• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

RCVR: JVC 4VR-5456x

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

8trackman

JVC made some cool 70s gear- heres is their big quad receiver, I like the hidden panel for the buttons

JVC:4VR-5456X

Rarity: Uncommon

Average Sale Price: $50-120.00

Front

Back

these units are also strictly designed for cd-4 only, but there are 2 selections for matrix decoding as well. This unit may offer a cheap alternative to the more popular cd-4 units

it seems to have some decent power as well 64x4 at 4 ohms
48x4 at 8 ohms

anyone have any experience with this unit? I also like the JVC 4 VR 1006 (bulls eye unit)

Last edited:

8trackman

wow nice.....and it comes with a JVC labelled cd-4 calibration record!!!!! some people are saying the CD-4 calibration records are hard to find nowadays- I haven't really looked

how is the CD-4 unit on this machine? it seems like JVC really supported that format over the other quad formats, it has the CD-4 symbol twice on the receiver,

Quadrockasaurus

I really liked the styling on these....there's some variation in the early units in that some included a "auto" CD4/to matrix TAC-309 selection board, and some don't.

They were still printing up new!! brochures for the essentialy unchanged early 70's 4VR-5456X Quad receiver in 1977. There's some info on one of the German JVC sites (..link below) that say's that JVC in the U.S. had a heap of these left by '76 (...about the time they changed over to their new "Stereo Only" range) .....so they changed the model number (...to VR-5565X) on many of them and re-sold the remainder as stereo units.!!

A great deal of info on this unit (...and others) at this site - JVC Quad Info - German Site

Ilookmarvlus

This unit also has matrix decode capability, with two matrix settings, but I do not know what the matrix settings are for, or how good they are.

Here is one presently for sale on EFlay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JVC-4VR-5456X-Receiver-Rare-Estate-Find-/120680638278#vi-desc

MTGC
Funny thing I am just getting ready to start using my 5456x tt I bought back in Japan in 1975. Only saw one in the states abd it sold fir $800.00 in 1976. Stll have my Cd4 disk, technics turntable and Sony 4 channell reel to reel.

This is the best sounding system I've ever owned.

Quad Linda

Staff member
I sold these back in the day. Well-built and great sounding. CD-4 was JVC's baby, so they weren't about to offer other systems built in. The decoders are proprietary circuits which will do a good job on QS/RM/EV-4 an so-so on SQ.

The lines on this are clean and it has built in SEA (eq.) Although the previous line had no built-in CD-4, I prefer its' styling and was truly saddened when they were discontinued:
jvc4vr5445.jpg

ljason

I still have my JVC 4vr5456x from 1974 set up at my lake house. 4 JBL L100s really rock out records played on my Dual 1229Q table with Empire 4000 Dlll cart.

hobie1dog

QQ Supporter
QQ Supporter
I traded my new Sansui G-5700 receiver for one of these years ago. The JVC was full of white noise, a huge disappointment.