Rear/surround speakers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrat

what are you using? ever done a ridiculous upgrade? did it make a difference?
My mains are Martin Logan Vantage, my rears are def tech pro 80 . thinking about making a change but its a LOT of work as they are ceiling mounted with brackets I would have to change the brackets to support anything heavier , so new brackets attic crawl and new holes in ceiling ( not doing in ceiling ),, talk me into or out of

About 4 years ago I added two new floor standing speakers to my 5.1 (going to 7.1). It made a huge difference having full range sides from my original sides listening to quad and 5.1 mixes. 7.1 is nice too for movies since many have 7.1 mixes.

That system originally had sides/rears mounted on the back wall. The new floor standing speakers needed cables run under my (ground) floor. I paid my daughter‘s school friend to crawl under the floor space and pull the cables through, it was a breeze for him but I doubt I could have done it myself.

Of course, now Atmos exists there’s now more music with 7.1 mixes. (BTW: I now have a 7.2.4 system for Atmos)

I ran the ceiling cables for the 4 x Atmos heights myself by pushing and electricians plastic cable rode through the speaker cutouts (then pulling the cables) through to an external wall then pulling out though a hole on the wall, then down the outside in a plastic duct, back into the room behind my equip rack.

Needless to say, Atmos is a step up from 7.1.

I also ran my own 5.1 cables in my living area (2nd system) and knocked holes in gyprock to feed cables through. It’s pretty cheap to get the gyprock repaired although you need to repaint the entire wall to hide completely.

About 4 years ago I added two new floor standing speakers to my 5.1 (going to 7.1). It made a huge difference having full range sides from my original sides listening to quad and 5.1 mixes. 7.1 is nice too for movies since many have 7.1 mixes.

That system originally had sides/rears mounted on the back wall. The new floor standing speakers needed cables run under my (ground) floor. I paid my daughter‘s school friend to crawl under the floor space and pull the cables through, it was a breeze for him but I doubt I could have done it myself.

Of course, now Atmos exists there’s now more music with 7.1 mixes. (BTW: I now have a 7.2.4 system for Atmos)

I ran the ceiling cables for the 4 x Atmos heights myself by pushing and electricians plastic cable rode through the speaker cutouts (then pulling the cables) through to an external wall then pulling out though a hole on the wall, then down the outside in a plastic duct, back into the room behind my equip rack.

Needless to say, Atmos is a step up from 7.1.

I also ran my own 5.1 cables in my living area (2nd system) and knocked holes in gyprock to feed cables through. It’s pretty cheap to get the gyprock repaired although you need to repaint the entire wall to hide completely.

Already have atmos up firing modules that was easy

My mains are Martin Logan Vantage, my rears are def tech pro 80 . thinking about making a change but its a LOT of work as they are ceiling mounted with brackets I would have to change the brackets to support anything heavier , so new brackets attic crawl and new holes in ceiling ( not doing in ceiling ),, talk me into or out of

I went from small speakers and a couch on the back wall to large 3 ways and a couch in the middle of the room. Wasn't even close. Everything sounds better including mixes I didn't origionally care for. Now all the channels are full range and every speaker has room to breath and contribute to a believable soundstage, front and back. If surround sound is most important, like if you have a dedicated 2 channel system, my belief is you put the larger more full range speakers in the rears and smaller speakers in the front, although I feel lucky I don't have to make that decision with the setup I have now. Of course if you listen to a lot of stereo recordings on the same rig as multichannel stuff, placing the larger speakers in the rear of the listening room will be a concession that most people will not make. Experimenting, and trusting your own ears trumps everything.

That has to be quite a difference in sonic perspective going from front to back. Ideally you would want identical loudspeakers in all positions, but we seldom get do do what is ideal. Does M-L make any type of wall mounted electrostatic? I think there are also magneplanars made for wall mounting for the rears. The next best thing may be small bookshelf speakers with ribbon tweeters.

That has to be quite a difference in sonic perspective going from front to back. Ideally you would want identical loudspeakers in all positions, but we seldom get do do what is ideal. Does M-L make any type of wall mounted electrostatic? I think there are also magneplanars made for wall mounting for the rears. The next best thing may be small bookshelf speakers with ribbon tweeters.
Its actually not as jarring as you might think due to room correction software which begs the question why bother then

Back