 Wives of Henry the VIII ( SQ)
..................................(2) Carole King -Tapestry. (QS)

- Are in Existence , but I believe I read only a select or certain issue of the Carole King cd is quad , not all . This may be true for the Wakeman as well .

We (me 4 sure) may now have to check out others ,in CD, such as The 2 Cat Stevens (SQ) , The Joan Baez (QS) , the 2 Quincy Jones (SQ), and the Carpenters (SQ) . These would be A&M/UMG CD'S .

I think it's worth the effort . You never know this could turn out to be like the CTI/KUDU quads.
I remember the CD of the original B'way cast album was SQ-encoded. Compared with the LP, played through the SM, there was no difference between them when played in SQ. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if any of the other single-inventory OCR albums on Columbia got the same treatment.

This is the page of the Columbia Original Cast albums that were available in SQ ....as per The CBS/Columbia 1977 Quadraphonic Catalog .

The "+" indicates single inventory SQ encoded releases . So the subsequent CD's should be SQ encoded as well.

20211023_182002.jpg

This is the page of the Columbia Original Cast albums that were available in SQ ....as per The CBS/Columbia 1977 Quadraphonic Catalog .

The "+" indicates single inventory SQ encoded releases . So the subsequent CD's should be SQ encoded as well.
View attachment 72884
"Funny Girl" was originally released as separate stereo and SQ versions. Eventually, these were replaced with a single inventory SQ version. I'm not certain if the subsequent CD was SQ or not.
"Funny

"Funny Girl" was originally released as separate stereo and SQ versions. Eventually, these were replaced with a single inventory SQ version. I'm not certain if the subsequent CD was SQ or not.
"Funny

I had read some time ago from Joe Dash at CBS , that almost every OC Album went single inventory.

And he left me with the impression that they would all be eventually.

I guess the only way to verify that disc is SQ encoded is to purchase the cd .

It's really too bad they got into a single inventory SQ program when some of their U.S. quad supporting labels made that decision much earlier. Labels such as : Stanyan , Golden Crest , Angel , Seraphim , Creative World , Doric , Sure , and CTI/KUDU.
:rolleyes:

I know there's not much of a standard for Quad mixes (of non-classical music), do these CBS/Columbia single inventory SQ encoded discs sound like the Quad mix was compromised for stereo compatibility?

Kirk Bayne

Three other Columbia Masterworks Original Cast albums , that were SQ (Dual Inventory) and not in the 77 catalog ;

Man Of La Mancha - Columbia SQ- 31237
No , No , Nanette , Original Broadway Cast - Columbia SQ - 30563
Over Here , Original Cast - Columbia KSQ - 32691

-all 3 were also available on Q8 .

Back