RCVR: JVC 4VR-5456x

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8trackman

JVC made some cool 70s gear- heres is their big quad receiver, I like the hidden panel for the buttons

JVC:4VR-5456X

Rarity: Uncommon

Average Sale Price: $50-120.00

Front

JVC4VR-5456Xfront1.jpg

jvcfront2.jpg

jvdmanual.jpg

Back

jvcback1.jpg

jvcremote.jpg

these units are also strictly designed for cd-4 only, but there are 2 selections for matrix decoding as well. This unit may offer a cheap alternative to the more popular cd-4 units

it seems to have some decent power as well 64x4 at 4 ohms
48x4 at 8 ohms

anyone have any experience with this unit? I also like the JVC 4 VR 1006 (bulls eye unit)

Last edited:
wow nice.....and it comes with a JVC labelled cd-4 calibration record!!!!! some people are saying the CD-4 calibration records are hard to find nowadays- I haven't really looked

how is the CD-4 unit on this machine? it seems like JVC really supported that format over the other quad formats, it has the CD-4 symbol twice on the receiver,

I really liked the styling on these....there's some variation in the early units in that some included a "auto" CD4/to matrix TAC-309 selection board, and some don't.

They were still printing up new!! brochures for the essentialy unchanged early 70's 4VR-5456X Quad receiver in 1977. There's some info on one of the German JVC sites (..link below) that say's that JVC in the U.S. had a heap of these left by '76 (...about the time they changed over to their new "Stereo Only" range) .....so they changed the model number (...to VR-5565X) on many of them and re-sold the remainder as stereo units.!!

A great deal of info on this unit (...and others) at this site - JVC Quad Info - German Site

This unit also has matrix decode capability, with two matrix settings, but I do not know what the matrix settings are for, or how good they are.

Here is one presently for sale on EFlay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JVC-4VR-5456X-Receiver-Rare-Estate-Find-/120680638278#vi-desc

MTGC

Funny thing I am just getting ready to start using my 5456x tt I bought back in Japan in 1975. Only saw one in the states abd it sold fir $800.00 in 1976. Stll have my Cd4 disk, technics turntable and Sony 4 channell reel to reel.

This is the best sounding system I've ever owned.

I sold these back in the day. Well-built and great sounding. CD-4 was JVC's baby, so they weren't about to offer other systems built in. The decoders are proprietary circuits which will do a good job on QS/RM/EV-4 an so-so on SQ.

The lines on this are clean and it has built in SEA (eq.) Although the previous line had no built-in CD-4, I prefer its' styling and was truly saddened when they were discontinued:
jvc4vr5445.jpg

I still have my JVC 4vr5456x from 1974 set up at my lake house. 4 JBL L100s really rock out records played on my Dual 1229Q table with Empire 4000 Dlll cart.

I traded my new Sansui G-5700 receiver for one of these years ago. The JVC was full of white noise, a huge disappointment.

Back