R.E.M. - "Out of Time" 25th Anniversary Edition (with Blu-Ray) coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deep Discount is offering this for US $51.01
Total of US $54.20 with tax. Shipped. That's a few dollars cheaper than Amazon. Oh boy....do I...or don't I?

Deep Discount is offering this for US $51.01
Total of US $54.20 with tax. Shipped. That's a few dollars cheaper than Amazon. Oh boy....do I...or don't I?

importcds is ~$41 & Bullmoose is ~$45 not including shipping.

Importcds shipping is $2.99 but slow for west coasters like me.
They basically drop ship from Amazon in Hebron Kentucky using USPS\DHL
Bullmoose is in Maine

Here's a beautiful unboxing video for the 4-disc deluxe edition. I'm really looking forward to this release! :)

[video=youtube;Ly8xcy80asM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly8xcy80asM[/video]

Here's a beautiful unboxing video for the 4-disc deluxe edition. I'm really looking forward to this release! :)

[video=youtube;Ly8xcy80asM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly8xcy80asM[/video]

I am too Ryan. As a modest fan of REM, I have been sort of a REM lurker over the last few years, so it will be nice to get this...and in surround. :)

Wow, November 18th is almost upon us!
Out of Time and Stand Up Elevated.

Big REM fan here.
I have the original Out of Time deluxe from back in the day.
Always preferred the "acoustic" version of Losing My Religion to the album\radio version by a wide margin.
Looking forward to the demos and everything else.

I got my 3CD/Blu-Ray deluxe edition in today (along with a bunch of other things!) and just in case anyone was curious, the 5.1 surround audio is DTS-HD MA at 96 kHz 24 bit.
And not only that, but all of the music videos have 5.1 surround audio too! (once again, it's DTS-HD MA at 96 kHz 24 bit)
(Although since the "Belong" video features a live recording, that video does not have a discrete mix, but the others surely do!)

:)

Yep, got my box today. Elliot Scheiner did in fact do the surround mix. Cool....trying to rip it now. :)

UGH - I was in process of doing an audio conversion in Audiomuxer. It easily converted songs 1-9, and 11. Song 10 blew up. I can't convert that one....
According to Audiomuxer, songs 1-9 & 11 are DTS-MA +core and song 10 is just DTS-MA.

I don't understand what that means, but regardless, it won't let me convert song 10. No matter what I do....even if I load song 10 by itself, no dice.
Anyone know what I should do differently?

I just posted this at that other forum people grouse about. Note that my observations are not as refined as most regulars here; I am but a humble caveman grasshopper. What follows is not strictly about the 5.1.

The new CD:
I've gone back and forth listening to ALAC rips of the old CD and new CD remaster in iTunes.
  • The CD remaster does sound louder than the previous edition(s) but to my ear there's more detail in the instrumentation all around. I'll leave it to the experts to figure out if it's brickwalled. For the moment I prefer the remaster, which is only delicately different. That maybe the "shiny new thing" effect, so YMMV.
  • The bass is definitely beefier.
  • The backing vocals are clearer and I'm able to notice touches I've missed in the past.
  • The only weirdness I detect is that after KRS-One's little opening narration I can hear a sort of "pre-echo" of the piano softly in the background (this is audible on the Blu-ray as well).

Blu-ray:
  • I've only sampled a few songs but I'm simply not astute enough to compare these mixes to the DVD-A since there's a lot of lag time switching in/out the discs. That said:
  • This 5.1 matches my memory of the DVD-A, which has gotten a lot of play this year.
  • I've only listened to the stereo of "Belong" and "Half a World Away" and they sound great. The stereo mix is akin to the CD remaster.
  • You can switch between stereo and 5.1 on-the-fly (a nice little improvement over the DVD-A) and even if it turns out the CD is brickwalled I can assure you that the hi-res stereo is noticeably quieter than the 5.1, for whatever that may be worth.
  • "Belong" has to be my favorite 'subwoofer' song on any disc I own and it sound glorious.
    [Edit to add: This sounds the same to me as the DVD-A. I'm no basshead, but I absolutely love Mike Mills' melodic thumping on this disc and how it anchors simply wonderful harmonies that just glide over the tracks.]

A few visuals to note:
  • Thankfully, the new menus don't have music playing behind them (that gets annoying).
  • There are Play All buttons for those who want them.
  • Its menus are more user-friendly than Beatles 1+ and Pet Sounds.
  • Unlike the old DVD-A you can see all the album tracks (handwritten like in the old album) so you can switch songs more easily. That said, if you hit "Main Menu" while a song is playing it stops.
  • As tends to be, the audio defaults to 2.0 LPCM but there's also a DTS MA 5.1 option.
  • The videos are in 2.0 and 5.1 but, as one would expect, the visuals are not remastered so there are still artefacts. Nice to be able to watch them with lossless audio finally. Sounds great (to me) -- only listened in 5.1 so far.
  • There is no gallery or stills on the disc itself.

The Demos & Mountain Stage:
I won't have time to listen to them until next week but I'm looking forward to it. As posted above, I wouldn't expect many revelations in the demos. The ones I've heard are slightly different than the boots I've occasionally listened to in the past so I wouldn't delete those files just yet if you have them. And, yes, the few I've sampled that are on previous boots do sound much, much (, much) better. A quick A/B of "Texarkana Demo 1" and the album remaster put them at similar volume. The demo obviously lacks sheen but is clear as a bell. I won't miss the tape hiss at all.

The packaging:
I really like it. The whole thing feels really nicely made and thoughtfully laid out.
  • The album cover's logo is part of the hype sticker. After removing the cellophane it's just the background. I've always felt the logo was too big so it's nice. I took the sticker (which I accidentally ripped) and applied it to the inside.
  • The back cover is a large affixed leaflet with all the details. I tucked it inside.
  • The front and back cover are both textless with the only print being on the spine.
  • The package itself is a hardbound book. Smaller and thicker than Pet Sounds, with each CD sliding into its own page.
  • I haven't read the essay yet but it's several pages.
  • The album credits are all nicely laid out behind each disc.
  • The pages include what photos I expected as well as the cartoon panels from the original release.

My unsolicited opinion? If you're on the fence but have the money I'd vote to get it. Especially if you don't have the DVD-A but do have a 5.1 system. That, the live shows, the demos and essay justify the $50 in my mind. To each their own but I find nothing here to slag off and this doesn't feel like a cash grab.

I'm that much more primed for Automatic for the People if this is how Concord Bicycle has upped R.E.M.'s anniversary series game.

UGH - I was in process of doing an audio conversion in Audiomuxer. It easily converted songs 1-9, and 11. Song 10 blew up. I can't convert that one....
According to Audiomuxer, songs 1-9 & 11 are DTS-MA +core and song 10 is just DTS-MA.

I don't understand what that means, but regardless, it won't let me convert song 10. No matter what I do....even if I load song 10 by itself, no dice.
Anyone know what I should do differently?

I know this post is a bit off topic, yet it is about this particular release. So, I found a workaround. Long story short - 10 of the songs I ripped are 96/24 and 1 song is gonna have to be 48/24. Not the end of the world...and I was able to name them in a manner that all 11 show up in 1 folder for Foobar...and it handles the switch in resolution without a hitch. Soooo - that's cool.

Shiney Happy People in surround, the song you love to hate with what's her name from B-52's.
Belong, a great bass workout.

Haha - I must be the minority. I love that song. Especially in surround. And, I love the chick from B-52's. I wish they'd release some B-52 in hi-rez surround. :)

My last note on this fantastic release. The 5.1 tracks 11, are fantastic. I recommend watching the 9 videos in 5.1 first, Blu Ray is a gift.

My last note on this fantastic release. The 5.1 tracks 11, are fantastic. I recommend watching the 9 videos in 5.1 first, Blu Ray is a gift.

I agree. It does sound fantastic. Love it....for me, well worth the money as this is my only version of the release...so all is good.

In case anyone's having trouble getting the 4-disc edition (with Blu-Ray) for "Out of Time", this was posted on the R.E.M. Facebook page today:
We understand that the Deluxe Edition 4 disc set of the Out Of Time 25th Anniversary package is currently on back order due to extremely high demand and a high volume of orders— NOT a “nice problem to have.” For those of you who are currently waiting on your shipment, we are very sorry for the delay and are working with Concord/Bicycle and Universal, the record labels involved, to resolve this and to restock the online store at REMHQ.com and other retail sites ASAP--hopefully in a few days.

Back