Random Stuff About Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just fed "Zeit" by Tangerine Dream into the Surround Master's 4.0 setting and it sounded great in surround!! So try regular stereo into the SM sometime.

Although that album is full of droney, modulated material, so it probably lends itself well to decoding

can’t say I really just today I was listening to Sarah Vaughan singing One Mint Julip on my SMv2 and it split Quincy Jones band all over the place (in a great way) and Sarah’s voice carried nicely. Played as 4.1 - even though my centre speaker has a pair of 4” supplemented with a 10” sub with 8” radiator!

Also did an impressive job with the Spotify version of a the basic signal of a multichannel SACD (obviously not multichannel over the internet) of multi choral recording of early baroque music.

Impressed with Chucky’s commitment to his science/art and entrepreneurship in awkward circumstances - the Samsung example reminds me my many years of product development in parking meter technology and business paper software for statutory processes, where the compromise between perceived “overthinking” and “ease of use” was never appreciated! Hope you do a better job protecting your IP!

Thanks for your comments Mag. They are very helpful.

If you're using a crossover/sub setup, the solution with higher strength settings is to simply reduce the LFE/sub output temporarily while you're using the mode.

I do not have a subwoofer. I will try setting the subwoofer to ON when using Auro 3D. That may reduce the excessive bass. However, I perceive that the bloat is in the mid-bass area.
As for center spread mode, etc. on DSU, if you have 3 identical mains, it's not needed.

I actually did go back and changed the "center spread" to OFF. Although my center speaker is not as big as the mains, it is a very large 3 way with a 12 inch woofer. Making the change did not produce much off difference.

I am hoping under $2K

Certainly the SM is a brilliant product, with my sincere congratulations.
However, NEO-6 does a pleasingly acceptable 5.1 improvement with my good old CDs, and my 50+ SACDs and 150+ DVDs, Blurays sound just so magnificent on OPPO 105 in full 5.1 that for cost/benefit another HW box just does not rate. Racing backwards into the full digital future without media ?!?

I thought Oppo stopped selling hardware?

Vinyl is more popular than ever, and new quadraphonic releases may be on the horizon. In fact, a direct-to-disc quad LP just released today.

Good news for Involve Audio if QS on vinyl makes a comeback. It'd be interesting to compare the QS version to the Atmos version directly, though.

I assume it's possible to take the SM output and create 4.0 or 5.0/5.1 FLAC encodes that could be played back on any conventional modern surround system using a computer with 5.1 inputs?

Ahoy all! Throwing in my $0.02 on the whole interface debate.

HDMI is such a pain in the cliche. I'm faced with a few choices. If want something to be HDMI compatible, even if it uses DP as the output connector, the signal still has to be HDMI compliant, meaning a 4 x 2 channel TMDS, with video clock timing. Additionally it has to be generating a clock that can do I BELIEVE a minimum of 720p to get enough high resolution multichannel audio interleaved on the vertical return of the signal for 6 channels at 96/24 (definitely want the higher snr of 24 bit, 96khz should do but 6 channels of 196/24 would be better if only on paper) so maybe a 1080p signal - at any rate(pun intended), even if we don't use a HDCP compliant bridge, still I believe technically requires an HDMI license. They really are insidious.

At any rate - the options I can see are either use a cpu or FPGA to generate a blank video signal and interleave the audio, and just spit it out straight to an HDMI connector - that would take time to get working and there's no guarantee that a sink (end point for the data) wouldn't see an absence of HDCP and just say no, even if there's no actual protected content coming in (Sigh) - it means we can't guarantee equipment compatibility, plus FPGA is expensive -other option is a pre-made solution, either an HDMI-AUDIO-BRIDGE, which is essentially dedicated silicon designed for exactly what I just said, but on spec, or an HDMI transmitter IC (you can't even sample those without an HDMI license). The audio-bridge solution could work (you can get dedicated boxes that do it but they're at least 800 USD or more) or get a dedicated bridge IC but they are currently a)scarce, thanks to the electronics shortage at the moment, which is only going to get worse and b) fairly bespoke (Charlie hates that word) companies that don't make much else, and as such are hideously expensive.

So here I am wondering what the hell to do but whichever way it goes I'm either going to have to re-learn some VHDL / Verilog and try to fake an HDMI compatible signal, or insist we start paying the exorbitant license fees, or both. I have a third potential idea in the back of my head that might get around the whole problem (think a multi-out connector with 3 i2s streams and an external OEM box) but that's still in the proto-ooze part of what I currently call my brain.

Here's an decent white-paper on some of the stuff I was talking about

https://www.cablestogo.com/learning/library/digital-signage/intro-to-tmds
Hope this helps. I need a cup of tea and a swift flagellation.

Back