RCA Quad Mix Discussion: Diagonals or Super Stereo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
So let's talk somewhat hypothetically here. Say you have an RCA vintage Quad mix, and you're trying to figure out if it has the correct channel layout.

To make matters worse, all four channels feature lead vocal, however, two are mostly dry vocal, and two are noticeably wet with reverb and echo.

So, here's the first thought: Do you put dry in front and wet in the rear? I would say YES, but only if the dry vocals are louder. But there's discussion to be had there. I've heard a few mixes where they put a dry lead vocal in back center and it can create a sensation of that vocalist being in the room with you.

Secondly, this same vintage mix features drums and bass either in cross channel (FL / BR) (FR / BL) layouts *OR* would you place those pairs in the phantoms to create drums on your left and bass on your right?

In my mind, BOTH sound equally good, one gives you super stereo, while the other works well with a Quad headset and mixes the FL / BR in your head to simulate stereo. We've discussed this mixing style with the Ray Steven's Greatest Hits where it features criss-cross mixing. Now, would you assume that to be a mistake and it should've also been drums left bass right? I mean.... that was done with a few Carpenters titles.

And here's a third question, probably best answered by those who were actually IN the industry at the time.... using vintage equipment, and a 16-track tape machine, and on that 16-track tape you had ONE single track of bass guitar. Using a vintage mixing board of that period.... literally.... explain how you could split one track of bass into two channels: Front Left and Back Right. I would imagine that would not be an easy task.

And here's a third question, probably best answered by those who were actually IN the industry at the time.... using vintage equipment, and a 16-track tape machine, and on that 16-track tape you had ONE single track of bass guitar. Using a vintage mixing board of that period.... literally.... explain how you could split one track of bass into two channels: Front Left and Back Right. I would imagine that would not be an easy task.

Send/Return can be used for that. Send (out) the channel 11 into the return (in) of channel 12 and you got a double mono track ready to panpot where you want.

Back