Reavon UHD Blu-ray Player Review

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reviewer states: "As for the player's analog multi- channel outputs, I generally feel that this feature on a player isn't necessary given the quality of audio components on the market today that use HDMI connections. Also, most mid- to high-end A/V receivers and processors use good-quality DACs, and they also provide far greater flexibility for fine-tuning trim levels, crossover points, time alignment, and other audio-specific settings."

Remarkably, since I inserted a Marantz SR7013 into the audio signal chain, I use its DACs along with Audyssey room correction exclusively (using the Audyssey app - very important.) I still like having the 7.1 analog outputs on the Oppo 205, but I rarely use them anymore.

He also says, "Granted, it's been years since we've seen any new DVD-Audio disc releases, so I'm not sure how important that omission is in the grand scheme for most users..." Apparently, he needs to be educated regarding the recent endeavor of our colleague, @Mr. Afternoon .

Nice review!

He also says, "Granted, it's been years since we've seen any new DVD-Audio disc releases, so I'm not sure how important that omission is in the grand scheme for most users..." Apparently, he needs to be educated regarding the recent endeavor of our colleague, @Mr. Afternoon .
I mean, he's kinda right, even I'm straying away from it, but it's not hard to implement functionality for it. :rolleyes:

the current going rate on Oppo 105D is around $1000 plus or minus. I would rather have one of those than the $1700 Reavon.
But I am glad someone has come out with a player with analog outs.

What a joke for the Reavon UBR-X100 having no DVD-A or SACD at that price. I am sure most of us have always purchased Oppo's as they are the highest quality and best price...Reavon...what a joke

Yes, I was shocked to see that the X100 has no DVD-A and no SACD. That seems like a big mistake. Because without stereo XLR outputs and no 7.1 analog outputs, what does it have going for it to warrant paying $800 vs $300 for something like a Sony X800M2?

The Reavon X200...well that's another matter since it has the stereo XLR outputs and the 7.1 analogs.

Just announced...seems to be available now but website not working...THE player we have all been asking for as far as total universality...hopefully price stays at the $1000 range...

mail
REAVON UNIVERSAL 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY PLAYER
UBR-X110
4K UHD DOLBY VISION SACD BLU-RAY PLAYER
mail

mail

Now available
The new Reavon UBR-X110 is now available.This universal disc player has been elaborately engineered for the ideal disc playback. The UBR-X110 features extremely rigid construction to achieve high S/N ratio for quality audio and video performance. With support for the spectacular Ultra HD Blu-ray™ format, you can enjoy the beautiful experience with four times the resolution of 1080p Full HD. The UBR-X110 is compatible with the latest Dolby Vision® format that provides a stunning HDR imaging technology with extraordinary color, contrast, and brightness to the screen. Other features include SDR/HDR Preset Mode, DVD-Audio, SACD/DSD compatibility and dual HDMI output terminals.

It’s not “the” player if it doesn’t have analog outs IMHO. And the half empty interior worries me
For most people, this player will suffice since there are no ore Oppos and aftermarket Oppo $$$$$ is excessive. Analog outs are very 2005 :ROFLMAO: But they can serve a purpose, so a nice to have but not a need to have IMO.

For most people, this player will suffice since there are no ore Oppos and aftermarket Oppo $$$$$ is excessive. Analog outs are very 2005 :ROFLMAO: But they can serve a purpose, so a nice to have but not a need to have IMO.

This machine seems somewhat pricey for an "all digital" offering. As I mentioned in post #4, I'm now totally in favor of using HDMI with room correction; but while I can dispense with multi-channel analog outputs, I still like:

- Stereo analog outputs to feed the Surround Master or other outboard decoder
- Stereo XLR outputs for the cleanest, direct stereo signal when I occasionally fall-off-the-wagon back into "purist mode"
- A second USB port on the back would be helpful for those of us who use multiple drives

But the biggest question in my mind is if it will play FLAC 4.0 and DSF 4.0 without losing audio...and then needing to go into Audacity to gin up phony channels. The specs say that it will play FLAC 5.1 and DSF 5.1.

I guess everyone will have to perform their own due diligence. Oppo has certainly spoiled me.

This machine seems somewhat pricey for an "all digital" offering. As I mentioned in post #4, I'm now totally in favor of using HDMI with room correction; but while I can dispense with multi-channel analog outputs, I still like:

- Stereo analog outputs to feed the Surround Master or other outboard decoder
- Stereo XLR outputs for the cleanest, direct stereo signal when I occasionally fall-off-the-wagon back into "purist mode"
- A second USB port on the back would be helpful for those of us who use multiple drives

But the biggest question in my mind is if it will play FLAC 4.0 and DSF 4.0 without losing audio...and then needing to go into Audacity to gin up phony channels. The specs say that it will play FLAC 5.1 and DSF 5.1.

I guess everyone will have to perform their own due diligence. Oppo has certainly spoiled me.

Totally agree with your assessment here. Some folks need analog outs, this machine is not for them. It makes me think of when I used to sell and be a manager of a sales force for major appliances in retail. It took all of us time to evolve and get used to machines that were changing from being all analog with the settings, timers, coils, etc., to the machines where you press buttons, spin dials and make selections digitally. The appliances still cost the same, but under the hood its half empty with just a bunch of microchips.

Oppo has spoiled me too! I hope Reavon's price comes down a little as time goes on. But with little to no competition, they can dictate higher, premium pricing.

For me I'm not looking for stereo analog RCA or XLR's or multiple USB but absolutely you are 100% correct everyone needs to complete their own due diligence and as we always say YMMV!

Totally agree with your assessment here. Some folks need analog outs, this machine is not for them.
I feel like it's even harder to find a receiver with analog multichannel inputs. I wound up buying a Marantz SR6014 in 2020 only because it was the least expensive unit I could find that had all the features I wanted, including 7.1 RCA in, but that meant spending more than I would like for more channels of amplification/processing than I need.

Where is the talk about the UBR-X200, which does have 7.1 analog outs and XLR stereo outs. along with other higher performance features over the UBR-X100. I would surely like to hear of end user experience with the UBR-X200, especially in relation to some of the comments above about DSF and even FLAC playback for that matter, plus overall disc compatibility with Blu-ray,, DVD-A, and SACD - since I am heard about issues on other players, and experienced some minor compatibility issues with my Oppo 95 on some Blu-rays.

Where is the talk about the UBR-X200, which does have 7.1 analog outs and XLR stereo outs. along with other higher performance features over the UBR-X100. I would surely like to hear of end user experience with the UBR-X200, especially in relation to some of the comments above about DSF and even FLAC playback for that matter, plus overall disc compatibility with Blu-ray,, DVD-A, and SACD - since I am heard about issues on other players, and experienced some minor compatibility issues with my Oppo 95 on some Blu-rays.
There is a thread about these players on avsforum.com.

Back