Reavon Blu-ray DVD-Audio SACD player coming out in Europe.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am unaware! I only have a handful of DVD-As and only OPPOs :)

You have to remember, implementation of MLP DVD~A was only introduced in the late 90's so all DVD players manufactured prior to that date were bare basic players and even after the introduction of MLP DVD~A manufacturers continued to manufacture DVD players without hi res playback ..... which is why all those early MLP DVD~A discs contained DTS/DD 5.1 for 'backward compatibility!'

So in light of the above, can we conclude then that a modern day audiophile claimed Universal player such as advertised by Reavon will very likely be DVD-A MLP compatible? I mean how many modern DVD-A players don't support MLP?

AND, can a DVD-Video only player play DVD-Audio with DTS/DD 5.1 encoding?

So in light of the above, can we conclude then that a modern day audiophile claimed Universal player such as advertised by Reavon will very likely be DVD-A MLP compatible? I mean how many modern DVD-A players don't support MLP?

AND, can a DVD-Video only player play DVD-Audio with DTS/DD 5.1 encoding?
There are very very few new players, universal or otherwise, that play DVD audio (MLP). Its a dead format at this point in time.

Yeah those pictures are a case study on why Oppo went out of business.

The Oppo certainly looks quite bespoke but it's entirely possible the Reavon internals are simply more efficient and off-the-shelf, and in the world of electronics "more bigger stuff inside" != better performance, so measurements would be in order to see if there's a performance gap, or just an aesthetics gap.

Regardless, Reavon is overpricing these things IMO.
Oppo didn’t go out of business. It chose to get out of the business...likely because it felt the viability of the quality physical disc player market was dubious.

It’s not the only one.

Then I'm ignorantly pleased I didn't invest in the format.

In the last few months, three DVD~Audio discs were released into the wilds ....... including Mr. Afternoon's wonderful "The Golden Bonana" in MLP DVD~A 5.1.
And of course one of the golden treasures available only on MLP DVD~A 5.1 [and NOT SACD] is the Beatles LOVE album ..... 81 minutes of glorious 5.1 Surround in astounding discrete fidelity!

How are you ripping? DVD-Audio extractor is basically the only way. There are several options for the format of the resulting files.

I use dvd-audio extractor but it seems to split the tracks up and put them in the wrong order, maybe it’s just the couple i’ve tried, if I try to do the hi-res stereo it seems okay

Back