R.E.M. New Adventures in Hi-Fi (25th Anniversary Edition with Blu-Ray out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to do some ATmos mixes but Dolby do not make it easy for us.

Actually they do if you're using Apple stuff. The Atmos encoder software is $300 and can run along side $200 Logic Pro on Apple hardware (laptop, mini etc). Both are available with generous free trials. You can mix Atmos on headphones and check the mix elsewhere while you're waiting to build up your speaker environment.

Yeh. So I've ordered it from importcds to Australia. Despite having pretty well everything on it. Have every other 25th anniversary release from R.E.M. . I'm going to go try to convince myself we're all not addicts.

This will be my third of the 25th anniversary editions. I've never liked Monster. Surround won't help it for me and from what read on the site, the 25th anniversary edition is a mess anyway,

I wish Warner would follow the Tull and Marillion model and stick to a presentation format. Including Monster this is the 4th of 4 with completely (almost random) dimensions.

This will be my third of the 25th anniversary editions. I've never liked Monster. Surround won't help it for me and from what read on the site, the 25th anniversary edition is a mess anyway,

I wish Warner would follow the Tull and Marillion model and stick to a presentation format. Including Monster this is the 4th of 4 with completely (almost random) dimensions.
Actually…REM has regained control of their masters and has been reissuing these through Craft Recordings…maybe they are trying to be “crafty” by changing the packaging each time?! 🤔

Yup that was confirmed I think by the official Instagram REM account.

just saw an instagram ad today saying today is the release date but supply chain may delay the blu-ray. seem to indicate streaming should be available today.

maybe a swim off of long beach could retirve it lol

below is the 2021 craft non atmos, non 5.1, just "loseless"

https://music.apple.com/us/album/new-adventures-in-hi-fi-25th-anniversary-edition/1578598355
remastered:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/new-adventures-in-hi-fi-remastered/1590253487
2014:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/new-adventures-in-hi-fi/1440951221

Last edited:
Okay, silly question(s) from someone who is trying to talk himself into/out of buying this. Maybe some kind folks here who are getting this can help me decide. Since R.E.M. is one of the few artists who have an almost "here, take my money" devotion from me, I already have all the audio from this set.

How I'm thinking it through...
  • I have the DVD-A for this and I know it's the same 5.1 mix. I can't analyze that format so I can't guess how its bit depth, etc. might match up with the original, which to my ears is one of the better R.E.M. Scheiner mixes.
  • Going by memory, the new hi-res remasters are fairly compressed, even if not as intensely as the CDs. The original disc is one of those that sounds very good so a newly varnished mix doesn't matter too much to me.
  • The EPK, music videos, and book interest me but would never drive a purchase. The background videos? I mean, I suppose if I have a middle of the night existential crisis that staring at them might hypnotically lull/numb me back into sleep but, uh, yeah... don't need them.
  • The "Vote your dollar" theory. I've read some comments this is the last anniversary set they're contracted to do (but I have no clue if that's accurate). I'm in for Up even if it's another pro forma release like this one. It and Accelerate (which, in dire need of a new and quieter master, would be more than a decade away) are the only remaining albums I have strong affinity for. I'm doubtful there'll be much market for them.
Luckily, this is an inexpensive set (unless *cough* you have all the audio content). Nevertheless....

Thanks in advance.

just do it. I did and I have all the same stuff you have...gold discs ,DVD Audios, SHMs...even MQAs. REM is a 'take my money please, hey do you want even some more ? " band for me

Back