R.I.P. Chick Corea

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
😥

From Corea's Facebook page:

It is with great sadness we announce that on February 9th, Chick Corea passed away at the age of 79, from a rare form of cancer which was only discovered very recently.

Throughout his life and career, Chick relished in the freedom and the fun to be had in creating something new, and in playing the games that artists do.
He was a beloved husband, father and grandfather, and a great mentor and friend to so many. Through his body of work and the decades he spent touring the world, he touched and inspired the lives of millions.

Though he would be the first to say that his music said more than words ever could, he nevertheless had this message for all those he knew and loved, and for all those who loved him:

“I want to thank all of those along my journey who have helped keep the music fires burning bright. It is my hope that those who have an inkling to play, write, perform or otherwise, do so. If not for yourself then for the rest of us. It’s not only that the world needs more artists, it’s also just a lot of fun.

“And to my amazing musician friends who have been like family to me as long as I’ve known you: It has been a blessing and an honor learning from and playing with all of you. My mission has always been to bring the joy of creating anywhere I could, and to have done so with all the artists that I admire so dearly—this has been the richness of my life.”

Chick’s family will of course appreciate their privacy during this difficult time of loss.

R-2524099-1304919027.jpeg.jpg

R-4115246-1355743216-5439.jpeg.jpg

Chick Corea - Rendezvous In New York (SACD, US, 2003) For Sale | Discogs

I don't know why this is so shocking and it was GOS who said he didn't realize he was 79. He showed so much life in concert that I just didn't think of him being that age yet. What a major loss for us and so sad for all his family and large camp of friends. Truly an innovator and major influencer.

I was fortunate enough to see Chick, Eddie Gomez, and Paul Motian at the Blue Note during an NYC trip in 2010. They were on a two-week residency, built around a tribute to Bill Evans (the residency was recorded for the album Further Explorations, but I have no way of knowing if any of the set I saw ended up on there).

Chick was always my favorite of the Corea/Hancock/Jarrett triumvirate. Such a sad and sudden loss.

Very sad about Chick's passing. Had the privilege to see him multiple times in different contexts and he never disappointed. Got to meet him on a couple of occasions, and had the opportunity to discover that not only was he an incredible innovator, but he was also a complete down-to-earth. class act.

Several of his early ECM records (Piano Improvisations, Vol. 1, Crystal Silence, Return To Forever ) where among the first jazz records I ever bought.

RIP Armando, you will be missed!

51Yt5ggi%2BzL.jpg

Back in another life I had the opportunity to work with Stretch Records on the release of this album (not the DTS version) - I was lucky enough to attend the album release party where Chick and this all star band performed for a lucky few. In meeting him, as was mentioned earlier, he was humble & gracious. His music was as influential as anyone’s and his artistry, impeccable. RIP

Last edited:
Like many others I'm sure, I first heard Chick on Return To Forever's Romantic Warrior. I was mesmerized by his unique expressiveness combined with such explosive technical skill! The guy could really do it all. Immediately hooked, a fan ever since.

I was fortunate to catch the band live during that tour at the wonderful Hancher Auditorium in Iowa City, IA in 1976. I remember Chick was on one side of the stage with his stack of keyboards + grand piano, and drummer Lenny White with his large kit on the other side, leaving lots of room in the center for Al Dimeola and Stanley Clarke. This was before the era of Jumbotrons on stage of course, so instead they had 2 HUGE MIRRORS suspended above Chick and Lenny at a 45° angle, so we could look down at them from above! That was so cool. One of my favorite concerts ever.

Rest in peace Chick.

Back