R. Crumb

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly. S Clay Wilson's biggest DEMON was his fight with alcohol . The Demon Rum .

On a dreary San Francisco night in 2008 November 01 , Wilson decided to walk home from an Art Gallery , quite drunk.
He was either severely mugged or just fell and smacked his head, causing brain damage that slowly took away his ability to draw and compose stories for his strips.
The Doctor said it was major alcohol abuse thru the years and was now at a stage whereby he would slowly lose all his mental faculties.
He recovered somewhat a year later , and drew again for a time, but it was too late , the damage was already too late , slow and permanent, a demensia type because of his years of alcohol abuse...
and finally worsened to become bedridden.

He finally passed away this year , February 07,2021..

But he leaves behind a large body of incredulous comic strips .
Wow. It is said we all have our demons. I know I'm quite amused to have arrived at my current age. Damn. My glass is empty....

S Clay Wilson's Checkered Demon occasionally made a presence in his very early work. But he did put out 3 Comics dedicated solely to one his favourite reaccurring characters The Checkered Demon.

However his most noteworthy work is with his portrayal of early (British) Pirates on the high seas .

Here's a little peek ;

View attachment 72062

And another peek at the "Will Sin" strip that they say "Blew The Church Doors Off of America" , as the guys in
The Zap Collective were always pushing the envelope one step beyond each other in underground comic satire.

*View attachment 72063

BTW There are 3 Volumes available of S Clay Wilson 's Underground Comic Strips

View attachment 72064
Just ordered volume 1, Fizzy. Thanks for posting the picture of all three volumes!

Just ordered volume 1, Fizzy. Thanks for posting the picture of all three volumes!

Oh yes , Pirates In The Heartland. All 3 volumes contain the majority of his humorous artwork, with little stories contributed by both fans and fellow artists , mostly the Zap Collective , Eight of his collaborative artists . (Crumb , Shelton , Williams , Rodriguez , Griffin , Moscoso and later Mavrides )

The title of Volume one is based on him coming from Nebraska and Kansas and as a young child to his tweens read all he could find about rebellious Pirates. So he was familiar enough to humourously portray his Piratical Characters in his Epic strips.

You should enjoy that Volume , if you are at all familiar with any of his work , and I paid just under $40.00 for each Book . Rather cheap I think , compared to some of Wilson's contemporaries Book Collections.

BTW , HE and William S Burroughs had a unique friendship. He even illustrated some stories of Burroughs.

:)

Last edited:
Back