HiRez Poll R.E.M. - UP [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of R.E.M. - UP

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-2086577-1263218645.jpeg.jpg

R-2086577-1404620696-7400.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This album is a complete work of art in every way. I thought I knew every note of this album from listening to the vinyl since its release in 1998, but wow. The surround mix put a permanent grin on my face. What a difference! This is R.E.M.'s most under-rated album in my opinion. Keep in mind that you MUST have an open mind to enjoy this record. Throw away all pre-conceived notions of what R.E.M. sounds like because this record is very Genesis-like. Lots of layered synthesizers and drum machines. I can't say enough good things about this album. A 10!

Last edited:
Wow -- this is an amazing surround sound disk. There are LOTS of cool elements that leap out of the mix.

Up itself is a flawed masterpiece -- it's main issues are that it's too long and it's poorly sequenced. But it's still a fascinating collection of songs, some of which are as good as anything R.E.M. ever did. The story is that the remaining members of R.E.M. really labored to get through the making of the album after Bill Berry quit. Because of this, not as much thought went into sequencing and editing (one of the ways that Berry was more than just a drummer). The opening cut "Airportman" really should've been a b-side, and there are too many longish minor-key dirges. It's a real shame because there's an unbelievably good 11-song buried somewhere in a rather difficult 14-song disk. So my suggestion is to resequence the disk in a way that makes sense to you (hint: listen to "Suspicion" first.)

That said, I still gave it a 10 for the outstanding and very active surround mix (Elliot Scheiner strikes again!) and for the strength of the good songs here. It has a melancholy mood that I think would appeal to fans of Beck's Sea Change . Check it out!

Incredible mix! I heard this album inspired Radiohead's masterpiece Kid A. If so, a rare instance of the student schooling the teacher. Still, I prefer this change in direction to their earlier jingle-jangly early albums.

Mix/Sonics.: 10
Music: 7

A dark, peculiar and - at the same time - a fantastic album, in a way their best. Nice experimentation and manipulation, all this really does come to new life in surround (stereo wise I prefer it with headphones). Not only is some of Stipes best lyrics found here but also some of his finest vocal work. Deep, layered, cool, authentic, many are the words to describe this. Great mix, very engaging. Fidelity good, could be slight better.

8,5 rounded up to 9.

Last edited:
Baggy dig the s*#t out of this. To Baggy it like AFtP in terms of mood, and in some ways composition and instrumentation, but with added, modern sound elements.
Some lo-fi stuff and glitchy stuff. Length and sequence could have been better, but are effective enough for Baggy.
Outstanding mix. Great sonics.
9 or 10.

Listening now to this DVD Audio, great menu, Advanced Resolution 5.1 which is a 24 bit/48Khz PCM signal, pretty dang good. As Baggy said very modern with not at all what you know to be R.E.M. Reminds me of U2's Pop. In a way it is refreshing to hear R.E.M in a different way. I am going with a solid 9, glad I have it.

My favorite of the post-Monster albums. It's pretty weird in places, almost prog-like, but ultimately really interesting/memorable compared to the earlier pop stuff. I don't love every song, but "Lotus" and "Suspicion" are up there with the best stuff they ever did. This album has much more going on in terms of arrangements and instrumentation than the earlier stuff (lots of synth), so it translates well into surround, especially with ES at the knobs. An 8 from me.

Last edited:
I gave it a 10. Great album, love the content, love the sound quality and of course Mr Scheiner's amazing mix!

Back