HiRez Poll R.E.M. - AROUND THE SUN [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of R.E.M. - AROUND THE SUN

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-1461662-1221490562.jpeg.jpg

R-1461662-1221490571.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cookie-cutter R.E.M. sound... I'm sorry, but these guys are obviously past their pull date (just my opinion; apologies to R.E.M. fans). The mix is decent but nearly as lackluster as the music. For what it's worth, the recording quality is top notch. Overall, an average effort.

I love Around the Sun. As far as I'm concerned, the three albums that they've released since Bill Berry left the band (Up, Reveal, and Around the Sun) contain some of the best music of their career. A perfect 10. Love the album, love the mix, love the sonics.

This album needed a bit of time to grow on me.
Less Rock and Roll, this is the "mature" R.E.M. The songs, the sonics and the surround mix make this one of my favorites.

I never understood why this record received so lacklustre reviews. What some may consider slightly boring is to me a very coherent and atmospheric album.
And the mix is very well done because it fits the mood perfectly - no gimmicks, but surrounding the listener with these songs.
A highly deserved 9 from me!

I never understood why this record received so lacklustre reviews. What some may consider slightly boring is to me a very coherent and atmospheric album.

I think this version of REM was a much more measured, polished REM than the one people grew up with in the early 80's. These were very lush and, like you said, atmospheric songs. Musicians get older and how they want to approach their music changes. It happens.

I didn't think this was a bad album, but I did think the material on the album preceding it, "Up," has stuck with me over the years. There's only one song here, "Electron Blue," which I still think of when I think "REM."

Haven't heard the new album yet, but I have thought they've been searching for that magic formula again for a few albums now. Last one rocked hard. This one's supposed to be a return to the sound of "Automatic for the People." It's all interesting enough, but musical middle age can be pretty rough sometimes.

Of all the R.E.M. 5.1 discs this one is probably my 3rd favourite behind Automatic for the People, and Out of Time. I orginally got this on CD and didn't really like it, but then I got the DVD-A. It brought it to another level - what a difference.

You can't fault the Elliot Scheiner mix (as usual)!

Elliot Scheiner nails it once more. A faultless mix of some superb song material. I always loved the way R.E.M. matured from the angry, political, quirkiness of the IRS years to the more mellow, pensive and deeply intelligent years of 'Reveal' & 'Around the Sun', with the period in between ('Out of Time', 'Automatic for the People' and 'Monster) being my favourite.

This gets another perfect 10. And now, on to finding the next R.E.M. DVD-A album...

Here's your proof that even the best mix can't fix mediocre music. I love REM, but it is obvious on this one that they were simply going through the motions. "High Speed Train" is the worst Stipe vocal ever. If he had cared at all at that point it never would have even seen the light of day. Uninspired is one thing, but horribly out of tune is another. The "Yeah yeahs" on "Ascent of Man" sound like he is parodying himself. It's so bad that it actually makes me wonder if he did it just to see if he could get away with it. Maybe they should have gone back to Scott Litt to produce this one since he always buried the vocals anyhow.

Back