R.I.P. Chick Corea

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved the man and his music, and so did Phil Freeman of Burning Ambulance, so I hope other fans won't take offense at the title or the substance of his blog post, below. But even if he's being deliberately provocative, I think Freeman makes some fair points about the occasional well-meaning missteps of "one of jazz's great populists." And what he has to say about 80s production values in general really resonates with me. (And, of course, marks me as the hypocritical fist-shaking oldster I am.)

https://burningambulance.substack.com/p/chick-corea-man-without-taste

As the old essay exam prompt used to say: Discuss.
So much I want to say, but words escape me, at least words with meaning. But briefly:
Chick, to me, could be sometimes boring beyond belief.
Chick, to me, especially with the right combo and well written and/or improvised tunes, could be like a God of Jazz.
He was only a Man. Men (and Women) often fail in their pursuits. But I think Chick got it right more than wrong overall. Live did not always translate well to the studio. One could find many reasons for that, as the author of the story did.
Bless Chick Corea. My (musical) life is better for him having been here.

Shout out to @humprof for providing the link.

I have to admit, when I see a thread pop up with "R.I.P. Chick Corea" and I have a moment of sadness, and then I realize, wait, I already knew he died, 2 1/2 years ago. It's getting real hard to keep track of who is still with us and who isn't.

Chick's 80s stuff never grabbed me, either.

But I like at least some of Prince's 'jazz' pieces, if he includes Rainbow Children in that genre.

Last edited:
I have to admit, when I see a thread pop up with "R.I.P. Chick Corea" and I have a moment of sadness, and then I realize, wait, I already knew he died, 2 1/2 years ago. It's getting real hard to keep track of who is still with us and who isn't.
I heard that!

Excuse me for diverging a bit?

Well though many of we on QQ are neither musicians, engineers, or immortal, think about this folks,
I have no earthly idea in real numbers what the average age of QQ'rs are...
...but I suspect over the next 10 years, many of us will have passed. Some young folks, for sure many of us over 70. Way it is, but sad as well.
Sad, because I've come to either know or recognize so many on QQ.
Not meant to be morbid, by any means. My way of saying it's been a fun ride with you all. Nope, not planning to go away anytime soon!

Back