Ray Thomas "Words and Music" compilation (includes "From Mighty Oaks" surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Details here: Ray Thomas - Words and Music - 2 Disc (CD/DVD) - Cherry Red Records

Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the release of a new 2 disc CD and DVD collection of recordings celebrating the musical life and work of RAY THOMAS. Ray was a founder member of THE MOODY BLUES, a band whose legacy and classic albums need no introduction. He was a musical pioneer, introducing the flute into the context of a rock band before such luminaries as Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. Ray’s contribution to the Moody Blues was immense, and when the band went on a hiatus in the mid-70s, Ray recorded two solo albums for the band’s THRESHOLD label: “FROM MIGHTY OAKS” and “HOPES, WISHES & DREAMS”.

• NEW REMASTERED 2 DISC COMPILATION CELEBRATING THE MUSICAL LIFE OF MOODY BLUES’ FOUNDER RAY THOMAS
  • A CD & DVD (NTSTC / REGION FREE) WITH 15 TRACKS INCLUDING RAY’S FINAL RECORDING – ‘DADA’S SONG’ – ISSUED HERE FOR THE FIRST TIME
  • BONUS DVD FEATURES THE 5.1 MIX OF “FROM MIGHTY OAKS” AND THE PROMOTIONAL VIDEOS OF ‘HIGH ABOVE MY HEAD’ & THE NEW VIDEO FOR ‘DADA’S SONG’
  • ARTWORK & BOOKLET FEATURE TRIBUTES FROM MANY MUSICIANS & PRODUCERS WHO WORKED WITH RAY
  • REVIEWS IN “UNCUT”, “MOJO”, “RECORD COLLECTOR”, “PROG” MAGAZINES
  • COVERAGE ON SOCIAL MEDIA, RELEVANT WEBSITES & FANZINES
When the Moody Blues regrouped to record the album “Octave”, Ray was once again within their ranks and would appear with the band on record and on stage until he retired from the band and live performance in 2002. The release of a limited edition boxed set of his solo work by Esoteric Recordings in 2010 saw Ray return to the studio to record the song “The Trouble with Memories” (co-written with keyboard player and arranger Bias Boshell).

Sadly, Ray passed away in January 2018 leaving behind a wonderful legacy of work, including his very last song (co-written and recorded with the Welsh musician Ryland Teifi): ‘Dada’s Song’, a piece which lyrically paid homage to Ray’s Welsh ancestry. This compilation gathers together a collection of songs from the first line-up of the Moody Blues, Ray’s solo album and includes the first ever release of ‘Dada’s Song’. It also includes a bonus DVD (NTSC / REGION FREE) which features the 5.1 surround sound mix of Ray’s 1975 album “From Mighty Oaks” (originally featured on the limited edition 2010 boxed set, unavailable for some years and included here due to much demand from fans), the 1975 promotional video of ‘High Above My Head’ and the new video for ‘Dada’s Song’ exclusively shot for this release. The booklet features many tributes from those who worked with him, including former band mates Denny Laine and Mike Pinder.

“Words & Music” is a heartfelt tribute to a wonderful and much missed musician.

DISC ONE: CD - WORDS & MUSIC

IT AIN’T NECESSARILY SO – The Moody Blues
FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART (I LOVE YOU) –
The Moody Blues
HOW CAN WE HANG ON TO A DREAM –
The Moody Blues
I WISH WE COULD FLY – Ray Thomas
HIGH ABOVE MY HEAD – Ray Thomas
ADAM AND I – Ray Thomas
LOVE IS THE KEY – Ray Thomas
ROCK-A-BYE BABY BLUES – Ray Thomas
MIGRATION – Ray Thomas
DIDN’T I – Ray Thomas
WITHIN YOUR EYES – Ray Thomas
WE NEED LOVE – Ray Thomas
THE LAST DREAM – Ray Thomas
THE TROUBLE WITH MEMORIES –
Ray Thomas & Bias Boshell
DADA’S SONG – Ray Thomas & Ryland Teifi

DISC TWO: DVD - WORDS, PICTURES & MUSIC
FROM MIGHTY OAKS - 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX

FROM MIGHTY OAKS (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
HEY MAMA LIFE (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
PLAY IT AGAIN (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
ROCK-A-BYE BABY BLUES (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
HIGH ABOVE MY HEAD (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
LOVE IS THE KEY (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
YOU MAKE ME FEEL ALRIGHT (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
ADAM AND I (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
I WISH WE COULD FLY (5.1 SURROUND MIX)

VISUAL CONTENT
HIGH ABOVE MY HEAD
(1975 PROMOTIONAL FILM)

DADA’S SONG (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

RAY-THOMAS-CDDVD-scaled.jpg

My guess is that the DVD will be a straight copy of the iso file with new graphics printed onto the disc.

I'm not so sure about that, only because this DVD contains a new video for a song that's not on the original 2010 DVD called "Dada's Song", so therefore, I think this will be a different DVD from 2010, probably this time with both Dolby and DTS 96/24 audio.
I'll see if I can confirm that with Mark Powell, who runs Esoteric.

:)

I'm not so sure about that, only because this DVD contains a new video for a song that's not on the original 2010 DVD called "Dada's Song", so therefore, I think this will be a different DVD from 2010, probably this time with both Dolby and DTS 96/24 audio.
I'll see if I can confirm that with Mark Powell, who runs Esoteric.

:)

Totally agree ....... will most assuredly include a DTS 5.1 DVD~V. At Cherry Red's asking price of £12.99 ..... a veritable bargain. Release date: September 25th. But nary a mention of a lossless 96/24 remastered Stereo mix.

BTW, any idea who did the 5.1 remix as there's no mention in the Quadraphonic Discography of a prior QUAD release?

Last edited:
Not big on Mighty Oaks besides “Wish We Could Fly”, which should had been a Moodies song. It would had been a show-stopper for sure. I do love the HWD album though and I never tire of it. It seems though that the first one gets all the attention for some unknown reason?

Ray was my favorite Moody and I was so sad to hear about his passing. He always got so much love from the audience though and I am sure that meant a lot to him. Funny thing about that band is the one who I always liked the least (John) is the one now carrying the torch forward as Justin seems sick of the whole thing. And John even pays tribute to Ray in his shows. Kind of gives me a whole new appreciation of the man for sure.

Last edited:
I preordered this from Cherry Red anyway but I really wish someone would say what codec is used for the 5.1.

rtbluray asked:
Did anyone receive this release yet?

Not yet...
...but given my eagerness to receive it , I'm tracking the order near hourly!

It's been most half a century since these 3 albums, in reverse order, dominated my turntable:
Labelle "Nightbirds'
New Riders of the Purple Sage [as self-titled]
Ray Thomas "From Mighty Oaks"

As exquisitely recorded as the second one above is -- and if you've never heard it through your decoder of choice, I urge you to do so -- only the first and third were released in quad.

Owned the SQ version of "Nightbirds" from the day I found it at the (still extant) hippy-dippy record store in inner city Minneapolis known as 'The Electric Fetus.'
(Having lived a mere block away from it at the time, and still working in radio broadcasting then, I bought damn near EVERY record wanted from that marvelous store!)

Bought "From Mighty Oaks" a couple of times over the years (at least TWO vinyl replacements, 8-tracks, SACD, etc etc ad nauseum) and had made more than one attempt at "quad mastering" versions of it -- via EV-4 decoding, with all signals raised to equal levels when dubbed -- such that my RtR SANSUI QD-5500S displayed all 4 (derived) channels at equal strength.
When Ray's 'Rock-a-Bye-Baby-Blues' came soaring through my basement apartment that was *nirvana*!!!

Even better, my then-workhorse quad amp PIONEER QX949-A displayed, via its scope, that my dubs had indeed all been recorded per-channel signal-strong as I both wished and had attempted.

Far less so my many attempts DISCRETELY to dub my numerous quad 8tracks --->> RtR.
Had I owned the TEAC 4ch Dolby unit acquired years later, I might have kept trying.
But boy howdy how the price of RtR blank tape *exploded* around 1980-82!

So, when the first [digital] multi-channel release of 'From Might Oaks' came out my lust to own it was unbounded. And -- without regard for critical cavils or quarrelsome nit picking -- fully satisfied.

Now all I can do is wait...
...a few more short days...
...for what, to me, stands as the finest individual release ever made by a member of The Moody Blues.

Last edited:
Back