R.E.M. - "Out of Time" 25th Anniversary Edition (with Blu-Ray) coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC I liked those Green tracks in surround too. It seems like Scott Litt (or whomever mixed the album) did quite a lot in post production to the mixes to get them to sound so good. There's that strange timing error on Try Not To Breathe in 5.1 on the intro that not many seem to have mentioned...

I don't find the 5.1 mix of Green to be particularly thrilling, I prefer the more recent analogue cut vinyl WB did on the 25th, I think cut by kevin Gray.

For Out of Time and Automatic For The People I much prefer the surround presentations. I just found Green doesn't open up particularly well which is unusual for an ES mix. My fave tracks are the slower tracks, like Hairshirt and The Wrong Child...maybe that has something to do with it. The tracks on Green I found better in surround were a bit fuller-sounding songs such as I Remember, Turn You Inside Out and World Leader Pretend.

I upgraded my rears to full range and got a completely different opinion of the Green 5.1 presentation. Only thaught it was OK before, nothing special. Listened to it a couple weeks ago and thaught it was great and some of it epic. Have always liked the album since release. Used to like Document 5.1 best but not so sure now, both are excellent.

I upgraded my rear speakers since the last time I played Green in surround, so I'd be interested to hear if that changes my opinion on the mix on the next play.

I upgraded my rear speakers since the last time I played Green in surround, so I'd be interested to hear if that changes my opinion on the mix on the next play.

I for one will be interested in your opinion...

I upgraded my rears to full range and got a completely different opinion of the Green 5.1 presentation. Only thaught it was OK before, nothing special. Listened to it a couple weeks ago and thaught it was great and some of it epic. Have always liked the album since release. Used to like Document 5.1 best but not so sure now, both are excellent.

I've had floorstanding towers for rears since 2006! \m/ \m/
Surround music was the ONLY reason why I went that route, never regretted the decision.

I pull the DVD-A out very occasionally, like once or twice a year when a dance party breaks out in my house. Next Friday night will likely be one. :)

I've had floorstanding towers for rears since 2006! \m/ \m/
Surround music was the ONLY reason why I went that route, never regretted the decision.

I pull the DVD-A out very occasionally, like once or twice a year when a dance party breaks out in my house. Next Friday night will likely be one. :)

I did exactly the same for the same reason about then as well :upthumb

Anyone with large full range mains, bookshelf rears, and a large multichannel music library, owe it to themselves to switch around their setup temporarily, and use the larger speakers for the rears. Of course it isn't feasible for everyone, but it will change the opinion of many mixes. The negative is the 2.0 listening sessions get shafted but fake surround doesn't suck...

Obvious warning is you may not be able to go back and you will begin to think about upgrading your "new" main speakers :)

......and 4x full range floorstanders all round provide handy sized (and at a convenient height) to put your 'yet to play 5.1 discs' on - I've run out of space on my shelves!

Anyone with large full range mains, bookshelf rears, and a large multichannel music library, owe it to themselves to switch around their setup temporarily, and use the larger speakers for the rears. Of course it isn't feasible for everyone, but it will change the opinion of many mixes. The negative is the 2.0 listening sessions get shafted but fake surround doesn't suck...

Obvious warning is you may not be able to go back and you will begin to think about upgrading your "new" main speakers :)

......and 4x full range floorstanders all round provide handy sized (and at a convenient height) to put your 'yet to play 5.1 discs' on - I've run out of space on my shelves!

Sometimes speakers can't be duplicated. Next best thing is to match tweeters and mids around and add subs.

Hate the term floorstanders, although I use it regularly. I prefer the term full range monitor/speaker, but the mental visual isn't nearly as colorful. Nearly all speakers sound better with stands, even the full range ones.

In your instance, if you add stands, you may also need another piece of furniture for new releases on deck! :)

Maybe it's because it can be argued not all floorstanders are full range? Or possibly because it has less syllables. Genuine question: what would the advantage of stands be over spikes?

Maybe it's because it can be argued not all floorstanders are full range? Or possibly because it has less syllables. Genuine question: what would the advantage of stands be over spikes?

From my experience, giving speakers some air is almost always a good thing. Smaller speakers might need a wall for extended bass, but large 3 ways that go low don't need no stinkin' wall or floor and benifit when they can breathe.

I take your point about walls, but would it make sense to go with what the manufacturer designed in terms of floor/spikes/stands, etc, what with all the $$$ in R & D? I'm not trying to criticise your choices, BTW, just a gentle debate :)

Not played much of it yet that I recall. It's on my mental list of things to do.

Check out these lovely packshots:

71oo-VbwHjL._SL1500_.jpg

81kPO96o72L._SL1500_.jpg

:)

Ooooh… that looks nice. I might have to reconsider getting this. I like the book format. Perhaps they'll do the remaining anniversary editions that way.

Back