R.I.P. Jewelsleeve

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atrocity

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I'm not sure if anyone else has so thoroughly run out of storage space that they've been forced to resort to Jewelsleeves, but if you're a fellow fan, I'm afraid the news is bad:

Storage for CD - DVD - JewelSleeve - The world's finest CD storage device!

SOLD OUT!!

The Jewelsleeve has been informed by our manufacturer that the machine that makes our Jewelsleeves has run it's course and is simply no longer able to make the Jewelsleeve.

It cranked out a few million Jewelsleeves over 24 years!

Unfortunately, to repair or replace this custom machine would be astronomical and just not economically feasible at this time.

So it is with great regret and sadness, that the Jewelsleeve will be no longer.

Thank you all for supporting The Jewelsleeve for the last 24 years. There simply would be no Jewelsleeve without you!

There are a limited number of Jewelsleeves remaining in stock and will no doubt, run out quickly - So in the spirit of fairness, please limit your order to a maximum of 300 Jewelsleeves per customer.

If your order is placed after we sell out, you will be issued a refund.

So, where are the big sales?

The last production run of sleeves required extra personnel to keep the aging machine in check - and to prevent the materials from shifting during assembly - The sleeves were virtually made by hand which doubled the labor cost. The prices listed on the website are the final prices.

Thank you all once again for your years of support and we'll see what the future brings. Onward and upward!

Best,

Joe Goldberger
Jewelsleeve

So... The cardboard sleeve is "the future"... I can live with that.
I always thought the jewel box was one of the most intelligent, well thought out storage methods anyone ever came up with...but man, when you find yourself with uncountable thousands of them, they sure eat up space and weigh a LOT.

What I appreciate(d) about Jewelsleeves is that you could keep the disc(s) and artwork together while taking up a fraction of the space with a fraction of the weight.

Though I'd never have gone for them were I not one of those who puts EVERYTHING on multiply-backed-up hard drives for streaming. I'd never want to actually get rid of the original discs for lots of reasons, but at the same time I very rarely--but not never--need to access them. Jewelsleeves were the perfect compromise for my situation.

I hate the standard jewel case and have never heard of the jewel sleeve. The point might be moot as they are no longer available but do you have a picture of one? I'm just curious to see what they look like.

I wish that the super jewel box was used more, at least the hinges don't often break!

I hate the standard jewel case and have never heard of the jewel sleeve. The point might be moot as they are no longer available but do you have a picture of one? I'm just curious to see what they look like.

I wish that the super jewel box was used more, at least the hinges don't often break!

do you have a picture of one?
I just took a bunch of pictures, cropped and resized them, then logged on and saw that Sonik Wiz found that video! I'll go ahead and post just this one though, because for me (and I assume for most people) the thinness is the point. This is the side view of one containing a CD, the booklet and the tray insert:

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
Shawn Nagy's Super Oldies used to supply CD's in something similar. They called it an eco-wallet or digisleeve. I remember them selling the sleeves separately as well but don't see anything on their site. They seem to be slowly moving away from selling CD's; I notice a lot of CDR's and flac downloads lately.

https://www.superoldies.com/main.html

Last edited:
Just surprised that when record stores started going out of business years ago and everything shifted to mail order, the Majors didn't switch to digipacks which are lighter in weight [for shipping purposes thus saving on postage] and much more eco~friendly!

ALL those cracked cases [and replacements] over the years only added to the frustration.

When MoFi stopped releasing their SACDs in Super Audio plastic cases everyone initially balked but in hindsight, their LP size jackets do take up way much less space and their spines easily legible!

But don't get me started on those 'patented' MoFi 'lift lock' cases which over the years had a high failure rate ....

R.684ca410c508c62e944e8acc1330fbce

Last edited:
Back