Recording 5.1 output to 6-Channel input

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I addressed this question a while back and got excellent information on this topic. And now that I am trying this again years later, I looked up the topic with a search here and could not find my old posting.

So here goes again if anyone could help me. I have an out of print high-res disc that has a known problem ripping. Nobody that I know has ever got a rip of the multi-channel layer.

So I am going to record the analog outputs of all six channels to 24/96kHz digital. Then cut them into songs from the multi-wav, and encode each of the tunes into FLAC.

I need to know in advance the assignment of the six chans to the multitrack recorder which is most likely to work out correctly when the Oppo gets these files via JRiver. So if someone can chime in with what worked out well for them I would appreciate it.

I think it is, but correct me if I am wrong.

1. Left / Front
2. Right / Front
3. Left / Surround
4. Right / Surround
5. Center
6. LFE

Or is it this:

1. Left / Front
2. Right / Front
3. Center
4. LFE
5. Left / Surround
6. Right / Surround

I addressed this question a while back and got excellent information on this topic. And now that I am trying this again years later, I looked up the topic with a search here and could not find my old posting.

So here goes again if anyone could help me. I have an out of print high-res disc that has a known problem ripping. Nobody that I know has ever got a rip of the multi-channel layer.

So I am going to record the analog outputs of all six channels to 24/96kHz digital. Then cut them into songs from the multi-wav, and encode each of the tunes into FLAC.

I need to know in advance the assignment of the six chans to the multitrack recorder which is most likely to work out correctly when the Oppo gets these files via JRiver. So if someone can chime in with what worked out well for them I would appreciate it.

I think it is, but correct me if I am wrong.

1. Left / Front
2. Right / Front
3. Left / Surround
4. Right / Surround
5. Center
6. LFE

Or is it this:

1. Left / Front
2. Right / Front
3. Center
4. LFE
5. Left / Surround
6. Right / Surround

It's the second list. What is the title of the un-rippable disc?

You should record the 6 channels digitally. You'll get a 1:1 copy with zero loss. Don't worry about the channel order. Just record all 6. You can always shuffle that around on the computer after the fact. Expected channel order is L R C Lfe Ls Rs though.

I'd try ripping it with a few different drives though before giving up and ripping in real time. Maybe try a few friends' computers and such.

What disc? Maybe someone has already ripped it and can help you "verify" your files.

You should record the 6 channels digitally. You'll get a 1:1 copy with zero loss. Don't worry about the channel order. Just record all 6. You can always shuffle that around on the computer after the fact. Expected channel order is L R C Lfe Ls Rs though.

I'd try ripping it with a few different drives through before giving up and ripping in real time. Maybe try a few friends' computers and such.

What disc? Maybe someone has already ripped it and can help you "verify" your files.
Bob Marley - Legend 30th (BluRay) - I had a friend who knows and understands BR discs and got nowhere with it. I figured since I have a good Tascam 6-track with line-in setting, I should just go for it with analog and set levels perfect, (all channels same levels) not trying to correct anything but just get it right without slamming the peaks.

Bob Marley - Legend 30th (BluRay) - I had a friend who knows and understands BR discs and got nowhere with it. I figured since I have a good Tascam 6-track with line-in setting, I should just go for it with analog and set levels perfect, (all channels same levels) not trying to correct anything but just get it right without slamming the peaks.
I had no issue ripping either stereo or surround on the Bob Marley used MKV then HomerJAU's MMH.

I too have a 6 track digital Tascam which I must connect up to my SM2 and capture my vinyl - along with lots of other things in the to do to tray!

I figured since I have a good Tascam 6-track with line-in setting, I should just go for it with analog and set levels perfect, (all channels same levels) not trying to correct anything but just get it right without slamming the peaks.
If you're recording at line level (confirm your inputs are set to -10dBV, not +4dBU), there will be no levels to worry about, assuming the output volume from your Blu-ray player is fixed or at 100%.

Analog line level is made to be pretty easy and forgiving to work with and connect from device to device. The critical bits in analog are dealing with the micro signals from phono cartridges and microphones.

Balanced connections are easy peasy. Unbalanced connections can be as well but mind ground loops and rf noise.

Some of the stuff that gets complaints like poor mastering - especially the portable device volume war aesthetic - is magnitudes more damaging than an analog connection transfer done correctly would be.

That said...
Optical drives aren't expensive if you might need to replace yours. Also this disc is shared widely in the places that goes on. Leading to - I don't think there's general trouble ripping it.

I had read others' comments on rip issues. But good to hear it's not that common with this title.

Here is the SMPTE standard
SMPTE 320M.jpg

Back