RCVR: Pioneer QX-8000 Quadraphonic Receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrockasaurus

If you have any more photo's or comments to make on this Quadraphonic unit please feel free to post them in this thread....:)

Pioneer QX-8000 Quadraphonic Receiver (1971)

Rarity: COMMON
Average Sale Price: $100.00

Top of the line in the first range of Pioneer Quad Receivers.

Pioneer QX-8000 Quad Receiver 2.jpg

Pioneer QX-8000 Quad Receiver 1.jpg

The QX-8000 was replaced by the slightly redesigned & restyled QX-8000A in 1972 (below).
Pioneer QX-8000 Quad Receiver 3.jpg

Hi
Yes just got one 8000A .
Like it so far after a diode change and replacing some of the indicator lights.
What's with those whack Speaker connector plugs and does anyone stock them or know where to get them?
If not, can anyone suggest a real alternate solution?
I was thinking female 1/4 inch mono with the male side on the speaker wires.

TPS

G'day...Congrats on picking one of these up. The speakers plugs are a prick and always seem to be missing. Try ebay, I've seen them for sale occasionally, some private seller here in Australia, but kinda steep, last time about $20 for a stereo pair...$40 for Quad..ouch!!.

There's also a place in the US who's name escapes me that was also selling these....but closer to $US40 a stereo pair....double ouch!!

I think it be almost cheaper and handier to just pull the whole old speaker connector assembly out and replace it with decent modern screw type speaker connectors. Lacking that, you might try some spade type lugs thick enough to fit tightly in the plugs which should be very cheap to pick up.

Good Luck..!!

Yeah. I saw it. Like selling water in Death Valley for $500 bucks a pint. I ordered some replacement connectors from PartsExpress before I saw the Ebay Bandit. He must be high on dog food because drugs don't do that. Imagine~$80 dollars for some 10 cent connectors. As they say in Brooklyn, I don't thinks so.

I also ordered some capacitors for the power supply. I 'm starting to get some love for this.:banana:

Yeah I saw it too.Kinda like $500 bucks for a pint of water in Death Valley or $50 bucks a teaspoon. For $80 dollars (which is more than I paid for the unit shipping and handling) I get to use 16 gauge wire for my speakers.I'm going in another direction. I ordered some speaker posts from Partsexpress. I take pictures and post before and after.

Yeah I saw it too.Kinda like $500 bucks for a pint of water in Death Valley or $50 bucks a teaspoon. For $80 dollars (which is more than I paid for the unit shipping and handling) I get to use 16 gauge wire for my speakers.I'm going in another direction. I ordered some speaker posts from Partsexpress. I take pictures and post before and after.

Looks like you've found your solution, but I did a bit more searching and it seems Pioneer still actually sell's these speaker connectors on their US web site...still pricey, but a slight bit cheaper than the earlier alternatives above. Part Number AKM-003 currently US$7.25 ea...so US$14.50 a Stereo Pair.

Love those CS-05 speakers in the add above, I can see 4 of those at my place - just a bit of an issue getting them to New Zealand...

Those old round Pioneer speakers do look really nice, that old wood lattice work for the grills especially give's them a real elegant old-worlde sort of look....I like em too (y) ....but I'd suspect they'd probably sound dodgy being old school rear surround's.

Those old round Pioneer speakers do look really nice, that old wood lattice work for the grills especially give's them a real elegant old-worlde sort of look....I like em too (y) ....but I'd suspect they'd probably sound dodgy being old school rear surround's.

I just finished helping out a buddy of mind yesterday. We decided that if the drivers are ok and the surrounds aren't destroyed that a fresh set of poly or mylar caps in the crossover are the answer to putting the original sound and perhaps better into an old speaker unit. The old caps were electrolytic and small on the handling power. Just two cents that works.

surteess,
I tried 4 Pioneer CS-05 round speakers on my Sandui QR-4500, and took two back, and went for a pair of Sansui SP-2500 for the front A channels, keeping the remaining pair of CS-05 for rear channels use only.
I wish I could have kept the extra pair for the B side rear channels, as they have everything but floor shaking Bass response. Who would know back in 1972 that they would later add the power sub-woofer, but frankly, the ones that I have heard are not that good, as a mono source of good bass sounds annoys me. Setting those SP-2500 on the floor, in some room arrangements, to appease others I have had to stack the CS-05 on top of those from time to time, or outboard of them Then I could only use them as a B Front pair instead. I had Bose for rear speakers, matched pairs. That is where the Sansui A-B Stereo pots best come into play to adjust for room acoustics. All in all, I prefer the Quad arrangement pictured above, on the A speakers only.

The Pioneer QX8000 was my first Quadraphonic receiver, (we called them tuner-amplifiers back then), and was annoying because of the very poor standard of mainly tantalum capacitors that fizzed and crackled after a couple of years usage.

Eventually a trip in 1974 to Pioneer United Kingdom at Iver Heath in Buckinghamshire, the home of importer Shriro UK Limited, saw some thirty five of the little pests removed for better quality components. Up to replacement in 1977 for a Sansui QRX9001, it then worked very well, if under powered by the standards of the replacement.

The thing that always amused me was the name Quadraliser which I just thought was a silly name! Replaced by the inclusion of the QD210 decoder, (which like most Pioneer SQ decoders did not work satisfactorily), to become QX8000A, by late 1972, the act of coupling a phase changing decoder to a single earthed four channel amplifier, was not the greatest master stroke of electronics, that Pioneer ever achieved. Inside or outside of the receiver.

Little wonder that Sony SQ did not recommend the use of one box quadraphonic amplifiers or receivers with their offerings in the same period.

Nice to see the QX8000 after all these years, it brings back happy memories as well as noisy capacitors.

Thanks for the post.

Picked up one of these bran new in the box. Due to it's age will probably do a complete re-cap of unit. One thing nice is in the accessories box there are a couple of spare speaker plugs for the type that Pioneer was using for a short while.

Attachments

• QX-8000 NIB.jpg
    QX-8000 NIB.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 308
Reactions: GOS
Fantastic Pioneer Gear.
I can recall as a lad in London, Tottenham Court Road there was a Laskys HiFi Store. 2 Floors . It had a Complete Quad Sony Turntable , Amp and 4 Speakers
I wanted to buy it , but did not have over 100 pounds on me. It was on display as you walked through the door. 1974 I think.

Fantastic Pioneer Gear.
I can recall as a lad in London, Tottenham Court Road there was a Laskys HiFi Store. 2 Floors .
Ah, yes, Lasky's in TCR - I spent many happy hours in there as a teenager (don't think I ever bought much in there though!). Amazingly, this small, grainy B/W pic is the the only photo of that flagship store I could find:
Laskys.jpg

They were also massive mail order retailers back in the day - all the big HiFi mags carried their multi-page adverts, which were like mini HiFi catalogues in their own right and were required reading every month for any HiFi nut! The stores lost their way and went into rapid decline as they tried to cash in on the burgeoning home PC and games business. The final days of the TCR store were very sad - the former palace of HiFi had become very tatty and had boxes of Fax machines piled high at knock down prices. After it closed that store was turned into a bank and the whole site has since been redeveloped - but no longer holds any charm!

Last edited:
Back