Quad LP/Tape Poll Raiders: Indian Reservation [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Indian Reservation"

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Their 1971 Lp, including the biggest his they'd ever have(though hardly their best, IMO).

Side 1:

1. Indian Reservation
2. Shape of Things to Come
3. Heaven Help Us All
4. Take Me Home
5. Birds of a Feather

Side 2:

1. Prince of Peace
2. Just Remember, You're My Sunshine
3. Come In, You'll get Pneumonia
4. Eve of Destruction
5. The Turkey

ED :)

I love this album! I have it both on SQ and and as a stereo LP. It grew on me over the years. Now I can't even listen to the stereo version of the album, the quad mix is that good. They had other great albums, and other possible cantidates for Quad, like Hard n' Heavy.

The remix of the title track, IMO, remains the chief reason to have this one in your collection..if you dig the rest of it, all the better...:)

ED :)

One of the best from Columbia! This is like the Sly Stone tape where you can listen to it from start to finish! (Who does THAT anymore?) What I find most interesting is if the song isn't of the highest caliber *cough* at least the mix makes it interesting! The Turkey comes to mind. While it is a bit of a throwaway B-side (did the song even make the Top 100?) the mix is really good being incredibly discrete while still surrounding you in the band and not leaving any mysterious Quad "black holes". 100% absolutely dig it, man! :phones

Interesting tidbit, anyone notice that "Birds of a Feather" is a completely different take or version from the stereo album?

I'm afraid I have to give this one a 10! It's a really GOOD classic Quad mix, decent content, and an eye popper for sure. Ever show this Quad album/tape to anyone who wasn't aware it was a Quad release? They'll want you to play it!

Question: the tracklist n the first message is the Q8 one.
Italian stereo release was:
Indian reservation
Birds of a feather
Just remember...
Prince of peace
Eve of destruction
Come in...
Shape of things to come
Take me home
Heaven help us all
The turkey

The SQ release what song sequence does have? Match the stereo LP or the Q8?

Question: the tracklist n the first message is the Q8 one.
Italian stereo release was:
Indian reservation
Birds of a feather
Just remember...
Prince of peace
Eve of destruction
Come in...
Shape of things to come
Take me home
Heaven help us all
The turkey

The SQ release what song sequence does have? Match the stereo LP or the Q8?

The sequence on my Columbia SQ copy is as follows:

Side 1:
Indian Reservation
Shape of Things to Come
Prince of Peace
Heaven Help Us All
Take Me Home

Side 2:
Just Remember...
Come In...
Eve of Destruction
Birds of a Feather
The Turkey

Interestingly, the sequence that you've listed is the same sequence on the back cover of my album, but it is noted that one should "see label for sequence."

J. D.

My listing was based on a PM sent to me, since I needed a track listing and didn't have the Lp here(I do now, and the above track listing for the SQ Lp is indeed accurate).

:ed:

One of the very best.

The mix of the title track is one of the best ten surround mixes of all time.
Dramatic, dicrete, delicious. Make that one of the top five.

Did you know this was, at the time, Columbia Records' best-selling release ever?
Good thing, too. Without that we would never have seen a quad release.

Make sure you get your hands on the conversion from the unreleased reel tape, which you'll find far superior to the SQ or Q8 versions.

Content-wise, this album is great. I had to downgrade it to a 5 because on a few tracks, there were parts mixed into center-back that caused the SQ version of this record to not be fully mono-compatible. On "Birds of a Feather", for example, background vocals that are clearly audible in SQ and stereo are totally lost in mono. Assuming some radio stations did actually broadcast tracks from this album, and since not everyone listened to a stereo radio, this record would not have sounded correct.

I don't mind the mix at all...and it should be noted that CD-4's don't fold to stereo(let alone mono)all that well, in my experience, UNLESS you have a stylus that is optimum for that kind of cutting(and even then, vinyl quality and mastering are so variable with CD-4's even having the best won't help in some instances). Therefore, regardless of mix, a good many quad Lp's might not fold the way you would wish them to. But that's another thread entirely(as is the subject of centering the rears in the mix). As for this one, a '7,' good mix, decent(if hardly outstanding)music, but redeemed by mixes that open things up a bit from the more constricted stereo edition.

:ed:

I did some radio work back when this album came out, and I noticed that little faux pas when I listened on a small radio in another part of the station. Nobody else seemed to be bothered by it, but I was. I still like the album, and still play it
(from a CD I dubbed it to) on occasion.

The Stereo album is available as a 2-fer now on CD with another later Raiders release, 'Collage". I just ordered me a copy. It was long overdue to get a CD release. For Columbia, one of their biggest sellers from the 70s, yet not released on CD til now. Better late than never!

Has anyone sniffed around for the quote-unquote unreleased Quad reel eggplant mentioned of this title? I would like to hear it. I wonder if it too features the wandering kicker drum on the title track like the Q8 has. :D

How cool would that be? I received my Stereo remaster cd and all I can say is wow. Collage and IR in stereo at least never sounded better. Worth the 17 dollars i spent. it's an import, oddly made in Australia. CBS in the USA had nothing to do with the release. My question to the researchers would be if they found the quad master when they worked with the stereo master. It doesn't mention anything like that in the otherwise detailed liner notes. Still I can't stop thinking about a Quad reel!

Another fantastic Quad. My Q8 of this has a gold foil slipcase, instead of the gold/green matte slipcases that came later. What can I say? 10. I've owned 5 copies of this. The SQ is my fave, but the Q8 is what I've heard the most. Though I've not heard it, I would expect the conversion from Q4 would be the penultimate. The title song was slated to be a Mark Lindsay solo record.

There is a new Raven Aussie CD of Country Wine, their next album. My friends in the record business called the LP a stiff. It didn't sell. I got a promo in '72. Yet, Country Wine is a great album. The CD has a gaggle of bonus tracks. Recommended for Raider Rebels.

Linda

Sad thing, Linda, is that there are a lot of great albums out there that, while we may think they were the best things since sliced bread, just never seemed to go anywhere. But someone else's loss is our gain, so to speak. If a pop album didn't generate a single, that could have something to do with it. But I have several albums in my collection that I enjoy, despite finding them in the cut-out bins. Some are now even on my iPod.

raiders.jpg

Back