Reality Technologies Surround Master - Owners Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I didn't study very hard in school, but you are saying that normal 2 channel stereo recordings will go into the L and R inputs and come out in a fake surround sound. Any 4 channel original recording that is sourced will need the switch flipped over to the 4 channel setting and the SM will decode it and send out its own version of 4.0 or 5.1?

I am really interested in just taking all my stereo recordings (800 Lp's, cassettes, CD's) and getting a fake quad surround sound. Everything else would be SACD , DVD-Audio, discreet multi-channel recordings that I would run from a Universal Player into my preamp processor and be completely separated from the SM unit. So I would just need the standard unit? I don't have but 3 or 4 SQ recordings and I don't have a 4 channel cartridge which would also be needed right?

So the QQ version won't do anything with a Stereo recording?
There's always one person who never quite gets it.....thats been me my whole life, must have been bad DNA)..lol

Thanks for the extra help, I am close to ordering.
For all stereo Or SQ or QS EV4 or UHJ recordings all you need is a good stereo Cartridge
You only need a special cartridge for CD4 LPs
If you want to turn stereo into Stereo Surround (fake Quad)
Just switch the unit on to Involve 2 channels in and 4 or 5 out
I play all stereo through it Radio FM Digital LPs CDs Computer
Depending on the mix great to so so you will not be sorry
By the way I have the turntable on your avatar
Ron

For all stereo Or SQ or QS EV4 or UHJ recordings all you need is a good stereo Cartridge
Ron

Thanks Ron for the reply. FIRST....I have a DDX-1000 with one tonearm, a MA-707. I sold a guy a receiver last week and he looked over, saw the TT and asked several questions about it, then said," let me know when you want to sell it"

Sounds like I just need the "without SQ" model then? But I just went to the order page and says Out Of Stock. :mad:

Thanks Ron for the reply. FIRST....I have a DDX-1000 with one tonearm, a MA-707. I sold a guy a receiver last week and he looked over, saw the TT and asked several questions about it, then said," let me know when you want to sell it"

Sounds like I just need the "without SQ" model then? But I just went to the order page and says Out Of Stock. :mad:
Yes you don,t need the SQ model but if they have a runout model with SQ
You said that you have a couple SQ LPs then you will have the best Decoder to play them with
and there a few more SQ LPs about
Also I have played Stereo through SQ and in some LPs it is not to bad
You can look up my stuff on (Show us your gear) Rustyandi
That meant My dog Rusty and me
Ron

Ron
I play all my stereo stuff through it too, it has made the various DSPs on my amplifier redundant.

Yup, all versions of the current SM seem to have sold out but the good news is that the guys at Involve Audio are working as we speak on a new and improved version which looks as it should be available early in the new year. You can follow its development in this thread :

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...mp-to-the-left-and-a-step-to-the-right.25170/

It should do everything you want (and more!)

Hi All

Thanks guys for some great correct answers. I think the SQ enabled version of the existing SM would be the best as hobie1dog has not expressed an interest in 2 channel virtual surround. Pity is as RustyandI says - we are out of stock.

Hoby1 dog - may I suggest you email Dave on - [email protected] and ask him can he find any last "shop soiled - not so good cased versions ant a discount price. You may get lucky, really not sure.

I hope for a production start of the new SM in January

Regards

Chucky

Hi All
I think the SQ enabled version of the existing SM would be the best as hobie1dog has not expressed an interest in 2 channel virtual surround.
y

That's the only thing that I want it for, just to make my stereo lp's, cassettes, and cd's into virtual surround.

What are going to be the features of the new model, or will I even be interested since I just want to make 2 channel sources into surround?

I guess it will be more money as well?

Last edited:
That's the only thing that I want it for, just to make my stereo lp's, cassettes, and cd's into virtual surround.

What are going to be the features of the new model, or will I even be interested since I just want to make 2 channel sources into surround?

I guess it will be more money as well?

Yes the new one is a bit more expensive. OK if I understand you correct - you want 2 channel stereo in and 2 channel virtual surround out. In which case the standard old SM will be the cheapest option....try contacting Dave and see if he can scavenge up a reasonable case.

Regards

Yes the new one is a bit more expensive. OK if I understand you correct - you want 2 channel stereo in and 2 channel virtual surround out. In which case the standard old SM will be the cheapest option....try contacting Dave and see if he can scavenge up a reasonable case.

Regards

I want 2 in and 5.1 out to my receiver.

I sent Dave an email

Last edited:
Sorry to cause confusion, but just want the best surround processor for all my 2 channel sources. I wish everything could have all been available in discrete 4 channel reel to reel through years. I have only heard 3 or 4 multichannel SACD Discs so far (DSOTM, Chick Corea-Musicmagic) and that was audio heaven. I can never be satisfied ever again with 2 channel .

Sorry to cause confusion, but just want the best surround processor for all my 2 channel sources. I wish everything could have all been available in discrete 4 channel reel to reel through years. I have only heard 3 or 4 multichannel SACD Discs so far (DSOTM, Chick Corea-Musicmagic) and that was audio heaven. I can never be satisfied ever again with 2 channel .

Like you I have not played Stereo since I first had the Sansui QS1 about 1971 Then later the QSD1
Then the Involve decoding

Like you I have not played Stereo since I first had the Sansui QS1 about 1971 Then later the QSD1
Then the Involve decoding
I know the Dynaco quad Adapter reversed the phase of the back 2 speakers. I mistakenly reversed my speaker wires years ago in my rear channels and was quite happy with the result, but my son chastised me and I corrected it. Playing in bands most of my life, I was accustomed to having the musicians all around me. I've always wanted to go to a Drum & Bugle Corp Show and sit in the middle of the big circle they form when they are warming up. Talk about crap loads of high SPL of 360 degree sound.:SG

I know the Dynaco quad Adapter reversed the phase of the back 2 speakers. I mistakenly reversed my speaker wires years ago in my rear channels and was quite happy with the result, but my son chastised me and I corrected it. Playing in bands most of my life, I was accustomed to having the musicians all around me. I've always wanted to go to a Drum & Bugle Corp Show and sit in the middle of the big circle they form when they are warming up. Talk about crap loads of high SPL of 360 degree sound.:SG
I played in a rock band many years ago so I understand what you mean
A Bass player in those days the worst guitar player played Bass
My first Concert (Bill Hally and the Comets

My first use of the SM with SQ (2nd version). First I played some QS in Involve/QS mode. S Dan CBAT sounded fantastic in quad mode. Stereo through Involve/QS, ELO Out of the Blue in quad mode, again fantastic.

Then Chicago IX Greatest hits in SQ mode. Where did the bass go? This is my first decoding of SQ at home, does SQ always sound thin? There seemed to be a little random channel bouncing like the instruments didn't stay where they were supposed to, also. If this was SQ back in the day, I cant't see how it could compete with QS unless people wanted the AM sound. Maybe it is the source mix but I tried a Pioneer SQ demo record and it was thin too, I will try others as I run across them. Adding the sub to this SQ decode made it quite listenable, but with some level fussing between songs. I've had the SM for years now and never critically listened to SQ, is something wrong with the unit or do they all sound like the bass is sucked out in SQ mode? Examples of Tate SQ decodes I've heard sounded fine, did people just EQ them or is there a huge difference in bass response between that and the SM? I'm going to get a Geo-Disc and check alignment, maybe there is something about that affecting only SQ and not QS.

Then, having been accustomed to the sub, I went back to the previous records in QS, no need at all for the sub there, turned it off. Using two 15" full range in front and two 12" full range in back. Beautiful. Electric Ladyland was next in Invlolve/QS, an other-worldly experience.

Regards

Dave said he could put together a SQ model for 399.00 , as long as that model does conventional stereo to fake quad I guess that is my only option. Makes me wonder how many people will be selling their current models for 200.00 when they replace them with the new model?

So now I still need to know what the price of the new models is going to be, and what features it is going to have, to help make a decision on wether to get the old or wait for the new model.

My first use of the SM with SQ (2nd version). First I played some QS in Involve/QS mode. S Dan CBAT sounded fantastic in quad mode. Stereo through Involve/QS, ELO Out of the Blue in quad mode, again fantastic.

Then Chicago IX Greatest hits in SQ mode. Where did the bass go? This is my first decoding of SQ at home, does SQ always sound thin? There seemed to be a little random channel bouncing like the instruments didn't stay where they were supposed to, also. If this was SQ back in the day, I cant't see how it could compete with QS unless people wanted the AM sound. Maybe it is the source mix but I tried a Pioneer SQ demo record and it was thin too, I will try others as I run across them. Adding the sub to this SQ decode made it quite listenable, but with some level fussing between songs. I've had the SM for years now and never critically listened to SQ, is something wrong with the unit or do they all sound like the bass is sucked out in SQ mode? Examples of Tate SQ decodes I've heard sounded fine, did people just EQ them or is there a huge difference in bass response between that and the SM? I'm going to get a Geo-Disc and check alignment, maybe there is something about that affecting only SQ and not QS.

Then, having been accustomed to the sub, I went back to the previous records in QS, no need at all for the sub there, turned it off. Using two 15" full range in front and two 12" full range in back. Beautiful. Electric Ladyland was next in Invlolve/QS, an other-worldly experience.

Hi Quadsearcher

This is really news to me, it should be completely flat. Can you get a test CD or oscillator and do an in/ out Voltage measurement. Otherwise I am happy to take it back and check it out.

Regards

Chucky

Out of interest Quadsearcher, do the SQ records sound bass light if you play them back via the SM in Involve/QS mode (or indeed if you bypass the SM and play them in straight stereo)?

Last edited:
Dave said he could put together a SQ model for 399.00 , as long as that model does conventional stereo to fake quad I guess that is my only option. Makes me wonder how many people will be selling their current models for 200.00 when they replace them with the new model?

So now I still need to know what the price of the new models is going to be, and what features it is going to have, to help make a decision on wether to get the old or wait for the new model.

Edited my post, thanks.

Last edited:
Back