RCVR: JVC 4VN-990 Quadraphonic Integrated Amplifier

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrockasaurus

If you have any more photo's or comments to make on this quadraphonic unit please feel free to post them in this thread....:)

JVC 4VN-990 Quadraphonic Integrated Amplifier (1974)

Rarity: SCARCE
Average Sale Price: $150 - $250.00

Kinda scarce...but they do seem to turn up reasonably frequently...and not too expensive when they do....
PS!!...made a mistake on the title line....should be AMP & not Receiver (RCVR)....

I just got this one...but it's only worked properly for a week or so before it's gone a bit ga ga...probably transistors... :( ...the person who sold it to me said it was just serviced....

....yea....right...:rolleyes:

Anyway.....while it was working it sounded pretty good. Warm and full, maybe not as good as Sansui, but pretty decent, and worth fixing up. No built in "name brand" decoders as such, except for JVC's SFCS, which on one setting is supposed to be similar to SQ or able to decode SQ (..or similar matrix formats), and on the second setting is like a Quad ambience thing for the 2 to 4 channel fake Quad. Not quite Vario-matrix or anything close, but useable and pleasant enough....I liked it. Didn't get a chance to test the SQ-ish decoding setting.

The Phono stage is OK but not as good as my JVC 4DD-5 outboard Quad Decoder....however, didn't quite get a chance to try really compare proper before the unit buggered up...

The five band eq is unusual on an amp in this era and is very handy but can also be switched out for the audio puritans out there. The quad level meters have a switchable low/high range, and look really cool bouncing up and down...they are usually illuminated, but the globes (..and wiring) are missing on mine....so another thing I've got to work on... :p

Some photo's of my unit below....a few very slightly photo-edited to remove some scratches, which I sure will drive me nuts when I can no longer update this post.

Note that the Function/Source & Volume knobs are not original. The SFCS knob is, but was originally used for the Function & Source with a matching one. I changed them (..swapped) them around as the seller had put some dodgy substitutes in place of the original Volume & SCFS knobs and my new choices looked better.

I gotta say...I think this is one of the nicest looking Quad components from this era.

JVC VN-990 Quadraphonic Integrated (1974) - Front OPEN Panel.jpg
JVC VN-990 Quadraphonic Integrated (1974) - Front CLOSED Panel.jpg

JVC VN-990 Quadraphonic Integrated (1974) - Front Left1.jpg

JVC VN-990 Quadraphonic Integrated (1974) - Front Middle.jpg

JVC VN-990 Quadraphonic Integrated (1974) - Front Right.jpg

JVC VN-990 Quadraphonic Integrated (1974) - Front Side 2.jpg

JVC VN-990 Quadraphonic Integrated (1974) - Rear Side.jpg

Note the Military style plug in circuit boards...which will at least make this unit (..hopefully) easy to repair when I get around to it. I havn't investigated the insides in too much detail yet, but all (..most) of the electronics appear to be on the easily accessible & removable top boards with just wiring under the bottom panel...Thank you JVC...:)

JVC VN-990 Quadraphonic Integrated (1974) - Top View INSIDE 1.jpg

Some Basic 4VN-990 Info:

Power Output: 35 Watts (8ohms) x 4 (or) 88 Watts (8ohms) x 2 - (....via Switch on Back)
Weight: 35.2Lbs.

Inputs/Connections Available:
Phono Inputs x 2
Quad Aux In x 2
Quad Tape Loop In/Out x 1
Stereo Aux In x 2
Stereo Tape Loop In/Out x 1

Quad Pre Out
Quad Main In

Last edited:
very nice unit indeed. I'll bet it went for a pretty penny in the day with all the options and an eq to boot. I saw a jvc aml from the same era, with a smaller eq.

Yep...I'm sure it did cost a pretty penny being their top of the line Quad Amp, but then just about all Quad stuff was expensive relative to wages back then. I'd say JVC suffered a bit more than most in the Quad era.....not really being considered a premium brand, but with some fairly premium prices on their Quad product and no real demand. The unit's sound very nice, regardless.

P.S. Here's a image I found of a 4VN-990 with original Knobs...just so anyone interested can see what they should look like, as opposed to my improv on the missing SFCS & volume knobs on my unit.

JVC 4VN-990 Orig FRONT.jpg

...for the curious...and anyone in a similar "knobless" situation as I was...my improvised function & source knobs were from a dead 1980 Marantz SD-1000 cassette deck & my new volume knob is the level control from a pretty but truly horrible sounding (...so no great loss there... :rolleyes: ) 1978 Sony TC-U5 Cassette deck.

My recollection on this piece is a $499 list price. We were a big JVC dealer and only sold a couple of these. A great piece! JVC was great sounding and very reliable. We sold lots of the black faced Quad receivers, which were great performers. JVC, Technics and Panasonic suffered from no QS or SQ, but only prorpietary decoders. Then again, how good were the built-in decoders in other brands, other than Sansui? Although perhaps not as popular, JVC wasn't a bargain brand. CD-4 aside, JVC made some GREAT Quad gear!

Good Luck with the JVC and it can be interesting to change to "Look" with different knobs. Like changing the rims on your car. I have bought equipment that is missing knobs, I swap them around. It is good to buy knob sets when you see them at a good price.

To bad no one makes custom knobs, they make custom rims for car and motorcycles. You just need a computerized milling machine (CNC?) I wouldn't think it would be that hard write a program. I don't know what the demand would be, but be creative. I was thinking about covering some with stingray hide or ostrich, they customize cars why not try it on audio equipment. Almost any knob is better than none, imagine being a knob salesmen.

I bought a JVC quad receiver and all the knobs were missing. I borrowed a set from a Kenwood KR-9940 that I had, I couldn't stand seeing it knobless.

aaabb800aa.JPG

Just joined the Forum-Bit long in the tooth but still very capable.
I am pretty sure I have in my hundreds of old Hi Fi Leaflets and Catalogues, collected in the days of the shows at Harrogate (who remembers those then?); a JVC catalogue and price list of the era for the 4VN-990, 4VN-880 and below. I will have a look in the next few days and post if I can work out how to upload. I used to have a 4VN-880 some years ago which had 1 intermittant faulty channel, it had plug in circuit boards for each channel as I recall, we used to change the boards round and Hey Presto working again. Will chat again soon. Barry

Yes I also have 2 4VN-880s sitting in my lounge (great for 7.1 using external decoder) - one developed a faulty channel & I was able to work out which circuit board was at fault by swapping with other unit, very easy fix (just a noisy transistor).

I also have a 4VN-770 & 4VN-990 which I use for computer recording using Sound Forge/Sound Laundry.
Also have a number of Sony Units - SQD-2000, SQD-2010 & 2x SQD-2020 + SQE-2000.
+ approx 20 other pieces of Quad equipment (including 4 different CD-4 decoders)

I also have service & owner manuals for most of them.

Good Luck with the JVC and it can be interesting to change to "Look" with different knobs. Like changing the rims on your car. I have bought equipment that is missing knobs, I swap them around. It is good to buy knob sets when you see them at a good price.

To bad no one makes custom knobs, they make custom rims for car and motorcycles. You just need a computerized milling machine (CNC?) I wouldn't think it would be that hard write a program. I don't know what the demand would be, but be creative. I was thinking about covering some with stingray hide or ostrich, they customize cars why not try it on audio equipment. Almost any knob is better than none, imagine being a knob salesmen.

I bought a JVC quad receiver and all the knobs were missing. I borrowed a set from a Kenwood KR-9940 that I had, I couldn't stand seeing it knobless.

View attachment 5056

agree - it would be like a women with no breasts.

Just like the hifi gear, you can always buy a new set. Original equipment always has its' charm. Although you didn't mean it that way, I have GF's who have lost them. No offense taken. It wreaks havoc with their self image. Kudos to the husbands who love them just as much. I have many more GF's who've been enhanced.

Nice to see a new tag line. Now, get on your pygmy pony and go check on your crop of floss!

agree - it would be like a women with no breasts.

Back in the 1970's there was a dealer in Sleaford, Lincolnshire here in the United Kingdom and surrounded by air force bases, who shifted more JVC 4VN880 and 4VN990's than did the stores in London.

This was a source of amazement to JVC UK Limited at the Eldonwall trading estate, in North London and was regularly reported to Japan!

If only the hard up civilian population had not been suffering from 25% tax on goods purchased, who knows quadraphonic sound might just have been a success!

Just as attractive today as back then. Just like the ladies.

Back