RCVR: Sylvania RQ-4748

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyg2181

Ahh... The Big Bad-Ass TOTL Receiver from Sylvania.

Sylvania RQ-4748

Rarity: SCARCE

Average Sale Price: UNKNOWN

FRONT
attachment.php

INSIDES
attachment.php

The Following Information Is From The Vintage Sylvania website.

Description:
The RQ-4748 is an updated version of the RQ-3748 which was released in 1973 and is the top of the line model for the RQ-4700 series of receivers.
Changes include an internal CD-4 De-modulator, removal of the Aux Input for a CD-4 Phono Input, and a red indicator overlay.

This model saw an introduction in Germany as the Saba 8280 Quadro in 1975. It was only sold briefly for the 1975 model year and possibly in early 1976 as well. At the time Saba was a subsidiary of GTE Inc.

Features:
Stereo Bridge Mode
Dimable tuner lights (High/Low)
Independent balance controls for each channel
Selectable Image Orientation
4 Channel modes supported internally include Discrete, SQ Matrix, SQ Blend, and CD-4

Jackplate:
Supports two sets of four speakers while in 4 Channel mode or two sets of two speakers while in Stereo Bridge mode
Two 4 Channel Discrete Tape Monitors
Magnetic Phono Input
CD-4 Phono Input

Specifications
MSRP:
Unknown
Production Years:
1975 to Unknown
Finish:
Walnut Veneer
Dimensions (WxHxD):
21.38x6.78x15 inches
Weight:
39 pounds

Channels: 4; 2 Channel Bridge Mode
Power Output: 50 watts per channel RMS; 125 watts per channel RMS Bridged
Load Impedance: 8 ohms
Frequency Response: 20-20,000Hz
Total Harmonic Distortion: less than 0.5%
Intermodulation Distortion: less than 0.5%
Damping Factor: Unknown

Sensitivity: 1.9uV IHF
50dB Quieting Sensitivity: Unknown
Selectivity: Unknown
Capture Ratio: Unknown
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: Unknown
Total Harmonic Distortion: Unknown
Stereo Separation: Unknown

Sensitivity: Unknown

This is "Technically" my "First" Quad Receiver. these are not my pictures, otherwise there would be rear pics and close ups. The reason i dont consider this my first Quad receiver, is the fact that i never used it (well I really can't say its not my first receiver, I mean, it was the first one I ever saw or owned so I guess I just contradicted myself, that'd be like your dad saying he f***ed your mom, you can't really argue with that). i never even plugged it in and saw it lit up :( now, why you may ask? i found this receiver on the curb on Goldenridge Drive in Levittown, right down the street. it was in really bad shape and the plug was missing, and the top and bottom were rusted, as were the jacks on the back. one of the wood sides are rotting away. its in the old storage shed at my dads in levittown right now, and thats probably where it will stay. i kept it because it looked cool, and 6 years ago, i was 14 and didnt even know what a quad receiver was. at that point i was using a Magnavox AF/FM/8-Track Recorder with a PS1 as a CD Player, and a turntable... The Magnavox sounded really good, and it was LOUD.... real nice looking all black face with silver pushbuttons, and 4 slider controld for volume balance bass and treble. by far the best AM/FM/8 Track ever made... tied with the Panasonic RA-6600.

I would upload pics (and still would if you guys wanted them) of mine, but its in terrible condition. and its a sin how its been treated (on my part as well, for not saving it 6 years ago when i probably could have) but its way too late now. 6 years in a cold and damp shed made it even worse. it was recently moved to the nicer shed to prevent it from getting even more destroyed... i moved it when i got into quad because when i got into the idea, i remembered this old receiver, i dug it out and remembered how bad it was.

On the positive note, ive read it has loads of power and sounds beautiful.... like i read, Sylvania made anything from light bulbs, to Missiles for the U.S. Government... so when they decided to make a HIGH-END Quad Receiver, it must have been pretty damn good.

Back