Recommendation for a decent and not expensive 4K player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Another vote for the UBP-X800M2. It’s the only player I use and it plays DVD-Audio, Blu-ray audio, SACD and ripped files perfectly. The Dolby Vision toggle is a little annoying and it also shuts off after 20 minutes of inactivity, something which you cannot change. Another inconvenience is there’s no gapless playback for ripped files and you can’t skip between chapters on .mkv files. But the pros far outweigh the cons!
Does the X800M2 play multi-channel via the USB port? I see that it will play FLAC, DSF, DFF, WAV etc.

(It annoys me that my Marantz AVR will play only 2-channel sources via the USB. At least that's what the manual says. I use my Oppo, so no big deal.)

bookofsaturdays

Does the X800M2 play multi-channel via the USB port? I see that it will play FLAC, DSF, DFF, WAV etc.

(It annoys me that my Marantz AVR will play only 2-channel sources via the USB. At least that's what the manual says. I use my Oppo, so no big deal.)
It absolutely does, I do it all the time. Mainly FLAC and DSF. As I said the gapless playback issue is a little annoying especially for songs that segue into each other, but other than that it’s a great all around player.

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
It absolutely does, I do it all the time. Mainly FLAC and DSF. As I said the gapless playback issue is a little annoying especially for songs that segue into each other, but other than that it’s a great all around player.
Sounds like a great player especially for the money. Regarding the X800M2 gapless playback issue: Can it play CUE files? I know that my Oppo 205 won't play DSF files without gaps. I have to rip the SACD with a CUE file. The CUE file allows me to select tracks from giant DFF file of the whole album.

Also, the Oppo 205 won't play gaplessly with ALACs (and perhaps some other formats.) They have to be WAV or FLAC, otherwise there are gaps.

bookofsaturdays

Sounds like a great player especially for the money. Regarding the X800M2 gapless playback issue: Can it play CUE files? I know that my Oppo 205 won't play DSF files without gaps. I have to rip the SACD with a CUE file. The CUE file allows me to select tracks from giant DFF file of the whole album.

Also, the Oppo 205 won't play gaplessly with ALACs (and perhaps some other formats.) They have to be WAV or FLAC, otherwise there are gaps.
I’ve ripped some discs with CUE files and have kept them in the folder with the DSF/FLAC files on my hard drive but I’ve never used one and considering they don’t show up as a file on the Sony player, my guess is that it doesn’t recognize them. Not entirely sure though!

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
OK, guys, thank you so much for the feedback!!!

Seems I am getting the Sony UBP-X800M2 even though I am not a big fan of Sony hardware (sez the guy who has TWO Sony BluRay players)...and although I do not like giving the Bezos monster my dough, I always think that I am giving some money to the poor bastards who work there!

Cheers!

bookofsaturdays

OK, guys, thank you so much for the feedback!!!

Seems I am getting the Sony UBP-X800M2 even though I am not a big fan of Sony hardware (sez the guy who has TWO Sony BluRay players)...and although I do not like giving the Bezos monster my dough, I always think that I am giving some money to the poor bastards who work there!

Cheers!
Good choice, I think you’ll really love it. Another cool feature on it is that it’s got 2 HDMI outputs, 1 for audio/video and 1 for audio only, so if you’re like me and have an older receiver that doesn’t do 4K, you can still bitstream to your receiver and get 4K picture straight to your TV. The only thing I wish it had were stereo analog outputs, which are on the higher end model.

SeeMoreDigital

I’ve ripped some discs with CUE files and have kept them in the folder with the DSF/FLAC files on my hard drive but I’ve never used one and considering they don’t show up as a file on the Sony player, my guess is that it doesn’t recognize them. Not entirely sure though!
I'm a bit of a .cue (track navigation) file fan. I back-up all my audio discs into one long continuous audio stream...

jhw59

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I’ve had mine since December 2020 and there’s been two firmware updates since, i’d be lying if I said what they were though
Try searching for your model on the AVS forum, might be some info there. I've found it helpful in the past.

madscot

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Try searching for your model on the AVS forum, might be some info there. I've found it helpful in the past.
To be honest i’m not that bothered as long as it works lol

karlkastner

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Based on all the endorsements for the Sony UBPX-800M2, I just bought the region free version from Bombay Electronics for $375 out the door. It was on sale and there was a 5% promo code. (PROMO5)

I'm going to run the HDMI video straight to my Sony 4K projector, and the HDMI audio to my Oppo 105. My goal was to add 4K and multi-region capability, without hunting down a used Oppo 203/205 and modding it. Should I also use the Sony over the Oppo for spinning SACD and DVD-Audio, to reduce mileage on the Oppo transport?

In case anybody else was wondering, I asked Sony about upscaling heirarchy. I gave them my player and projector model numbers. It's better(at least in my case) to let the projector do the upscaling to 4K, rather than the player. But that may vary with different Player-TV/Projector combos, depending on relative sophistication?

Thanks, as always, for the great insights.