RCVR: Sansui QRX-6001 Quadraphonic Receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrockasaurus

If you have any more photo's or comments to make on this Quadraphonic unit please feel free to post them in this thread....:)

Sansui QRX-6001 Quadraphonic Receiver

Rarity: UNCOMMON
Average Sale Price: $200.00
At a recent (2011) auction in New Zealand a 6001 was unsold at $160NZ and did not reach the reserve.
One in the USA sold for $199.95US in Feb 2011.

I paid $350AU (Australia) for my QRX-6001 in 2007, which to me seems about right for this unit.

Photo's are of my unit.
Sansui QRX-6001 Front AB.jpg

Sansui QRX-6001 Front side A.jpg

Sansui QRX-6001 Front side B.jpg

Sansui QRX-6001 Front side C.jpg

Sansui QRX-6001 Back 2.jpg

Sansui QRX-6001 Back 1.jpg

Basic Facts:

Introduced : Late 1974
Power Output : 4 x 25Watts Per Channel RMS into 8 Ohms.
Decoders : CD4 / SQ / QS / QS Synth Hall / QS Synth Surround
Connections : Quad Aux x 1 / Quad Tape Loops x 2 / Phono

The identical looking next model up (QRX-7001) adds High & Low Filter switches to the front panel and 10 more Watts Per Channel to the Power output. The Euro version of the QRX-7001 - the QRX-777 was slightly restyled with a black background instead of silver just under the tuning dial.

I'm not sure if there was a similar Euro restyled version of the QRX-6001.

Sansui QRX-6001 Front AA.jpg

Last edited:
Which Vario-Matrix decoder does this unit have? Type-A or Type-B? I have a QRX-6500 and absolutely HATE the Type-B Vario-Matrix - it's been aligned and everything but just has too low of Lf-Lb/Rf-Rb separation for my tastes.

One thing I wish companies would have included in their big quad receivers like this is an 4/2 ENCODER - since they had the phase shifters already in them for decoding, giving them the ability to encode from discrete inputs should have been no big deal. But as far as I'm aware, not a single company did that.

Which Vario-Matrix decoder does this unit have? Type-A or Type-B? I have a QRX-6500 and absolutely HATE the Type-B Vario-Matrix - it's been aligned and everything but just has too low of Lf-Lb/Rf-Rb separation for my tastes.

One thing I wish companies would have included in their big quad receivers like this is an 4/2 ENCODER - since they had the phase shifters already in them for decoding, giving them the ability to encode from discrete inputs should have been no big deal. But as far as I'm aware, not a single company did that.

I can't answer the question of what "type or version" of the decoder is in the 6001, and I'm not very good with all the technical stuff...but I know that from what I've read, all the models in this last Quad Sansui range (QRX-6001/7001/8001/9001) had the last (..best) versions of the Vario-Matrix in a receiver (..I believe the same decoder in all) and the quad decoding in my QRX-6001 is clearly superior to my QRX-6500, if not better in absolute sound quality.

Maybe you need to remove the "blend" resistors to increase the separation..?? They were added to fill out/spread out the quad soundfield, and removing them I've read gives a more discrete separation of the signal....don't know too much more than that, however, there might be a thread with more info on this somewhere on QQ.

Last edited:
The best version of Vario-Matrix is Type-A, which has full side-to-side and front-to-back separation. Type-B has full side-to-side but limited front-to-back. Type-B was available in consumer equipment first - the model QRX-6500 receivers we both own, to be exact. All the IC based Vario-Matrix decoders are better than the discrete component Type-B version in the QRX-6500. I DO like the 'smoothness' of the sound in the QRX-6500 - it's so smooth and wet sounding - not obviously non-flat or rolled off in the treble, just 'smooth'.

The blend resistors have been removed from my 6500 - Sansui used them for many reasons - mostly to suppress artifacts of the logic steering. They just tried to keep it a big secret and no model had the same blend as another model... I think they should have incorporated a variable - consumer controlled - blend function. Then you could trade off logic artifacts VS separation, etc... Not that it isn't easy to add, it just should have been part of the designs of Vario-Matrix from the get-go.

Here's my 6001. Not set up yet though. But had to have it for the price of 160. Now I have a complete set : 5001,6001,7001, two 8001's and my 9001 which is getting refurbished as it type (or is it keyboard ?)PART_1475589434559_IMG_20161004_065618.jpg Yeah that is one of my 8001's on the bottom. I'm sick . I need rehab

I know it's been awhile since this thread has been replied, but I cant seem to find results from searching and I know someone on here would know the answer: does the 6001 preout rear channels while in matrix mode? If not, does the 7001-9001?

I know it's been awhile since this thread has been replied, but I cant seem to find results from searching and I know someone on here would know the answer: does the 6001 preout rear channels while in matrix mode? If not, does the 7001-9001?

I'm thinking no, but only guessing; someone here with a lot more experience with these like @rawmacias should know?
If nobody chimes in soon I'll check out the DLed manual I have for the 9001 (I use it for my 8001) and try to get to this.
*(maybe take a Bose radio or other little device, plug into fronts and then rears to check it- but be careful ;) :eek:)

I couldn't find it in the manual for the 6001, ive been thinking of buying a refurbished 6001 and (this sounds ridiculous) possibly connecting it to my kenwood 9940 as a decoder improvement and to be able to view matrix sources in quad mode on my heathkit ad1013 if the 6001 did output rear channels

I couldn't find it in the manual for the 6001, ive been thinking of buying a refurbished 6001 and (this sounds ridiculous) possibly connecting it to my kenwood 9940 as a decoder improvement and to be able to view matrix sources in quad mode on my heathkit ad1013 if the 6001 did output rear channels

I had a 6001 and a 7001 at one time. In order to get QS decoded output for the rear I needed to use the headphone output. Tape out did not give decoded output for rears. No preout on the 6001/7001.

Last edited:
If you want decoder improvement, consider the Involve Audio Surround Master decoder or at least better quality outboard decoders. While I like Sansui gear, you are losing the main benefit, the sound of Sansui if you are only using it for a decoder. Most receivers has less than perfect built in decoders. The Sansui will be better for QS than the Kenwood and has decent CD4 if it is as good as my 7001. Both pretty much suck at SQ though compared to an old SQD2020, SQ-w, Fosgate Tate or better an Involve. Buying one receiver to patch into another receiver just seems wasteful of not only your money but of the possible upgrades you could have for the same money and your time. I do not know how much the restored 6001 would cost you but check out the Involve unit first. Everyone who has one speaks highly of it and I plan on getting one when my budget improves. It would be much smaller than another monster receiver too!

If you want decoder improvement, consider the Involve Audio Surround Master decoder or at least better quality outboard decoders. While I like Sansui gear, you are losing the main benefit, the sound of Sansui if you are only using it for a decoder. Most receivers has less than perfect built in decoders. The Sansui will be better for QS than the Kenwood and has decent CD4 if it is as good as my 7001. Both pretty much suck at SQ though compared to an old SQD2020, SQ-w, Fosgate Tate or better an Involve. Buying one receiver to patch into another receiver just seems wasteful of not only your money but of the possible upgrades you could have for the same money and your time. I do not know how much the restored 6001 would cost you but check out the Involve unit first. Everyone who has one speaks highly of it and I plan on getting one when my budget improves. It would be much smaller than another monster receiver too!

My old ears whole heartedly agree with CV-refer to my post here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...the-surround-master.20908/page-15#post-442808

Back