HiRez Poll R.E.M. - MONSTER [DVD-A/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of R.E.M. - MONSTER

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)
This 5.1 surround mix was first released in 2005 as a CD/DVDA-V set. Then in 2019 the 5.1 surround mix was reissued on Blu-Ray in a 5CD/Blu-Ray 25th anniversary edition. The Blu-Ray also includes the entire "Road Movie" film recorded on the 1995 tour and all of the "Monster" music videos, all with 5.1 audio.

CD/DVDA-V shots:
R-2086597-1263218850.jpeg.jpg

R-2086597-1404620301-5411.jpeg.jpg

5CD/Blu-Ray shots:
61jyjjW0PAL._SL1200_.jpg

71ifMrsYjiL._SL1200_.jpg

8127IqsOi7L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The mix on this is suited to the music but it's not as good as say Hi Fi or Up. With this album, the band was trying to make a rock 'n' roll record but what they ended up with was this brilliant sonic experiment. The album is big, loud, dumb, and the influences for it are written all over the sleeve. This album should be in anyone's R.E.M. collection. A 10!

Analogdemon, I notice you rate every single REM DVD-A ten points. What's up with that? That ranks up to a pretty unbelievable batting average. Even if you thought they nailed the surround mix on every single release (a spectacular feat in and of itself, especially since most of these titles were not recorded with surround-sound in mind) don't you think there is at least some variation in quality of music and songwriting across these titles? Heck, if I look to my favorite artists, I certainly don't like all their music equally well and I certainly wouldn't rate every album a 10.

Just wonderin'... :confused:

Truthfully man, in my opinion, all the surround mixes were properly done for the music. The mixes are all different but to me, they all work for their particular album.

And as far as album quality, it is my opinion that R.E.M. has yet to put out a bad album. I enjoy every album of theirs equally, though if I had to pick a favorite, it'd be Reveal hands down. I hold a special fondness for the post Bill Berry material (Up, Reveal and Around the Sun) and if you wanted to see some R.E.M. albums I'd rate less than a 10, you'd have to go back to Reckoning or Fables of the Reconstruction, which are not available in surround.

One thing about R.E.M. is that they never put out the same album twice. This band has always refused to be backed into a stylistic corner. I mean you look at Out of Time and Automatic for the People, then what do they give their fans next? Monster and Hi Fi. Then the fans get used to that, so then the jump into keyboards, synth and drum machines for Up and Reveal. Each record had some variation in style and substance and so therefore it's something new to explore. I've never been about holding a band to a particular style and truthfully, I don't think you can look at a band like R.E.M. and say that they have a "quintessential album" against which all others should be judged. I take each album purely based on musical merit and how the album holds together as a whole, and on those notes, all of R.E.M.'s albums cut the mustard for me.

I rated each album a 10 because I love them all and the surround mixes all work for me. :)

analogdemon said:
And as far as album quality, it is my opinion that R.E.M. has yet to put out a bad album.
Right, no problem, but you don't think there is any variation? I mean an 8, 9 or 10 ranking would still indicate a pretty incredible album.

analogdemon said:
I enjoy every album of theirs equally...
Okay, this answers my question on variability. That's pretty amazing. Good for you! (y)

I believe this is the only R.E.M. DVD-A I don't own. I do own "Monster" on CD and rarely listen to it and this isn't a very popular release here, not many votes so I assume not very many own it. I will bump it up to the top and see if some have failed to register a vote and notice, but I am thinking it isn't good enough and I am going to end up with a hole in my R.E.M. collection.

Chris

I believe this is the only R.E.M. DVD-A I don't own. I do own "Monster" on CD and rarely listen to it and this isn't a very popular release here, not many votes so I assume not very many own it. I will bump it up to the top and see if some have failed to register a vote and notice, but I am thinking it isn't good enough and I am going to end up with a hole in my R.E.M. collection.

Chris

same thinking here, chris. i've been an REM fan since Chronic Town and "Monster" is their only release i don't own in at least one format. i bought the original cd when it came out. hated it and dumped it. occasionally i think about getting it in surround the fill the hole in my collection but then i sample a few tracks online and i find still just don't like it. i think a lot of long-time REM fans feel that way about this one. so, how about if you get it first and report back :)

same thinking here, chris. i've been an REM fan since Chronic Town and "Monster" is their only release i don't own in at least one format. i bought the original cd when it came out. hated it and dumped it. occasionally i think about getting it in surround the fill the hole in my collection but then i sample a few tracks online and i find still just don't like it. i think a lot of long-time REM fans feel that way about this one. so, how about if you get it first and report back :)

Ha, I have almost purchased it a couple of times and who knows maybe if I had known you were waiting for another review, I might have gone ahead. Late last year I picked up the other R.E.M. DVD-A's I was missing by using the Google Checkout $20 off $50 promotion a few times. There is a $10 off promo now and my girlfriend picked up a Blu-ray disc that way rather than another music release, but this one did surface again for consideration one last time. This will probably end my consideration and I will have a hole in my collection.

Chris

Does anyone else think that the multichannel "Let Me In" sounds terrible?

On "Let Me In," I think the high resolution clarifies and brings out the purposely distorted guitar, stretching it across the front left, center, and right. The sound may be a little grating, but I believe that was their intent on this song. Vocals in front right, and left, tambourine fill in right rear, and keyboard in left rear. The sound is much more opened up compared to the stereo mix.

I have always liked this album, I prefer it to some of their more popular titles. "Bang And Blame" is a favorite and has very good use of surrounds. "Crush With Eyeliner" is a good one also. IMHO Monster is another Elliot Scheiner work of art. I gave it an eight.

Dennis

On "Let Me In," I think the high resolution clarifies and brings out the purposely distorted guitar, stretching it across the front left, center, and right.

I should have been more specific...I was complaining about the multichannel mix. The vocals are almost completely buried under the guitar. It helps if you turn down the center channel, but it doesn't help much, and then the center is out of balance for the rest of the album.

The vocals are much clearer in the stereo mix.

Last edited:
I should have been more specific...I was complaining about the multichannel mix. The vocals are almost completely buried under the guitar. It helps if you turn down the center channel, but it doesn't help much, and then the center is out of balance for the rest of the album.

The vocals are much clearer in the stereo mix.

Ah.....I get that. :)

Apparently I couldn't stand not having the complete R.E.M. surround collection and I just got this one in today. Finishing listening for the first time right now, it is certainly an upgrade to the CD and the mix is very good. I haven't played anything from R.E.M. but the compilation DVD-A in a long time. This may be at the bottom of the R.E.M. pile, but it is still pretty good. I will decide between 7 and 8 and vote after another couple listens.

Chris

My wife bought me this CD as a Xmas present when it was first released. I didn't care much for it and only listened to it a couple of times. Years later I gave it another spin and found it much better than I remembered. Finally bought the DVD-A a few months ago and love the mix. The MC really opens up the thick, monolithic slabs of distorted guitar and immerses you in the driving percussion and warm, droning fuzz-tone guitar sound.

My vote is 9 for both music and mix.

I'm working my way slowly through the R.E.M. surround mixes and although I haven't rated this one yet, I'm finding it a bit "odd" compared to the others. The vocal sounds wrong (buried and muddy) on just about every track, but it's even worse when the distorted guitar comes in.

I'm working my way slowly through the R.E.M. surround mixes and although I haven't rated this one yet, I'm finding it a bit "odd" compared to the others. The vocal sounds wrong (buried and muddy) on just about every track, but it's even worse when the distorted guitar comes in.

I should be receiving my copy of this tomorrow.....

I'm not sure I've ever listened to all of this album yet - not in stereo let alone in 5.1. I'm only quite familiar of Frequency, and a big fan of Strange Currencies. So most of this will be taken at face value.

What's The Frequency, Kenneth? Good, but not great. I would have liked this to fill the area more from all angles, and the vocal is too isolated in the mix for my liking.

Crush With Eyeliner Very good, although a little tame. I would have liked more all around coming at me, although the rears are used a lot. I like the lower vocal mix for the singing, with the spoken parts higher up.

King of Comedy Very good, but I have no idea how aggressive/tame this compares to the stereo mix. Fact attack: I read a joke Michael Stipe gave in an interview years ago, which years later I texted into BBC Radio 2 and it was read out. (He also raved about lapsang souchong tea in the same interview.)

I Don't Sleep, I Dream Good. Vocals sound a little too isolated again for me. Again, I wonder if this sounds more aggressive in stereo form.

Star 69 Good. Don't like the multiple vocal mix. A bit murky sounding, and I would have liked it less front focused as a whole. Not keen on the vocal mix at around 2:40 either.

Strange Currencies Good. Largely retains the feel of the original, except for the breakdown which has additional guitar, but I would have liked more in the rears. A bit murky sounding.

Tongue I should relisten as I wasn't paying much attention.

Bang and Blame Okay. Main guitar sat strongly in rear right doesn't work for me, it feels off balance and jarring, and lets down an otherwise good mix, although the shaker in rear left is a bit annoying too! Backing vocals in rears work nicely. The extra bit at the end is nice starting front and working to back although still too biased to rear right.

more to follow...

More to follow...
This album is a whole lot more listenable than I remember it being when I dipped into it.

Last edited:
Back