Reavon Blu-ray DVD-Audio SACD player coming out in Europe.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to the digital scene, so please go easy on me. Have you ever owned an Oppo player? If so, how does the DAC in the Reavon 200 compare to the one in the Oppo? :unsure:
Regardless of what others may say, dont trade your 105 for anything new. It has a very capable DAC and also has SACD rip capability. This is important if you are going the digital route. I guarantee, once you make that leap, that capability will be very important to you.

How so? You are saying you can hear a difference in the digital stream via HDMI?
I was shocked that I could hear a difference between a Sony 800 and my OPPO 205 using HDMI into my Denon 4400 AVR. I mean, SHOCKED! I would never have thought it was possible. Anyway, ended up returning the Sony player that I thought I would be using as a transport on the living room (Home Theater) system. I ended up digging out my OPPO 93.

I was shocked that I could hear a difference between a Sony 800 and my OPPO 205 using HDMI into my Denon 4400 AVR. I mean, SHOCKED! I would never have thought it was possible. Anyway, ended up returning the Sony player that I thought I would be using as a transport on the living room (Home Theater) system. I ended up digging out my OPPO 93.

Well, Perp, a MUCH beefier power supply, better disc transport system and better overall internal wiring, etc. in the 22 pound OPPO 205 would, it seems, indeed smoke the Sony 800 in a side by side comparison. And the SONY is roughly [at retail] 1/3 the cost of the 205.

Well, Perp, a MUCH beefier power supply, better disc transport system and better overall internal wiring, etc. in the 22 pound OPPO 205 would, it seems, indeed smoke the Sony 800 in a side by side comparison. And the SONY is roughly [at retail] 1/3 the cost of the 205.
This should not matter when used as a transport only. Apparently, something does. And, I used the same exact HDMI cable. Plus, the HDMI-1 output. Not, HDMI-2 that claims an improvement in jitter reduction.

By the way, I always disliked the 105. Overly bright. Sold two players.

This should not matter when used as a transport only. Apparently, something does. And, I used the same exact HDMI cable. Plus, the HDMI-1 output. Not, HDMI-2 that claims an improvement in jitter reduction.

By the way, I always disliked the 105. Overly bright. Sold two players.

The OPPO 205 is a MUCH MORE robust unit than the Sony X800. I have both. And I disagree that the power supply and transport have little to do when even outputting HDMI to source. I found the SONY problematic on many different levels like FREEZE UPs especially with UHD4K discs. I'm keeping the 800 as a back up but put little faith it it as a MAIN Universal player in a high end system.

Actually, I think you answered your own question as to why when you compared the HDMI output from both units.....The 205 WAS BETTER!

My experience too comparing the HDMI out on my Sony 800M2 vs Cambridge CXU. Same cable , same DAC input.
Noticeable difference. The CXU better though depending on the recording sometimes the 800M2 sound was beneficial

And that affects the sound output over HDMI how exactly?
Yes please leave the snake oil on the shelf. How does the power supply figure in? I dont have either model. But over the years I have tried a lot of digital components. and i cant even tell them apart when I am comparing the DACs let alone without them. For those who hear a difference, please explain how the 1s and 0s coming over the HDMI port somehow get corrupted.

Don’t need to and can’t explain how it’s different. Doesn’t make sense to me either.
But others have heard my humble system and agree.

The OPPO 205 is a MUCH MORE robust unit than the Sony X800. I have both. And I disagree that the power supply and transport have little to do when even outputting HDMI to source. I found the SONY problematic on many different levels like FREEZE UPs especially with UHD4K discs. I'm keeping the 800 as a back up but put little faith it it as a MAIN Universal player in a high end system.

Actually, I think you answered your own question as to why when you compared the HDMI output from both units.....The 205 WAS BETTER!
Yes please leave the snake oil on the shelf. How does the power supply figure in? I dont have either model. But over the years I have tried a lot of digital components. and i cant even tell them apart when I am comparing the DACs let alone without them. For those who hear a difference, please explain how the 1s and 0s coming over the HDMI port somehow get corrupted.

I wonder if playing files from a USB drive and outputting through the HDMI ports of these two players would reveal any differences. It would seem to me that there might be more detectable differences playing physical discs and outputting via HDMI because of variations in error correction or whatever. (@Goona : Do as I say, not as I do.) 🤣🤣🤣

Don’t need to and can’t explain how it’s different. Doesn’t make sense to me either.
But others have heard my humble system and agree.
And this is via some kind of reasonably executed A/B comparison where you had instant access to both machines, identical discs and could directly compare them

I wonder if playing files from a USB drive and outputting through the HDMI ports of these two players would reveal any differences. It would seem to me that there might be more detectable differences playing physical discs and outputting via HDMI because of variations in error correction or whatever. (@Goona : Do as I say, not as I do.) 🤣🤣🤣
Something like that may well offer an explanation, but a better power supply isnt at the root of it. Did you believers use discs or USB to come to your conclusions?

Where is @Scully and @himey when you need them?

Something like that may well offer an explanation, but a better power supply isnt at the root of it. Did you believers use discs or USB to come to your conclusions?

Where is @Scully and @himey when you need them?

The small 'footprint' Sony X800 series of Universal Players, IMO, are great entry level players at a very affordable price [heavily discounted, as well] but compared to the OPPO 205 which, IMO, was by far the BEST Universal Player on the market, pales in comparison on many levels. Think of it as OPPO's last hurrah ..... going out with the proverbial BANG!

There was much thought in its creation. And I do FIRMLY believe its carefully selected parts and robust construction, disc transport system and yes, power supply all contribute to its stunning performance.

Since I have NO knowledge of outputting USB to an external DAC from either player, I cannot answer your querie, AR, but when playing physical discs, you can all bet your 'bippy' that quality parts and yeoman~like workmanship in ANY player and ANY component contribute to its ultimate sonic quality. And THAT IS A GIVEN!

Back