RCVR: Harman Kardon 900+ Quadraphonic Receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scan_20180409 (2).png

From a brochure, listing the 700+,800+,900+

Attachments

• Scan_20180409 (2).png
    Scan_20180409 (2).png
    779.3 KB · Views: 249
Yup... 700+ never went into production beyond a handful of pre-production prototypes, although about 5000 pieces were planned. Retooled into model TA-600 stereo (non-quad) receiver. Competed in similar power output class to model 730. The TA-600 msrp was $399.00. The 730 msrp was $419.00. The 730 was made for H/K by Shin Shirasuna in Japan, the TA-600 made in H/K's Plainview, NY USA factory. The "Made In USA" label made it very popular in France where many TA-600s ended up being shipped to. I think a good number of the TA-600s on Long Island were purchased by H/K employees for themselves or for family and friends. Less than 2000 TA-600s made.

Hi 4morhktech, I'm looking for someone to restore my 900+ so I could enjoy the full potential of it. Does work some but fades out as it warms and drops channels. Really only going to use it in stereo mode so maybe less work since a 90 watt Harman Kardon receiver would be awesome! Any help out there will be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
Looking for someone to restore my 900+ so I could enjoy the full potential of it. Does work some but fades out as it warms and drops channels. Really only going to use it in stereo mode so maybe less work since a 90 watt Harman Kardon receiver would be awesome! Any help out there will be appreciated. Thank you
http://stereoadvisor.com/ - Havn't used them yet. But they do high end vintage equip.

I have owned several HK Quads my favourite for design was the 150+ strictly on looks, I always had issue losing 1 channel which I fixed a couple of times, I have and use my 900+ daily which is a great Quad receiver, Lots of sounds when I got it in 1975 paired to my 4 15" Cerwin Vega's, You could literally shake the house with Great live sound & drowned out just about anything that could make noise! Today I use my 900+ with 2 Definitive 2002 powered speakers with 250-watt subwoofers built into the speakers and a pair of Bipolar BP6 Talk about great 4 channel sound, I still think 4 channel in many ways is better than Stereo or Dolby 5.1 surrounds for music.

Add a good DAC to Aux in and be prepared to be amazed, IMO I believe the HK Quads sounds better than the Sansui 7100 or even the big boy QRX 9900 which I have owned or my monster Marantz 4400 with the latest SQ decoder designed by Marantz! The Sansui and Marantz advertise 60 watts per channel and the HK 900+ is rated at 45 watts but at loud volumes, the HK has the best sound! The HK sound is more dynamic and I think its due to the separate twin power supplies HK used as well as the only 8 filter Stereo to quad SQ decoder HK developed (the only 8 filter designed) other than Fosgate Tate II which is hands down the best decoder I ever heard for cutting a record apart and sending the sound swirling around the room.

When my 150 plus decided it needed to go to the hospital I bought a huge AKAI at the time and I remember my buddies coming over and saying WOW that's awesome, they were impressed with the LOOKS not the sound! I guess they liked the big Big Quad but the sound really sucked! The moment my 150+ was back the AKAI went back to the dealer and I ordered my 900+

I agree that HK is a weird brand but for sound in the stereo and 4 channel mode from the Citation Tubed amps and preamps to the fabled 930 Stereo receiver and the Quads 150+, 800+ and the 900+ Harman Kardon was a standard that Audiophiles and the Industry admired and raised the bar for the Industry! Too bad HK is now really gone but there is a following of collectors who have kept the sound and memories alive...

Last edited:
Wow, great question!!! I didn't know I never used it, I never found a reason to spend the money when most of the best Rock at the time was in SQ, also the cost of buying another turntable and needle was a turn off for me at least at the time. When I bought my 150+ I was the breaking ground with all the Stereo experts who believed that Quad was not in the same league as their big Stereo receivers that were being offered to the public.

Basically my introduction to Hifi, when I was a kid, was my Uncle George gave me his HK Citation iV and Citation V amp and preamp when I was about 18, I used that setup till I was ruined the amp by not allowing enough space for the tubes to breath so I smoked her!. Being very spoiled with the great sound I decided to buy a Harman Kardon 930 Reciever, very very powerful 45 watts per channel with my Cerwin Vegas 3 ways with 12" woofers!

Then quad was introduced and I was a huge fan and promoter, It was lonely in those days being a quadder, I am not sure if it caused me to become anti-social to the Stereo audiophiles with their huge Marantz, Harman Kardon's, Sanusi, Pioneer flagships all nice and shiny with a million knobs and controls! I have an HK Cit 1, Cit 2 (in restoration) Cit 4 and Cit V in my audio room and they are sweet-sounding on my 4 speakers but I still prefer to listen to my music with distinguished speakers and my HK 900+ SQ circuit. Guess I am old fashioned or have grown to be stuck in my ways but hey its all about the music and I say Rock On if it makes you feel good Just Do IT!!!

Back