Radio, Radio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshBuchanan

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
If a similar thread already exists, please let me know.

I would love to hear about national/local/internet/pirate radio stations or programmes that QQers recommend. Ones that play cool music for cool people (like us). I do a lot of driving for work and would like to hear some new radio programmes to listen to (via Bluetooth) in the van.
My favourite radio programmes at the moment (all BBC, and GMT) are:

Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone. 6 Music. Sunday evenings.

Unclassified. Radio 3. Thursday Evenings.

Gideon Coe. 6 Music. Mon-Thu 9pm

Mark Radcliffe's Folk Show. Radio 2. Wednesdays 9pm

Sounds Of The 70s. Radio 2. Sundays 3pm.

A VPN might be required to listen to these outside the UK.

Radio!
WFMU
It is extremely varied. I enjoy Michael Shelley on Saturday mornings. Music to Spazz By on Thursday nights. Some weird sound sculptures sometimes, during the day in the background. They archive shows as well.

I'll do some shameless self-promotion for the radio station that I DJ at WRTC FM in Hartford, CT. We stream online and have a stream rewind function on our website that allows you to listen back to any show broadcast within the last two weeks. Every weekday morning from 9 AM - noon we have a different rock show, all of which I really like. The guy on Monday plays lots of new stuff, the woman on Tuesday plays deep old cuts, the Thursday guy plays some pretty esoteric stuff, etc.... We have a show on Saturday afternoons from 2:30 - 5:30 called Greasy Tracks with Chris. He plays a great variety stuff and frequently has interviews with many great musicians. (He recently interviewed Jeff Baxter and Tony Levin). And then there's my show, Crashing the Ether. I'm on Sunday nights from 6 PM - 8 PM. I try to start off each show with some interesting new tunes before playing some older obscure gems. The station also has a lot of great jazz, r &b and reggae programming as well. And it's all commercial-free! I actually took all of September off and am looking forward to returning tomorrow night. (All times EST!).

I'll do some shameless self-promotion for the radio station that I DJ at WRTC FM in Hartford, CT. We stream online and have a stream rewind function on our website that allows you to listen back to any show broadcast within the last two weeks. Every weekday morning from 9 AM - noon we have a different rock show, all of which I really like. The guy on Monday plays lots of new stuff, the woman on Tuesday plays deep old cuts, the Thursday guy plays some pretty esoteric stuff, etc.... We have a show on Saturday afternoons from 2:30 - 5:30 called Greasy Tracks with Chris. He plays a great variety stuff and frequently has interviews with many great musicians. (He recently interviewed Jeff Baxter and Tony Levin). And then there's my show, Crashing the Ether. I'm on Sunday nights from 6 PM - 8 PM. I try to start off each show with some interesting new tunes before playing some older obscure gems. The station also has a lot of great jazz, r &b and reggae programming as well. And it's all commercial-free! I actually took all of September off and am looking forward to returning tomorrow night. (All times EST!).

Sounds perfect. I'll tune in. Do you take requests? 😉

So what surround formata are available from these services?

57 Chevy Radio is pretty good. They play a fairly deep list, every once in a while airing a song that didn’t make the top ten, but still bringing back memories. Stereo at best, but surround wasn’t even a twinkle in engineers’ eyes in those days.

57 Chevy Radio is pretty good. They play a fairly deep list, every once in a while airing a song that didn’t make the top ten, but still bringing back memories. Stereo at best, but surround wasn’t even a twinkle in engineers’ eyes in those days.

Hmmmm.
Stereo? In 1957, stereo was available only on half-track tape. Stereo records appeared in 1958 and stereo FM in 1961.

I had a 1957 Chevy. It had a mono AM radio (OEM).

The two I listen to the most are,

Planet Rock: via UK DAB & Internet https://planetradio.co.uk/planet-rock/ a Classic Rock station, during the day more 'rockier'.
My favourite show is The Long Player Sunday 10pm-midnight which has a more varied selection, Stateside (US & Americana) Wed. 8pm & Sat. 6pm, & Blues Power (Sat. 10pm Sun. midnight). All available to listen to on demand.

Arrow Classic Rock: Dutch Radio station via Internet Arrow Classic Rock or Arrow Classic Rock NL radio stream live and for free Classic Rock but very varied, wide range of genres, no chat, adverts before 11pm UK time.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any memories of classic stations/DJ's from back in the day are welcome as well. I have quite a few John Peel Top Gear shows on mp3 file from the late 60s early 70s. They are great glimpses to the past; One minute he's reciting poetry with John and Yoko, the next he's got a live session from Son House or King Crimson or Led Zeppelin, the next a chat with a physician about std awareness.

A friend of mine does two shows each week. first Monday, and Friday. Here is his promo post for today's show:

Today on Jazzed is another edition of First Monday Live. The first Monday of each month is devoted to live, mostly unreleased jazz concert recordings.

On today's show I'll be paying tribute to four jazz virtuosos. Each had attained the highest status in their field of expertise, be it with an instrument or as a producer...and each of them recently passed away, leaving the jazz world just a little emptier. We'll hear live, unreleased music from organist Joey DeFrancesco, pianist Ramsey Lewis, saxophonist Pharoah Sanders and producer Creed Taylor. You've probably never heard this music before, so I hope you tune in and experience what I've curated for you today...and spread the word!

Tune in each Monday at 4PM PST for Jazzed on non-profit, community radio station KPCA-FM (103.3 in the Petaluma area or streaming online at kpca.fm or radio.garden). You can listen online from anywhere in the world!!! Also, you can check out past Jazzed shows streaming on MixCloud at www.MixCloud.com/jazzed.

His Friday show is:
Live Archive broadcasts every Friday @ 5PM pacific time (2 hrs)
Both can be heard here: Kpca.fm OR radio.garden

Check them out!

Hmmmm.
Stereo? In 1957, stereo was available only on half-track tape. Stereo records appeared in 1958 and stereo FM in 1961.

I had a 1957 Chevy. It had a mono AM radio (OEM).
Of course, I meant what the station is broadcasting. I heard smatterings of stereo in the late 50s or early 60s. I can’t say I was paying much attention in those days.

You HAD a 57 Chevy? You let it get away?

The horror. The horror.

Of course, I meant what the station is broadcasting. I heard smatterings of stereo in the late 50s or early 60s. I can’t say I was paying much attention in those days.

You HAD a 57 Chevy? You let it get away?

The horror. The horror.

Couldn't get a transmission for it in 1978. Yes, it ran 21 years. A tow truck operator ruined the original Turboglide. Part of the insurance settlement made the tow company buy it.

The horror. The horror.
That was my favorite car. Here is a picture of it:

The57.jpg

I especially liked the transmission that did not shift gears.

I’ll share my fav internet radio station; except in this case it’s a radio network. SomaFM has kept me sane since college. 42 (some of those are seasonal/rotate out) different stations all based around themes or genres.

My two favs are Groove Salad (mid tempo electronica) and Drone Zone (all ambient all the time) but there’s lots more.

Entirely listener supported, no ads, only the occasional interruption to say to donate.

https://somafm.com/

Back