R.E.M. New Adventures in Hi-Fi (25th Anniversary Edition with Blu-Ray out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
As expected R.E.M. are going to release a 25th anniversary edition of "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" on October 29th.
Not many other details are known right now except that it will be a 2CD/Blu-Ray edition, so expect to see the 5.1 surround mix, music videos, and EPK included.

:)

61zM7ItHBbL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

71uDM-t-0QL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71tzgZN0WaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Available to order now!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BY88JYH/
:)

"Craft Recordings proudly celebrates the 25th anniversary of R.E.M.’s tenth studio album, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, with a special reissue set for release on October 29. The bonus-filled 2-CD/1-Blu-ray Deluxe Edition offers a trove of audio-visual content, including the newly remastered album, 13 B-sides and rarities, a never-before-released 64-minute outdoor projection film (shown on buildings across five cities in 1996 to promote the album’s original release), and a previously unreleased 30-minute EPK. Additionally, the Blu-ray features New Adventures in Hi-Fi in stunning Hi-Res and 5.1 Surround Sound audio, plus five HD-restored music videos including “Bittersweet Me,” “Electrolite,” and “E-Bow the Letter.” Housed in a 52-page hardcover book, the collection includes archival photographs—many of which have never been published—plus new liner notes from journalist Mark Blackwell and reflections from all four original band members, as well as from Patti Smith, Thom Yorke, and producer Scott Litt.

Last edited:
My favorite band, give or take.

I'll eventually get this, but it sounds like there isn't compelling audio for me since I have the 5.1 mix and all those singles. Hi-Res stereo would be nice, having the videos in HD would be nice; The essay is probably nice, the EPK and projected video sounds interesting... but I can't be excited enough for a "take my [$50]" meme. Unless early reports suggest the sound is noticeably better than the already fine existing 5.1 and stereo releases, then I'll just let price trackers decide when I grab this. Just as well since this year's budget is heavy on tithing to the Beatles.

Biggest shame in my mind is that if this album (which Stipe has claimed to be his favorite) has such a pro forma deluxe edition then Up (one of my favorites, uneven as it is) will probably not get much love. Same for the other "three legged dog" albums (like Accelerate, which desperately needs a more dynamic release).

Back