R.E.M. "Monster" (5CD/Blu-Ray 25th anniversary edition arriving in November!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
This was officially confirmed by R.E.M.'s manger Bertis Downs on their Facebook page last November (2018).
Facebook link here

The important information is listed down at the bottom:
reissue coming next October (2019)

Contents probably will not be revealed until later this summer but I'm predicting that things will be very similar to the reissues of "Out of Time" and "Automatic for the People": Remastered stereo mix on CD1, Demos on CD2, live audio on CD3, and a Blu-Ray with surround sound (probably the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix from 2005), music videos, and the original EPK

"Monster" is one of my favorite R.E.M. records, so this reissue is most definitely welcome, especially if it as I have outlined above! We shall find out eventually!

:)

REM.jpg

My 2nd favorite band. I already have Monster in 5.1 (everything from Automatic through Around the Sun too) on the DVD-Audio releases. Haven't decided if there is any reason for me to "re-buy" these as they come out in newer sets. It's funny, I think this is their weakest album in the entire run from Automatic For The People through Collapse Into Now, but it's still good. A few really great gems on it too.

It would be nice to get some of those albums , IRS , Warner , that are pre and post all the already released DVDA'S .

And if Clearmountain's still involved , well I'm hoping for The Band -The Band in 5.1 , and while I'm at it another Capitol disc from one of The Band's biggest fans.............George Harrison .........-All Thngs Must Pass .

Wishful thinking , I know.

Even if we don't get a new Atmos mix like we did for "Automatic for the People" and they use the older ES 5.1 mix, I'm still in especially if the 5.1 mix is synced to the music videos, just like it was for the last two reissues.
Having the music videos in HD with surround sound made the "Out of Time" and "Automatic for the People" box sets very worthwhile buys, especially since the "Automatic" Blu-Ray had a different (and maybe even better) surround mix

...especially since the "Automatic" Blu-Ray had a different (and maybe even better) surround mix
Meaning the Atmos mix? Man, I wish I'd like to know if there are some reviews that indicate whether it's the bees knees or not. For something extraordinary, maybe the price of the box is worth it. Otherwise, the ES mix is already very cool.

If Elliot was revived from his grave to mix GNR's Appetite for Destruction on BD then it seems like it would be a no-brainer to ask him to create a NEW 5.1 for this (what is surely to be a) Blu-ray release of Monster.

Maybe someone could even ask Elliot to try and expand his horizons/skills into Atmos.

Now that would be the shit, an Elliot Atmos mix of Monster!

Reactions: GOS
Last edited:
Maybe someone could even ask Elliot to try and expand his horizons/skills into Atmos.

I wouldn't count on it. He stated in an old interview he's not interested in anything beyond 5.1, but maybe he's changed his mind since.

LS: Is 5.1 enough, or are you looking at 7.1, or even 10.2?

Scheiner: I'm completely satisfied with 5.1, and I think that 10.2 is just ridiculous. 5.1 is just fine, and when I hear talk about 6.1 or 7.1, I think it must be coming from speaker manufacturers. We've been struggling for so long to get people to switch to 5.1; now are you going to ask them to buy a new amplifier, more speakers? And where are they going to put them? Stereo was fine for 47 years — 5.1 is all we can handle right now.

Last edited:
Back